XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Red Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Hi sam, first I would like to say you are one the top 5 posters over the last month. Your average post count is currently at 8.17 per day, which is relatively high. Glad you are enjoying the forums.So, I hear the paint may be having trouble. I'm waiting to hear those three little words we men hate to admit (no, not those three, the other ones). I'll help you out with the the frst two... 'You were ---'
I'm only in the top five??? I'm not number one??? I need to try harder.

Actually, I have lots more questions to ask, but I'm trying to pace myself. I figure some of the old timers may get tired of answering my questions, so I try to limit myself to creating only one new thread per day. I've also learned not to post anything in the "Exterior" forum because apparently no one ever reads that one.

And there was something else I was going to say... what was it? Hmmmm... I can't remember right now. Oh well.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm glad we have some new blood in the forums and not just tech questions or questions that have been answered 100x. Bring it on!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

You all are trying way to hard.
As h20boy said do not use aerosol. Get some wax and grease remover solvent. Apply to a rag and wipe off the exterior of the caliper. Then buy yourself a nice can of good ole Rustoleium, red, foam brush, add a beer or two. Paint!!!!!!!!!!

I have had this set up on my mustang for about 8 plus years and no flakes or chips. Plus there is no overspray to deal with. Just you and the wheel well.
While your in there go ahead and treat the liner with a good coat of wheel magic black and that will really make those red calipers stand out.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I'm glad we have some new blood in the forums and not just tech questions or questions that have been answered 100x. Bring it on!
I'm used to a couple of different forums that aren't as, uh... cultured as this one. I keep trying to tone down my sense of fun in order to fit in. I don't want to get banned. I already got a spanking from one of the mods for posting a picture of my wife.

OK... he didn't actually spank me, and he was very polite, but he deleted the pic and told me it was inappropriate. If you guys only knew what you were missing.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

We need French or Italian mods. I bet they would like the pics of my wife.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Used G2 epoxy coating on brake calipers for $35

Regular spray paint, even caliper paint, is too thin to provide a smooth coating on the rough surface of the caliper. Plus it is susceptible to brake fluid and other solvents.

Powder coating is thicker, but because it cures at 400'F. it requires too much prep work. It is also more expensive than other methods

I used the G2 epoxy coating on both the calipers and the rotor hats.

Attached Thumbnails Red Brake Calipers-brakes-026.jpg   Red Brake Calipers-brakes-033.jpg   Red Brake Calipers-brakes-055.jpg   Red Brake Calipers-brakes-067.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

daddyo, I moved our wheel well undercoating posts to a new thread in Detailing/Car Care as to not muddy sam's thread up

Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
We need French or Italian mods. I bet they would like the pics of my wife.
Why? Whats up with Scottish Admin / American mods etc??
We're all red blooded males Sam, its just not that kind of forum!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looks great

I'm partial to the red as well, and plan on tackling this in a few weeks when I clean my wheel sensors.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after reading this post,it seems if you were really carefull,and did some taping,for spillage purposes,I might tackle this without taking off the callipers..and just use that before mentioned kit..seems i would save time..ant thought's

Old 09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

It is not that much work to pull the calipers. Get some rubber caps to plug the line ends of the brake hoses so they do not drain empty. You will have an opportunity to inspect all the parts, incl. pads, pistons, lines etc.

When you are done, you have can to bleed the system and have fresh fluid. When was the last time you bleed your brakes? I hope it was less than two years ago.... gordo

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default brakes

hi guys,i did that on my xj6,since i replaced rotors i figured why not.i have five spoke wheels and it realy looks good,and its a cheap upgrade.next time i get bored i'll do it to my xk8.steve

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

It's easy! But don't use the spray stuff like I did the first time. Get the brush-on stuff or do the epoxy thing like Gordo did. I redid mine with the brush-on stuff and it looks much better than the spray.

On my next Jag I'm thinking that maybe I'll put the calipers on a sanding belt and sand a flat spot onto them prior to painting. Then I'll get some Jaguar decals, put them on the flat spots, and coat the whole thing with some high-temp clear coat.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Peserving the original beauty of these csrs?

Perhaps Matt or one of the moderators can put this thread together with the current one about the "Red Wheels on the Awesome Red Coupe".

What are we doing to this beautiful design guys? I'm trying to keep mine as close to factory as possible, and others are talking about all the cosmetic alterations they can do and and make - and which are "good" and which aren't.

I'm sure this will start some discussion - but are we about preservation and honor - or hot rods? DaleD2503

Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

I think the red brake calipers are very subtle. I also changed my amber fender lights to clear lights. I'm not so concerned about keeping the car stock, I just want it to look good. The amber lenses detracted from the look (in my opinion) and the red calipers make it look a little sportier.

Look at my sig pic. Can you see the red calipers?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleD
...What are we doing to this beautiful design guys? I'm trying to keep mine as close to factory as possible, and others are talking about all the cosmetic alterations they can do and and make - and which are "good" and which aren't...
I have factory red calipers and aftermarket clear side marker lights (front only). I truly believe the platinum/quartz XKs benefit from the removal of the amber lenses which do not relate to anything else on the car see pic #2. I do not think tasteful mods to enhance the design do not detract from the car at all. Then again, taste is a matter of personal preference, so to each his own.

By the way lowering also helps clean up the design; the factory wheel clearance is an abomination and the one thing that is totally wrong about these cars. I do not know if i believe this but rumor has it Ford dictated the clearance so snow chains could be added to the original 17" Revolver wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Red Brake Calipers-front-quarter-after.jpg   Red Brake Calipers-0442.jpg   Red Brake Calipers-img_1369.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yellow Brake caliper covers

When I put on new 20 inch chrome rims I also put on a set of yellow brake caliper covers. I bought a set on Ebay for about twenty bucks. They glue on with silicone glue and it takes about 6 hours for it to dry so you have to hold them in place with masking tape. You can get them in any color you want on Ebay. I think they look real good with my new wheels. I have had them on about 2 months now with out any problems at all. I have pics posted in my profile. I get alot of attention and comments from people when stopped at red lights now!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of fake bembo caliper covers on ebay. They go over the calipers and are glued on with silicone glue. You can get all most any color you want, I have yellow on my gold XK8 with 20 inch Dub chrome wheels. They are cheap too and look real.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

pics jagpro?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

I found the item on eBay. It's a little to "rice" for me, but to each his own.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Jag...item20b3effb63

Quick Reply: Red Brake Calipers