XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

A reminder to all, be careful where you park...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
My next 'experiment' at the grocery store, pick my space out in the middle, pull in close to a nearby parking space, take a shopping cart from that 'corral' (or where someone left it 30 feet away, or tilted atop a median <- that bugs me), then place it in the parking stall closest to me, place a small wheel chock under it (maybe a small piece of wood), and go in. With the laziness of most shoppers today, nobody will EVER take the extra time to get out, remove the cart, then pull into that very space. They won't even touch the darn thing if the parked on the other side of it. I should be safe unless the employees come out to collect the stray carts.
Don't do it Matt ..... People who have mischief on their brain may go at length .... The only grocery that I go to while driving my car is Randall's - since their lot is always empty.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I probably won't, just thinking out loud in my little fantasy world. i do, however, like Ann's idea. But, somehow, we need a little more juice than 12V to make that a successful form of punishment.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A more elegant option is red velvet rope.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I have seen drivers push the carts out of their way with their cars to get in the space!! Then the carts go flying around to who knows where. My luck, they would just push it into my car.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I walked out of the UPS store the other day just as some lady placed her door against my jag to begin unloading her car. I was about to have a conniption until i took a deep breath and told myself it's just a car.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the Velvet Ropes.....................now that is what my Jag deserves!
Brian

Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

I wish I could find some velvet ropes, seriously...I'd try it. Now, do 'i know any movie theatre owners?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Every time I turnaround, my 97 VDP gets a new ding, dent or chip. My office building parking lot is the worst offender; so far three dings/dents including over $2K in repairs to right rear quarter panel. I have SEEN people back into parked cars, then drive off.

I just bought an 07 XK and am DREADING bringing it to work. The building security guards recommended parking directly across from the front doors, since they sit there all day and would catch someone doing a hit and run, but that wouldn't prevent door dings.

I'm screwed. lol

Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to mitigate my dings in the office garage by now paying for a parking spot. When I was in non-reserved parking I got all kinds of dings and scratches no matter where or how I parked to leave room. And since I come in really early and am the first one in the lot, I never saw who parked next to me, just the marks they left behind.

At least now I have the same two cars on either side, every day, and that makes everyone much more careful.

As an aside, due to the economic downturn, our garage's reserved parking is pretty bare and the non-reserved slots are full up. I'm getting my not-the-best spot at a 50% discount, but only until reserved fills back up and they get someone to pay full price, then I'll be relegated back to the dings and scratches section again.

Jag ownership isn't cheap.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

I've seen things like this and even bought something similar once (foam-like pads that hooked onto the doors with straps) but never actually used them. The main reason was that I figured these would invite idiots to try and go out of their way to somehow ding the door and/or they would steal the things.

Doug

Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Yeah Doug, idiots will be idiots, no matter what you do. We all know that.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just park in the middle of a double row. In the center of 4 spaces. It leaves plenty of room and most people get the point to not park near your car. I also have a bat in the rear window with plenty of paint from other cars on it. Thats just for the smart *** who thinks about challenging me for space. I will put a dent in your vehicle always larger than the one you have to mine. I live in RI and its the worst state for respect of anything. people open there doors into you while you are in the car and dont even acknowledge it.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
I wish I could find some velvet ropes, seriously...I'd try it. Now, do 'i know any movie theatre owners?
Failing the elegant velvet ropes, what about some crime scene tapes?

And yes I have to agree with the above comment 'people who open their door and ding you whilst you are sitting in the car and then continue with not a care in the world' does get me a little miffed.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Like many of you I use to park away from other cars or take up two spaces,but I now just look for an empty spot between two newer cars.When you try to park away from other or take up extra spaces it's like putting a target on your doors.
My prefered spot is on the street but you still can get someone just learning to park and used your bumpers as a stopping guide.
Every three years I have taken the car in to have the bumper resprayed.I have learn to not get upset about it and just budget for it.
I kept the trim on the doors because they have saved the door from a couple of dents,I would rather have a few nicks on the trim then a dent on the door.
Now I stay happy and enjoy the car instead of getting stress out about it.

Last edited by eaglexkr; 08-14-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: edit
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I try to park next to smaller (4) door cars. With the shorter length doors, my hope is that they will not reach my baby. When I'm in the office, I apply the same rule, however I park a little closer to the persons passenger side (as most folks drive to work alone) hoping that the person parked on my passenger side, will not ding my door. It's a lot to think about. Thank god for O.C.D.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Very good points Mick, I too take 4-door vs 2-door cars as 'neighbors' in the lot into consideration, I try to imagine the travel of the door...and will it hit me?. I tend to look at how close they are to their line next to me too. So many variables, I need an app for that...a simple YES or NO based on some basic inputs.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by najags9903
I also have a bat in the rear window with plenty of paint from other cars on it.
I so did not need to read that. Now I have a bad idea. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I am surprised as nobody did mention it ...You can also park next to a ride with a vertical door .Of course if you can find a decent Lambo or a would-be Lambo with trinket accessories (some aftermarket vertical door hinges )
Sadly, though this is gonna be a fat chance lol (finding and picking up a park place with a vertical door car )

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

Sorry about the door. Know how you feel. I always try to park with my front end and one side protected by the dividers or curbs in parking lots and walk. The exercise is worth the protection.

Quick Reply: A reminder to all, be careful where you park...