XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent X100 Values

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NorJag
I think it will take a few more years for these models to become classics. The retro design will surly become cool for the mainstream again one day.

In the meantime let the snow melt and on with the summer driving season!
This.

Let's ask again in at least another 3-5 years, instead of every 3-5 days here. I'm as anxious as anyone about it, but time will tell. The design language should fair very nicely, but there's little desire for anyone to pine after 10-15 yr. old 'OLD' cars that are otherwise too modern to be considered classics yet. Now's the time to buy! I'm hoping to find a matching coupe in the next couple years...

Old 02-23-2016, 01:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
This.

Let's ask again in at least another 3-5 years, instead of every 3-5 days here. I'm as anxious as anyone about it, but time will tell. The design language should fair very nicely, but there's little desire for anyone to pine after 10-15 yr. old 'OLD' cars that are otherwise too modern to be considered classics yet. Now's the time to buy! I'm hoping to find a matching coupe in the next couple years...

Well put. Just been fixing up aesthetics on the XKR lately, after a prolonged period of very limited use.

Unlike other cars I've owned, every time I focus on the XKR it rekindles the excitement of first getting behind its wheel. Hence, the frequent posts!

I'm thinking about going for the antenna shut off switch mod... that would put my recent XKR excitement to good use.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Cheap and easy, too...always good things .

Old 02-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragsdale
Thanks for your reply StuG. I understand your point, but I'm wondering if there's been any apparent appreciation in the X100 models in the past year or so.
I guess I come from a long usage of most models of Jaguars during the past 47+ years. The only one that had any "resale" significance to me was forced by a nagging mate, who with an outrageous amount of money, saw me part with my very original 65 Series 1 4.2L E-Type recently. As second owner, I had enjoyed for over 35 years, the car that Enzo Ferrari once famously endorsed as "the best car ever made"! To rub salt into sore wounds this mate is now undertaking a ground up restoration to better-than-new Concourse condition.

Whilst I am loath to quote AU$ (currently AU$1 = about US$0.70), by the time he has finished, he will have invested about AU$120,000 in purchase plus resto. Why? Because the market now rates THAT car in THAT condition at between AU$150,000 and AU$200,000.

Undoubtedly, the coolest bargain that went a-begging was the advertised sale of the entire Ecurie Ecosse outfit (was it really passed in at 8 million Brit pounds?) that included the entire stable of Le Mans C Type and D Type winning Jaguars! Over the past 5 years we have seen a few genuine D Types sold here - but AU$1,000,000 would only get you a starting bid!

As a brand new owner of an impeccable, low mileage 2004 4.2L XK8 to sit alongside our 2007 Twin Turbo S-Type, I believe that both these models (and perhaps late XJR) are future classics - and I heartached over every penny I had to scrounge to meet my XK8's purchase price. Yes, values here are on the rise for both the X100 and X150 . . . the word is getting out . . . because, even the overweight Series 3 E Type is pulling huge prices and it's not half the car represented in the X100 and X150!

I endorse the response from my Brisbane neighbour [StuG] except for his comment about dealers. This is not the first time I have dealt with the smaller family owned Roadbend Jaguar in Perth, Western Australia, some 3,000+ miles away. It is the first time I have ever bought a car "sight unseen" and never test driven. Consolation is they sold 3 others that week - all in same way (2 were AU$100,000+) and all went into Queensland. I know the chap who bought the cheaper one - a late X100 XKR at a cool AU$86,000.

Based on my research and desire to buy, our market averages for premium condition cars -
  • XK8 (4.0L n/a pre MY03) = AU$35-45,000
  • XKR (4.0L s/c pre MY03) = AU$40-50,000
  • XK8 (4.2L n/a post MY03) = AU$50-60,000
  • XKR (4.2L s/c post MY03) = AU$60-80,000
  • X150s = if you must ask, you can't afford one!
If you translate those into your local currencies, you will see that we Aussies pay a hefty premium for top quality, low mileage Jaguars. Therefore, they tend to be well looked after and many are in the hands of enthusiasts. What these figures don't show, but I have observed, is that prices are trending upwards . . . just as you suspected.

