XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Refurb update Pt3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Wink Refurb update Pt3

Hi guy's, just a quick update of proceedings so far.
Seats refurbed with dye.
Test drive after over 100 miles following tensioners change, no oil leaks.
Had a cel and gearbox fault show up for Range sensor together with Reduced performance indication, which cleared after a switch off and leave for half an hour. Codes cleared and no further indications so far. Strange the Range sensor should come back on again, could this be a faulty sensor or connection high res or open cct? I bought a replacement autobox from an XJ8 just to be on the safe side, it only has 37k miles on it, if its needed.
Changed the dipped headlights.
Unable to budge the fuel filter nuts, even with car on ramps, just cannot get the leverage. Booked into my local Indy for a small ( hopefully ) bit of welding to the floorpan so will get the fuel filter changed at the same time.
Observations so far: He gets up to operating temp surprisingly quickly and is smooth and I think quiet, heater operating well and so is the A.C.
The auto box " clunks or bumps " every now and again so has to be suspect for the A & B drums failing, but its ONLY occasionally, cannot work that one out! Finally I cannot tell any difference between the suspension in sport mode and normal mode with respect to ride quality, the rev range does does extend so that part is working. The suspension tops look O.K to me but I'm no expert, there is no sign of deterioration, in fact they look quite new.
Any comments appreciated.
Have a great day guy's,
Cheers,
Arty

Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

The suspension doesn't change as a function of the sport switch, it is all done automatically with accelerometers.

If you want to check functionality, then unplug the module in the boot to disable the system, and it will stay permenantly in firm mode.

Good progress so far!

On the transmission, are you sure the fluid is topped up? All manner of wierd things happen when these things get a bit low.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,871 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtyH
........ Booked into my local Indy for a small ( hopefully ) bit of welding to the floorpan so will get the fuel filter changed at the same time. ........
This should be exciting.

Looking forward to the video.

Graham

Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
The suspension doesn't change as a function of the sport switch, it is all done automatically with accelerometers.

If you want to check functionality, then unplug the module in the boot to disable the system, and it will stay permenantly in firm mode.

Good progress so far!

On the transmission, are you sure the fluid is topped up? All manner of wierd things happen when these things get a bit low.

Thanks for the info Charlie. When I bought the car there was a question mark re the auto box and the old P.O informed me it had " slipped " once while he was driving and probably needed a service. When I was driving the car home, half way back it went into fault mode ( 150 miles ) and reduced performance. An Indy checked it out and the fault was a range sensor, the oil and filter were changed and it was put into storage. Have only covered about 150 miles since the service. I bought a replacement box with 37k reported on it, just in case.
I checked for leaks and there appear to be none from the box or pipework as my drive is dry as is the car. To be honest I thought the level also as sometimes there is a slight noise coming from that area. I will see what happens in the next few weeks when I have had the other work done and a few more miles on the clock. What I have at the back of my mind is how much will my Indy charge for the gearbox swap?
Cheers,
Arty

Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 910 Likes on 483 Posts

Just to confirm that I also can not tell when the CATS is active or otherwise on Kim's car.