XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Recommendation for seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Recommendation for seat covers

Hello,

I'm looking to buy front seat driver cover, trim code SDZ (cashmere). The seat is pretty badly ripped and beyond repair. I spoke to this vendor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281056655451?ul_noapp=true

22K 100% positive reviews are pretty strong indicator, but in person recommendation are better. Does anyone have any recommendation? I prefer getting only 1 seat cover, would have to pay for 2 with this vendor. This vendor also has faux leather seats that are approximately half the price, I was leaning toward leather, does anyone have prior experience with faux leather seats.

Thanks
-Bhaskar

Old 03-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 390 Posts

I can't comment on the durability of this manufacturer's faux leather but fake leather does not 'breathe' , that is you will perspire while sitting on them in a hot environment. Typically the texture and coloring (same material) is applied on top of a surface. Today it generally is polyurethane of some sort. The pricing is tempting but if you are keeping the car go for the leather.
wj

Old 03-19-2020, 04:04 AM
Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts

I think you would be amazed at what a professional can so with something that looks 'beyond repair', so I would consider looking at an upholsterer to see what they think.

I bought a set of seats for a BMW that were in a shocking state, with rips and wear, and using a repair kit I managed to get them looking about 95% perfect, and I'm definitely not a professional. Put some pictures up of the damage.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by wymjym
I can't comment on the durability of this manufacturer's faux leather but fake leather does not 'breathe' , that is you will perspire while sitting on them in a hot environment. Typically the texture and coloring (same material) is applied on top of a surface. Today it generally is polyurethane of some sort. The pricing is tempting but if you are keeping the car go for the leather.
wj
Why would you say it's fake leather?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chillyp
Hello,

I'm looking to buy front seat driver cover, trim code SDZ (cashmere). The seat is pretty badly ripped and beyond repair. I spoke to this vendor
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281056655451?ul_noapp=true

22K 100% positive reviews are pretty strong indicator, but in person recommendation are better. Does anyone have any recommendation? I prefer getting only 1 seat cover, would have to pay for 2 with this vendor. This vendor also has faux leather seats that are approximately half the price, I was leaning toward leather, does anyone have prior experience with faux leather seats.

Thanks
-Bhaskar
Super curious... Were they willing to sell you a SINGLE seat cover?

I agree, a true upholsterer can do amazing things. Might be possible to get a guy/or gal to take the cover off, use what you have as a template and re-peoduce the sections you have, remove the damaged sections and see the new stuff in. Then, recondition the whole thing. A good upholsterer can do some amazing things. I have a guy here looking at a Recaro seat in an XKR I am working on and he says he can do what I described above,,, easy. Hmm

Then again, for my XJS I got some seat covers (against somes advice) covered my seats myself and they came out quite nicely considering it was my first ever, job. The material was nice (and real leather) and the seats look great...

I would do a "diamondmall" review web search and see what people are saying. I used LSeat...

Let's face it. Things wear out,,, beyond repair sometimes, and as these seats get older, it's inevitable. Look for folks who are gunna stay positive and give solutions as opposed to doubt...and do your best. Ya know?

Still had a little ways to go. Upholsterers must have some strong hands, good tools, or both, lol..

Old 03-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Why would you say it's fake leather?
that is what faux means...

faux
/fō/

adjective
adjective: faux
  1. made in imitation; artificial.
    "a string of faux pearls"
    • not genuine; fake or false.
      "their faux concern for the well-being of the voters didn't fool many"

Old 03-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

faux
/fō/

adjective
Lol... Really Man? By sending me a (Googled) definition,,, the assumption is what, exactly?

Anyways... What's in the thread below is a discussion from the 928 Porsche group I belong to... And,,, if ya thought Jaguar folks can be STICKLERS,,, these guys are like - there are NO words, lol...

​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l-on-ebay.html

Old 03-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

faux
/fō/

adjective
I'm sorry jym... I misread, or didn't completely read, the OP...
My bad...

Old 03-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Apologies I was away for a day. I did end up buying the leather seats, I will report back here once I receive them, might be a few weeks in these times.

bladerunner919 in this case beyond repair was a patch of missing leather, foam sticking out.

I will decide what I do with the other seat - passenger front - once I receive them. Anyone interested, lmk.