XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild kit or full trans pan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rebuild kit or full trans pan?

While hanging around my house during this Covid-19 shutdown, I Noticed some leaking trans oil on my driveway from my 2000 xk8,
and now on a recent trip noticed a hard shifter, and it took a short time for the car to warm up and shift smoothly. So I believe it is
time, with 90,000 miles, to do the trans pan/filter replacement.
I’ve been looking around for parts and recently found a gasket Kit and filter for this model. Every post I’ve seen here has
shown getting the entire assembly of pan/filter/gaskets/fluid. This kit is relatively inexpensive, and I was thinking of getting it and
trying my luck before spending a lot more on the full assembly. I have included the link at the bottom of this post for this part.
Has anyone ever attempted cleaning up the existing pan and replacing just the filter or am I way off base. I haven't even begun doing
this repair yet. I am just in the research stage. I will not drive again until the repair is complete. I have read through all the posts I can
find on replacing fluid, pan and filter assembly,
(Lots of good advice everybody) watched some youtube videos outside of this forum along with some directed from this forum, and feel
pretty confident on how to do this repair. Most of you are far more experienced at this stuff than I am but I thoroughly enjoy working on
my personal cars and never procede with a repair before thoroughly researching what is needed. Because I am stuck at home for an
undetermined time now, i have all the time I need to accomplish this repair.
Any help and suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

2000 XK8 convertible 90,030 miles!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-T...Display%3A4.0L

Old 04-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

That kit does not include the pan, and you don't need the pan. You also don't need the gasket on the left, but it would be nice to have a new o-ring, which some kits include. Clean the metal pan and magnets and you're all set.

Auto Trans Filter Kit-5HP-24, 5 Speed Trans Pro-King FK354 | eBay

You may have a problem removing screws and have to use a cold chisel to get some of them started. I have used hex head cap screws to replace them. Don't over tighten on assembly and work from the center out alternating from side to side. There is probably a DIY on the forum or in jagrepair.com.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Good DIY job to attempt

Agree your symptoms point to either bad or low level ATF in the gearbox.

I presume your 2000 XK8 has the ZF5HP24 gearbox, and I’ve done the job you’re attempting. DIY-able to the amateur home enthusiast like me.

If you feel ambitious, there’s also a cheap Transgo PR valve upgrade for the valve body that also reduces the risk of a A Drum failure. Again, I did that but it’s not for the faint hearted.

A bit of general advice, have spare T27 bits as these may be needed as the pan bolts will be tough. You may strip the bit. You may want to reconsider changing the bolts to new or at least have spares to hand as they could snap or round off. A bit of experience in removing stuck broken bolts would be helpful... just in case.

I reinforced the pan gasket with RTV too. There’s a torque pattern too for the pan bolts when you tighten up.

Working around the hot exhaust for the ATF refill has has caused many a burn, so be careful.

So making a tool like this will help in the re-fill.

You’ll need to have an IR temp gauge or be able to read the temp over the OBD for the filling operation.

Make sure you get the right compatible ATF fluid, and do not overfill. Too much is just as bad as too low. Too much and the ATF will foam and over heat.

Good luck and I wish you happy endeavours.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Thank you. I will look at the parts you suggested. I have read about the pan Torx bolt removal issues on the pan and have lots of years removing broken stripped bolts. Happily will not have too many problems, but will purchase some replacement bolts “just in case”!

Old 04-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

If you do elect to change the main pressure valve 'while you're in there', there's a superb how-to by BobRoy, with additional notes by DonB here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1648275

It's certainly worth a look either way.

I have read that some of the cheaper filters aren't of particularly good quality, so you may consider the proper Filtran replacement. It's available as a LandRover part, which will be less expensive than the Jaguar equivalent, or you have the CTSC in the US which is a good source. LandRover part #s are:

O-ring = p/n TYX 000100
Filter = p/n LPW 000030
Gasket = p/n TYF 000110

Vaseline works well to 'stick' the gasket in place when you're putting everything together.

Good luck with the torx T27s.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
DavidYau (04-18-2020), GT'thusiast (04-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 04:06 PM

Thanks. Will look into it. T27, these wont be the first time I’ve had to play with something like these!

Old 04-18-2020, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Got to admit your a more brave man than me. I took one look at the bolts holding the pan on and handed it over to the professionals. After it was done I asked how he dealt with those bolts and apparently they have a "special tool" to remove them. Take a look at the work done on my gearbox Click Me To See . Good luck whatever you decide to do.