Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended diagnostic software

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 10:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recommended diagnostic software

OK, the time has arrived !

I want to possess a diagnostic system for my 2003 XK8 convertible (A32xxx) 4.2L X100 . I am ill informed as to the capabilities of the various iterations of Jaguar diagnostic software.
Should I look for a WDS based system, an IDS based system or an SDD based system? I've read some of the posts relating to this but find them confusing. Are the latest or best iterations a combination of the IDS and SDD systems? I am hoping y'all can save me some time in formulating to best solution for my car.

I am looking for recommendations from the members who have successfully achieved this level of preparedness. I am hoping for total capability, including key programming, flashing, re-flashing, etc.
I am hoping that my super quick Windows 11 system can play a part but the acquisition of a dedicated laptop (ie. CF31 or CF32) is not out of the question if necessary.
Recommendations should include all necessary components such as interface cables, etc. Obviously, cost is a consideration, my budget for this endeavor is circa $500.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

I have stand alone IDS up and running for my 2000 MY, communication through clone Rotunda VCM.
l had no luck with various other supposedly viable interfaces (mongoose & da vina) or SDD versions incorporating legacy IDS. l have IDS running in virtual machine on Windows 7.
l am not familiar with the different requirements for 2003 MY though.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
I have stand alone IDS up and running for my 2000 MY, communication through clone Rotunda VCM.
l had no luck with various other supposedly viable interfaces (mongoose & da vina) or SDD versions incorporating legacy IDS. l have IDS running in virtual machine on Windows 7.
l am not familiar with the different requirements for 2003 MY though.
Thank you for your response. What version of IDS are you running? Is the clone Rotunda VCM still available?
I am looking at this product as a viable alternative. What is your opinion? Ebay item # 284918918666

================================================== =========
JLR IDS V131 Jaguar/Landrover Diagnostic Software

JLR IDS 131.03 Jaguar/Land Rover Diagnostic Software.

IDS /SDD V131 + Calibration / SPA Files

Fully Activated with Password & Login
This listing is for the both the cable and the software V131.

The JLR IDS V131 Jaguar / Land Rover IDS diagnostic software and calibration files and can only be installed on a computer or laptop running Windows XP Professional – the software will not install on any other operating system.This software is the same as that used by your local dealer and covers Jaguar cars from 1996 to 2012 and Land Rovers from 2005 to 2012.

The Software come with their own menu system making installation very easy and includes full documentation, User Name and Login credentials and is not a ‘cracked’ or ‘patched’ program.

Business seller information

OLIVESTON LTD
123 Crawford Street
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
OL16 5NT
United Kingdom
================================================== ==================
I am also considering Ebay item #
================================================== ==================Jaguar/Land Rover JLR IDS SDD mongoose software version 163

Latest Version – Activated with login & Password

For online Topix account you need to use your own details.

IDS SDD Land Rover/Jaguar is a dealer diagnostic program for Land Rover and Jaguar.

SDD works with Land Rover/Range Rover since 2005 and Jaguars from 1995 till 2017

The Jaguar, Land Rover Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) the only equipment that provides complete diagnostic coverage of current and future Jaguar, Land Rover vehicles.

The IDS package replaces the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS).

The IDS application will perform the identical functions of the WDS and allows dealership technicians to diagnose and service Jaguar, Land Rover vehicles. As the new diagnostic tool, IDS will be required to perform diagnostics on future model year vehicles.

IDS is enhanced WDS software that was modified to run on a standard laptop platform & utilizes the VCM and VMM. Moving IDS to a laptop helps technicians by integrating access to both diagnostics and service information on a single, powerful machine.
  • Software Version: V163
  • Supported Language: English, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Korean, German, Portuguese, Russian, French, Japanese
  • Release Date: 20 July 2022
  • Support Car Model: Land Rover/Range Rover since 2005 and Jaguars from 1995 up to 2017
  • Operating System: Windows /8/7/Vista/(x32/x64)
Compatible interfaces:

1. JLR PRO

2. VCM Rotunda, with both original & clone

3. Mongoose PRO

4. VCM II

5. Da-Dongle J2534 VCI (replaced VCM I)

6. JLR VCI (Jaguar Land Rover approved SAE j2534 Pass-Thru interface)

7. JLR VCI (SP284)

8. JLR DoiP VCI

9. Drivers VCM_I/VAS5054A/Mongoose

10. SVCI

11. DOIP

Main functions of Jaguar Land Rover Diagnostic Software:
  • Read fault codes and analyze fault codes for repair.
  • Monitor vehicle activity data.
  • Record current ECM and TCM data on the vehicle.
  • Read and reset the airbag fault light.
  • Adjust the height of the vehicle and fold the mirrors.
  • Reset the lights and activate the ABS pump.
  • Main programming.
  • Throttle adjustment.
  • Programming of the engine electronic control system.
  • Read data and other special functions
  • Programming of New and Existing Modules and much more
- Fully Working JLR V163

- Supports ONLINE UPDATES, and you can always be up to date with latest releases

- All Calibration Data
- Online Calibration Download and Coding
- Installation on native PC
- No license Timeout
- Configuration for compatible Devices
- Remote Support
- Discount on future updates

- Support Key Programming Function

- Activation Price is for 1x PC

Software works without any problems both online and offline.

