XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent X100 Values

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Recent X100 Values

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a recent increase in asking prices on X100 models?

A couple of years ago I was told by a trustworthy dealer that my clean 2002 XKR convertible with 75k miles was work at most $10,000.

More recently I've seen individuals asking up to $25,000 for similar models. I highly doubt they obtained that price, but I honestly don't remember seeing such a high asking price since about 2008.

I have no intention of selling, even if my car skyrocketed in value. The car has value beyond money to me.

I only ask because I have fantasy that the X100 is a future classic... I'm looking for any signs that values are going up thus realizing my "future classic" dream!

Thanks!!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

1. The current market will always determine what any car is worth. Asking prices are just that and there will always be sellers who are dreamers.

2. There is no such thing as a "trustworthy dealer!"

Old 02-21-2016, 11:56 PM

Thanks for your reply StuG. I understand your point, but I'm wondering if there's been any apparent appreciation in the X100 models in the past year or so.

I have to imagine these models will at least bottom out at some point... or can they just keep going down in value?

On a side note, nice stable of vehicles! I hope to get there someday... must be nice to circulate through them to avoid putting too many miles on any single vehicle! That 1994 XJ40 is an inspiration for me, because I'm hoping to keep my '02 Jag for many years to come.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually, a "future classic" hits rock bottom price somewhere around 20-27 years since production date. Then, the prices can go up if the model is sexy enough, production numbers are not big, if the car meant something in the automotive industry.

So for the xk8 we have a lot of arguments to say it will become a classic:

Production numbers are not big - if i remember correctly the coupe was around 80k units. Xkr models even less.

It is the nephew of the e-type, a car that has reached astronomical value

It is a delicate and complicated car, that means there will be less and less models in existence.

It was designed by ian callum, one of the most famous car designers in the world. It was the last generation of cars that didn't have to comply with pedestrian safety regulations, hence the amazing shape.

So i think we're looking at a future classic. Anyway for me it is already a beautiful and priceless car.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:08 AM

On the whole, cars are not a good investment. Unless you own one that is very rare, it is not likely to increase in value. Just drive them and enjoy them.

Cheers,

Stu

Old 02-22-2016, 12:14 AM

Looks like we should perpetuate this thread for roughly 15 more years in order to find some answers.

Off topic ... Stu - I really like the way you hung your front plate from the bottom of the bumper. How'd you do that?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 AM

Simple really. Just drilled two 1/4" holes and bolted it on. I also have custom number plates (XKR-001) and we can order them in either standard size or slimline. I have slimline which easily clears those concrete wheel stops in most parking lots. I don't think you have that option in the USA.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

In Germany the average value rises,
last 3 years about 5.000 EUR.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:52 AM
Received 252 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Designer

Originally Posted by Trilapis
Usually, a "future classic" hits rock bottom price somewhere around 20-27 years since production date. Then, the prices can go up if the model is sexy enough, production numbers are not big, if the car meant something in the automotive industry.

Production numbers are not big - if i remember correctly the coupe was around 80k units. Xkr models even less.

It is the nephew of the e-type, a car that has reached astronomical value

It is a delicate and complicated car, that means there will be less and less models in existence.

It was designed by ian callum, one of the most famous car designers in the world. It was the last generation of cars that didn't have to comply with pedestrian safety regulations, hence the amazing shape.

So i think we're looking at a future classic. Anyway for me it is already a beautiful and priceless car.
Hi all.

It is a deep insult to the late Geoff Lawson to state that Ian Callum designed the XK8.
Geoff Lawson was the chief designer for XK8 (X100), XJ (X300, X308, X350/8), S-type (X200) and the X-type (X400).
Hi died way too young in 1999.

Ian Callum started with the new XK (X150) and continued with the XF, the new XJ (X351), the F-type, the XE and the horrendous F-Pace.
None of these new cars carry the genuine Jaguar DNA.

The following users liked this post:
K.Westra (02-26-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Trilapis

In the US, I would say rock bottom usually comes between 8 and 16 years - maybe a little later as cars become more reliable.

This is when Trade in values are crap, and even dedicated original or second owners are tired of fixing problems, and cars go to the salvage yard because they are "uneconomical" to fix and the downward spiral begins. This is when to start looking for the right car.

At 20-27 years "collectible" modern car values are already on the up swing. They still may be cheap at 20-27 years, but they were likely even cheaper earlier.

Back in the 1990's, 1980's musclecars (Grand Nationals, 5.0 Mustangs, etc. were $2500 up to $7000 for a really nice one). Last year, I sold my '86 GN for $22K.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I don't see a bottom yet. Check the 'sold listings' in the left column on ebay. The cars that were actually auctioned have the final bid price, and there are many $5K to 7K sales for X100 unless they have exceptionally low mileage.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default X100 Values?

