XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Relay Chater on Cold Start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

No I have been down this road with others. The pump is fairly new, the tensioner (both) are jaguar equipment and as for the alignment, the belt direction feeds from the crank pulley to the tensioner to the idler to the alternator to the water pump. The thermostat is not part of the equation nor is the water pump because it is upstream of the belt direction. Sorry not sure he understands the problem.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yarp!

Understandable, unfortunately replacing my tensioner, idler pulley, and belt didn't help my situation, It still walks to the front for about a minute on cold start every morning. Something's not aligned when it's cold, they'll see this week and let me know. Thanks

I was referring to the actual thermostat housing not the thermostat. I have an updated aluminum one from motorcarsltd, as well as their metal waterpump. Those are not Jaguar parts, they are machined by motorcarsltd, ken can vouche for that.

You said you have original plastic stuff right? (original plastic thermostat housing and jaguar branded plastic impeller waterpump)

If so, That's the only place we differ now.

Last edited by NEWjagz; 02-01-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: plastic?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

No I have the new aluminum housing from motorcars. I forget the sequence but all four the belt, tensioner and idler and alternator were changed at different times because of a bearing squeal. That was taken care of and then I started to hear the snapping of the belt attempting to correct itself. I changed the belt thinking it had a memory from one or two of the replaced units. I was wrong! I then elected to replace all three units at one time the tensioner, idler and the belt and when I did the problem went away. At first I thought it was the alternator.

I did take the time to look at the old tensioner and felt that the wheel was positioned closer to the arm than the new one. The measurement on the old one was .024 and was unable to measure the new one that is now in the car. I continue to check it on cold days and at least once every week and no noise.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Oh ok, then we have the exact same hardware besides your new alternator. I still have the original 11yr old alternator so its possible. I will have them check it out asap tomorrow. You've been a great help. Since I put my older (like 5k mile hardly old :P) idler pulley back on about 4 days ago it hasnt walked far enough to pop the tensioner, but it still walks to the front lip for a minute then eases back to proper position on total first cold start of the day. Thanks Gus! Will report back, great help Sir! besides that the thing is in perfect shape now, bring on the summer time cause im ready to pop on this 20" chrome hah!

Last edited by NEWjagz; 02-02-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: alternator
Old 02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Default Nice! Completely Kicking now

I'm golden now! Tech finished up last night. Everyone including dealer was still stumped so tech did quick search and vola I now I have two nice Dayco lipped pulleys for the spots of the tensioner and idler pulley. Same dimensions as the jaguar parts. There is absolutely no move or walk and it has a nice LIP (worked for my situation), and they are a perfect size fit as the other!

For only $13/per pulley it sure beats a $70 lipless version. Best part is that horrid belt chirp I always heard is now GONE, yay! Yes they are plastic, but that's why they're $13 hah. I'm sure they'll last longer than I have the vehicle.

If anyone is interested i've got 3 jaguar metal IDLER PULLEYS that have less than 3k miles on each one, one barely even touched still has rubber coating on metal! More like 3 weeks old for that one hah. $20 EACH thats cheap! Hit me up if anyones interested! They were not my problem, they are in perfect condition.

DAYCO Part # 89003

http://www.amazon.com/Dayco-89003-Te.../dp/B000C0YR0M

Will take a good picture tomorrow. I'm good to go here. now i've got some eletrical issues to care for hah. Peace!

Attached Thumbnails Relay Chater on Cold Start!-89003.jpg  

Last edited by NEWjagz; 02-07-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Amazon even cheaper! Buy two now replace tensioner idler pulleys! No more noise!