XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Remote key transmitter strange behavior

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Remote key transmitter strange behavior

Greetings, I own a 1997 XK8 coupe. I bought it in 2013 and have, like many of us, done a whole lot of work on it. I have strange and inconsistent behavior of the remote key transmitter and the car. I'm certain than when I used to lock or unlock the car the side marker lights and maybe even the headlamps and tail lights would flash. Now they don't. I know that when I would lock the car with the remote the security system LED by the gear selector would illuminate then periodically flash - now it doesn't. Sometimes the remote unlocks and locks the car on the first button depress, other times it takes several pushes and then sometimes not at all. I could stand there all afternoon pressing buttons and nothing would happen. I have a remote transmitter test set and it always confirms that all the buttons on the transmitter trigger a signal transmission. I have load type battery testers that report the batteries are in very good condition. There is very limited range when the remote works - just a very few feet. sometimes I have to be standing right next to the driver side door (LHD). When it is working (more less than more) it appears that if the doors are unlocked and I depress the unlock button - or - they are already locked and I press the lock button the system completely ignores the redundant command. I mention this because our other cars will respond to a redundant command and you can hear the solenoids activate. It is concerning that the security system does not appear to activate currently and it is really annoying to never have any idea if the remote is going to unlock or lock the car.

I most sincerely appreciate any wisdom, suggestions, troubleshooting or advise any of you are kind enough to offer. Thanks for reading! Regards, Ken

Old 01-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Received 8,317 Likes on 5,020 Posts

The security system 'antenna' is just behind the RH door under the front rear window trim cap.

I would try a 'HARD-RESET' for the control modules and see if the system responds.

There are many TSBs regarding the MEMORY SYSTEM and SECURITY SYSTEM.

bob