Cobble Beach Summer 2015

2004 XK8 summer 2015

I bought my 2004 XK8 convertible just over a year ago for $12,000. That is Canadian and it was convertible in November, so I probably got a bit of a break because of the season, as he was asking $14000. The car was not pristine but it only took a little elbow grease to detail her up to nice condition. I have an automatic link for Auto trader Canada to send me every new listing for 2002-2006 XK8's. Although there are not a lot in Canada the ones that have shown up seem to be from $16 - $21 thousand, so my feeling is that there is upward pressure on the price. All that means is that I feel a little better when I put some money into her like rebuilding the rear end this winter. Realize the Canadian Dollar is only worth 70 cents US.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:34 AM

Great buy. That blue and ivory color combo is beautiful!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oyster
Hi all.

It is a deep insult to the late Geoff Lawson to state that Ian Callum designed the XK8.
Geoff Lawson was the chief designer for XK8 (X100), XJ (X300, X308, X350/8), S-type (X200) and the X-type (X400).
Hi died way too young in 1999.

Ian Callum started with the new XK (X150) and continued with the XF, the new XJ (X351), the F-type, the XE and the horrendous F-Pace.
None of these new cars carry the genuine Jaguar DNA.
Sorry, i was confusing it with the DB7, with which the XK8 shares the platform, i thought of it sharing the designer too. My bad. Anyway here's Callum here talking about car design changing
http://youtu.be/WOpT3DBhl0Y

The following users liked this post:
oyster (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my first Jag (XKR 2006 last/victory edition) in 2014 and was looking for a potential future classic that would at least hold its value before eventually rising in the distant future.

My impression is that the different world markets differ greatly depending on tax, number on the road etc. They are not that common in Norway, but it seems there are many more in the UK which will surely affect prices.

There are also different models and the later models with all the bugs worked out usually appreciate first. XKRs should develop better due to rarity and special editions even more so.

After owning mine for soon two years I see that the rarer models with low milage in good condition are on the rise in Europe (see: mobile.de). There is a convertible last edition for sale for 40K EUR, although it´s been there for a while.

I think it will take a few more years for these models to become classics. The retro design will surly become cool for the mainstream again one day.

In the meantime let the snow melt and on with the summer driving season!

Last edited by NorJag; 02-22-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by NorJag
I bought my first Jag (XKR 2006 last/victory edition) in 2014 and was looking for a potential future classic that would at least hold its value before eventually rising in the distant future.

My impression is that the different world markets differ greatly depending on tax, number on the road etc. They are not that common in Norway, but it seems there are many more in the UK which will surely affect prices.

There are also different models and the later models with all the bugs worked out usually appreciate first. XKRs should develop better due to rarity and special editions even more so.

After owning mine for soon two years I see that the rarer models with low milage in good condition are on the rise in Europe (see: mobile.de). There is a convertible last edition for sale for 40K EUR, although it´s been there for a while.

I think it will take a few more years for these models to become classics. The retro design will surly become cool for the mainstream again one day.

In the meantime let the snow melt and on with the summer driving season!

I understand the below XKR model has steadily appreciated in Scandinavia, largely due to its excellent winter mobility and accurate fire control systems:

The following 3 users liked this post by Ragsdale:
athiker81 (06-01-2016), jimborino (09-14-2022), NorJag (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
I don't see a bottom yet. Check the 'sold listings' in the left column on ebay. The cars that were actually auctioned have the final bid price, and there are many $5K to 7K sales for X100 unless they have exceptionally low mileage.
When I bought my 84K mile, rust free, everything seems to work, good paint/body, clean carfax, cam tensioner repaired '97 XK8 coupe last month for $4500, I felt confident that was the "bottom"... until I found out the guy I bought it from paid $3,250.

The values start increasing when people stop junking cars and start restoring them. I've noticed that the "restorable" XK8's have been selling locally on craigslist. The LS1 Swap kits should help give these cars second lives.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

As higher mile cars become the norm the lower mile cars will become more valuable. Which sometimes lifts the value of even the higher mile cars. I've seen that happen with other models in the past

Old 02-22-2016, 08:30 PM

I have to assume there will also be an upward push on prices due to current X100 owners' apparent devotion to that model.

People who own or buy X100s at this point probably have a passion for the car that goes beyond money.

For that reason, sellers will probably be increasingly reluctant to part with their cars and buyers will be increasingly willing to pay out for clean models or parts.

I've seen North American sales figures online stating sales for all X100 models were typically between 1,500 - 3,000 units per year. For comparison, in just the United States, Ford sold around 60,000 mustangs in the first half of 2015.

With such low production numbers, the little styling tweaks that make every few years unique, and the attrition of time, it's likely each X100 owner now possesses a car that would be difficult to find in duplicate.

On top of everything else, the X100 was the final model to stick with Jaguar's true iconography.

But, I'm obviously biased... time will tell if the rest of the world has the same passion for X100s.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 PM

Here's a decent indicator of present values. Recent completed sales on ebay, covering only about one month back.

jaguar xkr convertible | eBay

The black prices indicate failed listings, the green prices indicate a sale was completed at that price.

I believe the above link includes just XKRs.

These prices seem to be better than what I saw a year or two ago, but it's been many years since I did an intensive search of prices.

Last edited by Ragsdale; 02-23-2016 at 12:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Recent X100 Values