Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remediating a crease in weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Remediating a crease in weatherstripping

So, small but irritating problem, and I'm at a loss at this point on how to fix a crease I have in my interior window weatherstripping. It folds under when the window is raised unless there is manual intervention to pull it out. I have done this quite regularly. It was there when I purchased the car in the early spring. Looks like this

"The crease" Interior weather stripping next to the tweeter on the passenger side.

Since it was not warm when I acquired her, I figured it would work itself out with the increasing heat in NC. At this point, I have tried

1. Letting it work itself out in the broiling heat (Apr-Aug).
2. Applying gentle heat with a hair dryer.
3. Applying moderate heat with a hair dryer.
4. Applying 'Mercury midday at the equator' level heat with my daughter's industrial hair dryer (a bit surprised it didn't melt, but other things around may have been at risk).
5. Applying gentle heat through a wet rag with a small iron (head is about 3 cm wide, perfect for this application if it worked).
6. Getting rid of the rag and applying increasing levels of heat directly to the weather stripping with the small iron.

Apart from amazement at the number of things my daughter owns to heat things up, including the fact that she owns an iron, even if it's a microscopic iron, I have no other approach other than an oxy torch, which would likely be counterproductive.

Anyone solved this problem in the past without replacing that rather expensive piece of polymer/rubber?

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

possibly cut the lowest corner of the weatherstripping on a 45 degree angle so the window glides past the fold when you raise it instead of hooking it and folding it under?

crbass (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BradXK8
possibly cut the lowest corner of the weatherstripping on a 45 degree angle so the window glides past the fold when you raise it instead of hooking it and folding it under?
Interesting idea, appreciate it. I think it would be straightforward, afraid I'd need to cut a fair way up since it's impinging well into into the space for about 2/3 of the distance, perhaps last resort. Was trying to come up with something that flared or pinned the lower corner back, but nothing good came to mind.

That catching is probably what caused it, maybe over a very long time, but unclear what black magic doesn't let me crease it back.

DavidYau (09-17-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Have you tried taping it to the side away from the window(to the left in the picture, applying gentle heat at intervals during thee day and letting it sit for about 24-36 hrs.??

crbass (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Have you tried taping it to the side away from the window(to the left in the picture, applying gentle heat at intervals during thee day and letting it sit for about 24-36 hrs.??
Sam,

No, not for that long. All my attempts, apart from the 'letting it sit in the heat' approach, took less than a half hour each, looking for instant gratification. A couple of times I left it in the heat with a wedge inserted between the window and the weatherstripping for a day or so. Will give this a shot. Appreciate it.