Cheers,
Ken

Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,419 Posts

There is no question that prices on the X100 have crept up over the past few years. Not a huge appreciation but noticeable. And late model 2005-2006 models are now in many cases listed for higher prices than 2007-2008 X150 models. As for "classic" status, I think it depends on your definition. If the definition is related to price appreciation it would be minimal; but if it refers to timeless design coupled with enthusiastic ownership and restoration I believe the X100 platform is most definitely a CLASSIC. No one is out there restoring 1997 Toyota Camrys, but look at the activity on this forum, alone, and you'll easily discover the passion the X100 evokes. These are classics whether or not they ever achieve high priced status.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
I endorse the response from my Brisbane neighbour [StuG] except for his comment about dealers. This is not the first time I have dealt with the smaller family owned Roadbend Jaguar in Perth, Western Australia, some 3,000+ miles away. It is the first time I have ever bought a car "sight unseen" and never test driven. Consolation is they sold 3 others that week - all in same way (2 were AU$100,000+) and all went into Queensland. I know the chap who bought the cheaper one - a late X100 XKR at a cool AU$86,000.

Based on my research and desire to buy, our market averages for premium condition cars -
If you translate those into your local currencies, you will see that we Aussies pay a hefty premium for top quality, low mileage Jaguars. Therefore, they tend to be well looked after and many are in the hands of enthusiasts. What these figures don't show, but I have observed, is that prices are trending upwards . . . just as you suspected.

Cheers,
Ken

Ken,

Roadbend in Perth is one of the very few exceptions when it comes to second hand car dealers, just as there are only one or two in Brisbane whom I would purchase a car from.

And yes, cars are very expensive here compared to the US & UK. I got a great deal on my 2001 XKR last year ($AUD30,000/$US21,000) only because the seller was too lazy to fix a few things and have it detailed.

Cheers,

Stu

Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy

It is the first time I have ever bought a car "sight unseen" and never test driven. Consolation is they sold 3 others that week - all in same way (2 were AU$100,000+) and all went into Queensland. I know the chap who bought the cheaper one - a late X100 XKR at a cool AU$86,000.

Cheers,
Ken

You are not kidding, I checked the prices for 1997-2001 XK8 in Australia and they ranged from (AUS $) a low of $29,900 for one with 160,000 km to $46,000 for a 1997 XK8 !

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I'll sell my wife's 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible to any interested Aussie for that low of $29,900 (US$) in a heartbeat. Hell, I'll sell it for $25,000 right now! I might have to hide from her for a few weeks, though....

Old 02-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I'll sell my wife's 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible to any interested Aussie for that low of $29,900 (US$) in a heartbeat. Hell, I'll sell it for $25,000 right now! I might have to hide from her for a few weeks, though....

Apparently you would have to convert it to RHD. Evidently used to be 15 years old was exempt from RHD requirement but I read they changed it to 1989 or earlier only. (some kind of car club member exemption and limited driving category too). At any rate that explains why folks are not shipping container loads of X100's from USA to Australia and tripling their investment.

Comparing the two markets does illustrate an interesting aspect of supply and demand and value though.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It's pretty hard to do an internet price comparison search as anyone can ask whatever they feel like. Fifteen years ago the best of the best wound up on Ebay. They continued to raise fees out of sight until the good material disappeared and so did the buyers. Today Ebay is nothing more than a last resort dumping ground. I spent last winter in Southern Fla. and looked at several Ebay XKR's. Not a single one of them passed muster. That 20 foot photo doesn't show repaints, dry rot rubber, or maintenance neglect. The sellers certainly do not advertise that. That is why you see such low and sketchy price results. The really choice cars are snapped up before the sellers resort to Ebay or any of the FREE Auto advertising sites.

