XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

rear window regulator mystery

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default rear window regulator mystery

Yesterday, I replaced my right hand rear 1/4 window regulator. The glass was in the up position. After reconnecting the ground to the battery the window automatically went down. I suspect that was the right thing for it to do since the other window was down, as was the top. I went to close the top and here is what happened.. The top went up, but the latch did not close, therefor the windows did not go up. I opened the valve on the hydraulic pump and manually locked the latch using the allen key in the slot above the mirror. Sounds like a limit switch is not working. I also noticed 2 wires near the right hand hydraulic cylinder, very small gage wire maybe 22 or 24 ga. with a rubber connector on the end . One is by the bottom end of the cylinder, the other near the top, inside the rubber connector, there looks to be a brass screw head, with the screw part sheared off. could these be the limit switches?? I attached a pic. HELP !!!!

Attached Thumbnails rear window regulator mystery-img_0450.jpg  
Old 07-11-2016, 12:21 PM

I should also add that the right hand hydraulic ram moves up and down. I don't think that is supposed to happen. Am I correct?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default switch

Originally Posted by dr.fixit
Yesterday, I replaced my right hand rear 1/4 window regulator. The glass was in the up position. After reconnecting the ground to the battery the window automatically went down. I suspect that was the right thing for it to do since the other window was down, as was the top. I went to close the top and here is what happened.. The top went up, but the latch did not close, therefor the windows did not go up. I opened the valve on the hydraulic pump and manually locked the latch using the allen key in the slot above the mirror. Sounds like a limit switch is not working. I also noticed 2 wires near the right hand hydraulic cylinder, very small gage wire maybe 22 or 24 ga. with a rubber connector on the end . One is by the bottom end of the cylinder, the other near the top, inside the rubber connector, there looks to be a brass screw head, with the screw part sheared off. could these be the limit switches?? I attached a pic. HELP !!!!
Those switches are part of the operation of the latch operation. is it broken off? or unpluged?

Old 07-15-2016, 01:08 PM

Both the open and close limit switches were broken, so the entire roof closing sequence was out of sync. With the help of Dave ( dsnyder586) I replaced the right hand cylinder and everything is back in working order. Once again, thanks Dave.