XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Removing supercharger from 2003 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing supercharger from 2003 XKR

I have Mitchell On Demand Repair CD and the Jaguar Factoy Service Manual Data CD and neither cover removal of the supercharger. I would appreciate any information on this job. I have a clicking or knocking in the supercharger when idling. I called Eaton and they refered me to PSE which does the rebuilding on the unit. They indicated to me that a number of 2003s had a problem with a spring breaking in the coupling in the gear head. I need to pull the unit and send it to them for repair. The car has 13K miles but is out of warranty due to age.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Default RE: Removing supercharger from 2003 XKR

From JTIS:

Remove the exhaust manifold to exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve tube. Remove the supercharger outlet pipe. Detach and reposition the engine wiring harness. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose. Disconnect the crankcase ventilation tube. Disconnect the EGR valve to heater core inlet coolant hose.Remove and discard the coolant hose retaining clip. Remove the right-hand throttle body elbow retaining bolt. Disconnect the evaporative emission purge valve tube. Disconnect the EGR valve electrical connector. Disconnect the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor electrical connector. Remove the left-hand throttle body elbow retaining bolt. Reposition the charge air cooler hose retaining clips. Remove the throttle body elbow.Remove and discard the throttle body elbow gasket.Remove and discard the retaining bolt seals. Twin fan and motor assembly shown removed for clarity.Disconnect the right-hand cooling fan electrical connector. Twin fan and motor assembly shown removed for clarityUsing the special tool, detach the the supercharger drive belt. Disconnect the radiator to thermostat housing coolant hose. Detach the radiator to thermostat housing cover coolant hose. Disconnect the expansion tank to thermostat housing coolant hose. Disconnect the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector. Reposition the coolant hose retaining clip. Detach the thermostat housing.Remove and discard the thermostat housing seals. Remove the thermostat housing.Detach the heater core to thermostat housing coolant hose.Remove the thermostat housing. Disconnect the charge air cooler to supercharger water pump coolant hose. Detach the engine wiring harness from the engine wiring harness retaining bracket. Detach the engine wiring harness from the left-hand valve cover.Reposition engine wiring harness to enable the supercharger to be removed. Remove the supercharger. Make sure the supercharger to cylinder block spacer plate is correctly aligned before installing the supercharger. Failure to carry out this instruction may result in damage to the vehicle.Install the supercharger.Tighten to 24 Nm. Attach the engine wiring harness to the left hand valve cover. Attach the engine wiring harness to the engine wiring harness retaining bracket. Connect the charge air cooler to supercharger water pump coolant hose. Install new coolant pipe seals.Install the thermostat housing.Attach the heater core to thermostat housing coolant hose.Install the heater core to thermostat housing. Attach the thermostat housing. Reposition the coolant hose retaining clip. Connect the ECT sensor electrical connector. Connect the expansion tank to thermostat housing coolant hose. Connect the radiator to thermostat housing cover coolant hose. Connect the radiator to thermostat housing coolant hose. Twin fan and motor assembly shown removed for clarity.Using the special tool, attach the supercharger belt. Twin fan and motor assembly shown removed for clarity.Connect the right-hand cooling fan electrical connector. Install new throttle body elbow retaining bolt seals.Install a new throttle body elbow gasket.Install the throttle body elbow.Tighten to 24 Nm. Reposition the charge air cooler hose retaining clips. Install the left-hand throttle body elbow retaining bolt. Connect the MAP sensor electrical connector. Connect the EGR valve electrical connector. Connect the evaporative emission purge valve tube. Install the left-hand throttle body elbow retaining bolt. Install a new coolant hose retaining clip.Connect the EGR valve to heater core inlet coolant hose. Connect the crankcase ventilation tube. Connect the brake booster vacuum hose. Attach the engine wiring harness retaining nut.Install the supercharger outlet pipe. Install the exhaust manifold to exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve tube. Install the throttle body.

This is the procedure for 2003 XKR.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

at 13 k never seen that before are sure it's the supercharger ? If it was broken with that little mileage jag can still cover it even thou ur out of warranty

Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting the procedure, I was able to find the procedure in my Jaguar Factory Service Manual after reading your procedure. I guess I just hadn't learned how to navigate the CD and find the information. I think I have got it now.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Regarding the 13K miles, I would have thought that Jaguar would have covered this problem. I talked to Eaton and they sent me to PSE and after hearing my description of the problem, knew exactly what was broken. They have had to repair a number of 2003 Jajuar superchargers for this same problem. I can understand why Jaguar would not want to make a recall on this issue. It would be very expensive. The dealer does not repairthe supercharger but replaces it with a new one when there is a problem. I am sure the cost would be over $2K. I can pull the supercharger and have it repaired for under $200 if my time is free. It would be nice if Jaguar would pay for the repairs and a little for my time.

I just got an email from a member of this fourm saying that I should be covered under the emision part of the warranty. I will have to check on this. I had a problem with a fuel pump on a 1994 years ago and the service manager called to my attention that even though my regular warranty had expired, I was covered under the emision warranty. I have had four Jaguars, 1994 XJ6, 1999 XJR, 2002 XJR, & 2003 XJR and have had execelent service from my dealer. However a dealer is only as good as the service manager and the mechanics and they were tops. Our dealer has lost this service manager who was just super and I no longer have any special treatment.

These internet fourms are just great and this seems to be a really good one.

Thanks to all, Ernie

Old 10-04-2008, 02:05 PM

I went to see the dealer again and asked them to contact Jaguar to see if the supercharger is covered under the California emission waranty. They said it was and put a new supercharger on my car. I would have been happy to have the supercharger repaired but they just put a new one on the car. All is well that ends well.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

That's perhaps the only good thing about having a car in California. This save me quite a bit of money on replacement of the optispark distributor on my 95 Corvette when it died after the normal and extended warranty that I had on the car. The 7 year/70,000 emissions warranty kicked in and it cost me nothing.

There are a bunch of items that are covered under the emissions warranty even after the standard warranty has expired.

Doug