As with every desirable category, the very best late x100's should eventually escalate in price as the supply diminishes with time & mileage.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

Hi, I have been a regular over on the xjs forum, first post here.
The higher relative prices here in Australia are just that, relative. I often find myself lusting after quite a few cars seen overseas in USA and even UK at prices we can only dream of but l think the relative difference between buy and sell price is pretty much the same. We pay more, we get more.
I recently aquired an excellent condition 2000 XKR "with R features" (released here in July 2000 and as far as l can determine only here) at a price of $35,000. AUD (total on the road) which l was more than happy with.
When researching the purchase l was told on good authority that present owners of these cars are not selling as values were no longer declining, l am hoping that is true.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:47 PM

Funny thing is when friends (or curious strangers looking at my 2000 XK8 when parked in town) are told it is worth at the most probably $11,000 they are incredulous and think I am kidding. Their assumption is $30,000 plus (one even guessed $50,000). Problem is that I have yet to translate that into a sale at my appraised value. P.S. hate to be selling but I am out of garage space. Will never sell the StingRay and my other cars are not worth much or are too useful to sell (RR will soon be for sale)

Old 03-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
There is no question that prices on the X100 have crept up over the past few years. Not a huge appreciation but noticeable. And late model 2005-2006 models are now in many cases listed for higher prices than 2007-2008 X150 models. As for "classic" status, I think it depends on your definition. If the definition is related to price appreciation it would be minimal; but if it refers to timeless design coupled with enthusiastic ownership and restoration I believe the X100 platform is most definitely a CLASSIC. No one is out there restoring 1997 Toyota Camrys, but look at the activity on this forum, alone, and you'll easily discover the passion the X100 evokes. These are classics whether or not they ever achieve high priced status.
I noticed the same phenomenon. I was quite confused lately to see late X100s closing for higher than some X150s.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 64vette
Funny thing is when friends (or curious strangers looking at my 2000 XK8 when parked in town) are told it is worth at the most probably $11,000 they are incredulous and think I am kidding. Their assumption is $30,000 plus (one even guessed $50,000). Problem is that I have yet to translate that into a sale at my appraised value. P.S. hate to be selling but I am out of garage space. Will never sell the StingRay and my other cars are not worth much or are too useful to sell (RR will soon be for sale)

Same here. A new resident in my neighborhood stopped me yesterday and asked me about what he thought was my brand-new Jaguar. Very surprised to hear it's coming up on 14 years old and probably worth less than his Nissan Murano!

Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 PM

So thought I would add my recent experience. I love(d) my 2000 XK8 but we just have too many cars and it was the car that made the most sense to sell right now (the Silver Dawn is next).

I have had it advertised at a strong but broker appraised realistic price because of superb condition at $10,500. The car has 96,000 miles, but good service history just freshened up and all the required updates.

In 3 months I had three potential serious buyers (yes, only 3). All three said it was the nicest one they had seen or driven. All said the price was fair. First two went with new cars instead. Third gentleman bought it.

So there you go, a really nice car will bring a pretty good price, and I think, yes, more than a couple of years ago. Honestly hated to see it go, but practicality strikes.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:19 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

The 05-06 have definitely been going up. It's happened before on modern cars, just look at the Porsche 993 & 928gts! Those cars have doubled in price in the past 3 years!

Yes, the newer x150 is better in every way. But it's not as beautiful and I don't see it becoming a classic, values are starting to reflect this.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Prices are going up indeed

Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My Jag dealer wants to buy my XKR. I told him no chance If the Jag dealer is offering cash money to buy my XKR's i know enough!

Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

It will someday become a classic, but most of us will be long gone by then.

I for one am glad the prices are continuing to be low because it forces a lot of marginal XK8's to be parted out for used pieces that I need to keep my 20 year-old future classic running.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
It will someday become a classic, but most of us will be long gone by then.

I for one am glad the prices are continuing to be low because it forces a lot of marginal XK8's to be parted out for used pieces that I need to keep my 20 year-old future classic running.
I like that too. The secondary parts market is key to keeping fun cars on the road affordably. The less junker cars, the more you have to buy at the dealership.

I just have fun. If I make money, great. Otherwise it's been a very cheap and fun ride even if I got zero dollars for my car.

Quick Reply: Recent X100 Values