XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Reduced Performance Warning - Fuse Related?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Reduced Performance Warning - Fuse Related?

Hello all,

This evening I wanted to install an accessory to the accessory power in my Jaguar XKR from 2000. I haven't really done anything like this before (and boy do I regret it now) but the accessory came with instructions that I thought would be easy enough to follow. It said to connect to the accessory power in F3, F4 or F5 locations on the fuse box in the trunk. I located the F3 fuse and pulled it out - before connecting anything to it though I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to mixture with anything important, so while the was fuse still out I started the car and tested that all major electronics were working, which they did. However, all of a sudden the engine light started showing combined with a yellow warning message saying "Reduced Performance". I switched off the car and put the fuse back in its place, but upon starting the car again the engine light and the reduced performance warning is still on.

I'm going to be honest, it's my first car and my first time attempting to do something like this on my own which is obviously really stupid, so feel free to tell me I'm an idiot. That said, I am freaking out quite a bit now so any solutions or possible explanations would be very much appreciated. And if you don't have any ideas for what the issue might be, can you advise if it's safe to drive the car to a repair shop while the reduced performance warning is showing?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
Erik

Old 11-09-2023, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Finding a garage in France that knows anything about 25 year old jags is impossible.
Get a code reader and see what it says then let us know and clear the codes.
the only reduced performance I have had is water in one of the spark plug holes..code reader will tell you witch one .
Never wash the engine just spray WD 40 and wipe

Old 11-09-2023, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikL
Hello all,

This evening I wanted to install an accessory to the accessory power in my Jaguar XKR from 2000. I haven't really done anything like this before (and boy do I regret it now) but the accessory came with instructions that I thought would be easy enough to follow. It said to connect to the accessory power in F3, F4 or F5 locations on the fuse box in the trunk. I located the F3 fuse and pulled it out - before connecting anything to it though I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to mixture with anything important, so while the was fuse still out I started the car and tested that all major electronics were working, which they did. However, all of a sudden the engine light started showing combined with a yellow warning message saying "Reduced Performance". I switched off the car and put the fuse back in its place, but upon starting the car again the engine light and the reduced performance warning is still on.

I'm going to be honest, it's my first car and my first time attempting to do something like this on my own which is obviously really stupid, so feel free to tell me I'm an idiot. That said, I am freaking out quite a bit now so any solutions or possible explanations would be very much appreciated. And if you don't have any ideas for what the issue might be, can you advise if it's safe to drive the car to a repair shop while the reduced performance warning is showing?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
Erik
With all fuses in place try disconnecting battery then reconnect, this should reset if you don't have a code reader capable. You will need to reset window function. One of the fuses removed has some involvement in #2 fuel pump which may be what triggered error.

Old 11-09-2023, 03:55 AM
Received 480 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm surprised that the fault has not cleared itself when you replaced the fuse and started the engine. It will not do any harm to start or run the engine in Restricted Performance Mode provided that you do not run it like that long term. You might find that if you do a few more restarts, then the fault will clear as some conditions monitor how often the fault is detected and if it is not detected after a pre-determined number of starts then it will be cleared .... but Baxtor's advice should also do it.

Richard

Old 11-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First of all, thanks so much for getting back to me quickly you legends.

SO, I tried what you suggested and after having restarted the engine 2-3 times the reduced performance warning did indeed disappear which is a huge relief.

However, the yellow check engine light still shines. I've let the car run for about a minute before switching it off and the light stays on. Is this to be expected because there has been a fault and is likely to disappear with time?

I don't have access to a reader unfortunately but will take the car to a mechanic for a reading if need be. Might be the safest option anyway, it's just frustrating since literally the only thing that I did was to remove a fuse and then puck it back in. I have double checked that it didn't blow and is fully functioning. So I have a hard time thinking this could have actually caused any real problems with the engine, but again I'm quite new to all this so please advise if you think the removal of a fuse could have cause actual damage to the battery or engine.

Thank you kindly,
Erik

Old 11-09-2023, 06:06 AM
Received 480 Likes on 314 Posts

You won't have caused any damage, Erik, so don't worry. Fuses are designed to blow and the car simply thinks that yours has blown.

If the car if no longer in Reduced Performance then I would simply drive it as usual as it will be fine. I'm sure that the engine light will go out before too long. It just needs to go through a few running check cycles.

Richard

Old 11-09-2023, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Pulling fuse #3 will have the same effect as pulling the relay for the second fuel pump, and will cause a P1671 code, hence the check engine light. It should go away of its own accord, as others have stated.

I would avoid tapping into fuse #5 in the boot/trunk fusebox as that powers airbag circuits.

Jaguar has made some provision for accessory sockets in the boot and the glove box. Although this does involve adding an extra relay* in the fusebox, IMO it is a better solution.
Jaguar's documentation for adding accessory power, which may help you, is on member Gus' site here:
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...owerSocket.pdf

*#6 in trunk fusebox

Last edited by michaelh; 11-09-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:46 AM
Received 146 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikL
First of all, thanks so much for getting back to me quickly you legends.

SO, I tried what you suggested and after having restarted the engine 2-3 times the reduced performance warning did indeed disappear which is a huge relief.

However, the yellow check engine light still shines. I've let the car run for about a minute before switching it off and the light stays on. Is this to be expected because there has been a fault and is likely to disappear with time?

I don't have access to a reader unfortunately but will take the car to a mechanic for a reading if need be. Might be the safest option anyway, it's just frustrating since literally the only thing that I did was to remove a fuse and then puck it back in. I have double checked that it didn't blow and is fully functioning. So I have a hard time thinking this could have actually caused any real problems with the engine, but again I'm quite new to all this so please advise if you think the removal of a fuse could have cause actual damage to the battery or engine.

Thank you kindly,
Erik
Get the best scan tool you can afford. A basic OBD II reader is useless for in-depth diagnosis, but is still better than nothing. A 20 year old Jag is probably not the best choice as a first car, but everybody has to start somewhere. There's no sense in dragging the car to a mechanic every time you see a warning light on the dash. AT a minimum get a code reader and scrounge around the Internet for a service manual. Read everything you can find about your car. These cars can be finicky, but they are not particularly complicated.

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (11-09-2023)