Calibration data and software updates are downloaded from the server this update runs about 4 Days depending on your Internet Connection.

Installation via TeamViewer ( Installation Only) We make sure Vehicle is connecting and Interface is Detecting (Interface must be Connecting to computer prior to us installing the software)

NB: This Purchase is for installation only of software with Installation, Programming of Vehicle modules is solely done on your own risk and we take no responsibility on this as vehicle is not in our possession. when programming f modules struggle to complete you must try again its not an exact science on when the programming will be successful.

When the programming keeps failing or throws to back to main screen this means there is a fault on the vehicle itself and this needs to be repaired. if this is your first time using the software and you are unsure of how to use this, please let us know once purchased as we training available at an extra cost.

NB: Please make sure you know what you are purchasing, If you don't understand what software this is don't purchase it, Once software is installed by us and you are not satisfied with software we wont refund as the software and services have already been supplied by us, you as you must make sure you know the software and what it does and how to use and also that you have the correct Interface that is compatible with software and vehicle for this software.

Feel Free the send us a message to make sure on the software features and supported interfaces before purchasing.

We will contact you through eBay, After Payment (Funds to clear by us first) and Confirmation of order

We will assist you to install and activate the software assist to Download and Save Software in safe Place.

NO CD, OR hard drive or any item

================================================== ==============
All opinions in this regard are valued. Thank you

Paul O. (Paul1940)

Old 12-05-2022, 02:24 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

WDS was what we used at the dealer when your car was NEW.

We did use PDU but support for that died quickly when WDS was issued.

In 2006 Jaguar 'upgraded' to IDS that was the same program type software but in a laptop with a separate VCM. (WDS is a computer and VCM in one unit)

If you can work WDS, then you can work IDS.

The first IDS was version DVD42 and we were issued WDS CD42 at the same time.

Then WDS CD43 and IDS DVD43.

Then NO MORE WDS versions. Just DVD101 and so on............

WDS 'went-away' because WINDOWS 98 (sloooooooooooooooow) Pentium I 233mhz.

IDS was Toughbook 1.8 ghz Pentium IV.
WDS is good to 2006
IDS is good to 2009 so that is what you should look for if you want to have what the dealer used when your car was new and in warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
kstevusa (12-05-2022), michaelh (12-05-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
WDS was what we used at the dealer when your car was NEW.

We did use PDU but support for that died quickly when WDS was issued.

In 2006 Jaguar 'upgraded' to IDS that was the same program type software but in a laptop with a separate VCM. (WDS is a computer and VCM in one unit)

If you can work WDS, then you can work IDS.

The first IDS was version DVD42 and we were issued WDS CD42 at the same time.

Then WDS CD43 and IDS DVD43.

Then NO MORE WDS versions. Just DVD101 and so on............

WDS 'went-away' because WINDOWS 98 (sloooooooooooooooow) Pentium I 233mhz.

IDS was Toughbook 1.8 ghz Pentium IV.
WDS is good to 2006
IDS is good to 2009 so that is what you should look for if you want to have what the dealer used when your car was new and in warranty.
An interesting evolution. Like BMW ( my initial exposure to automotive diagnostics), Jaguar coders seem until recently incapable of divorcing themselves from the Windows platform of the day. It is my understanding that the current iterations of SDD are moving to be more independent of the platform.

Bob, you seem to be advocating for IDS. Version 131 above comes complete with cable for about $300 while version 163 of SDD is selling for about $100 and excludes a cable. From your experience, are there difficulties with either of these choices? I am located on the SunCoast of FL ( west coast of FL above Tampa). Are there any members in this area that have systems up and running?

Any thoughts about adding a new forum dedicated to the software problems associated with IDS / SDD?

Your opinions are valued !

Paul O. (Paul1940)

Old 12-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

I NEVER learned or worked with SDD. (it was introduced in 2009?, I quit the dealer in 2006)
All cars I work on up to 2006 or so will use IDS and that is what I used at the dealer day-in and day-out.

I don't think SDD is reliable for the older cars but.......?

The following users liked this post:
Paul1940 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

I have never had any luck getting SDD to revert to legacy IDS, unless later model jags are involved l think a stand alone IDS is all that's necessary and the only way to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
motorcarman (12-07-2022), Paul1940 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

just get a thinkdiag it does like 99% of the daily tasks

my IDS collects dust unless i’m programming a module

Old 12-09-2022, 11:18 AM
Received 202 Likes on 142 Posts

what is "thinkdiag"?

Old 12-09-2022, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by CA Jag
what is "thinkdiag"?
See item # 144845226518 on Ebay.com

Old 12-09-2022, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
just get a thinkdiag it does like 99% of the daily tasks

my IDS collects dust unless i’m programming a module
Is this item # 144845226518 on Ebay what you are suggesting?

I have three DTC readers, isn't flashing or programming the reason to have IDS / SDD in the first place, to have an ability to "fix" the problem if it relates to module contents, ECM data that needs to be altered, etc?