XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

To replace shocks or not 2003 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CA Jag
The totally worn out front suspension of my 00 is at 14.25".
Theory out the window...lol

Old 10-10-2021, 05:19 PM
Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

That's measured from center of wheel to underside of wheel arch.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndeagle
Is it possible you may have tightened the arm bolts with the car not set on the ground? I had the same issue when I rebuilt the rear suspension on my XJR. I took mine to an alignment shop, that has a pit and had them release and torque with wheels on the ground. Brought the height sown to spec. Ive come to understand, pre-mature bushing failure is the result of making this mistake.

Thank you for the references, as well. A decent savings over my searches, especially the Adaptive Struts.

Sorry on the delay! Haven't been by my computer the last few days. I did torque everything when it was on jacks which I learned after the fact is not the proper way of finishing the job. That said, I do not think it has really affected things much as the car has settled in to a pretty good level. I have a feeling that either my old springs were really shot or that the PO had installed 0.5-1" lowering springs. I recall when I took them out that they were at least that amount shorter than the new ones. Also, the rears looked different from what I researched the stock rear springs to be which again leads me to believe that perhaps the car was lowered. Right now, I have maybe 0.5" of difference between the front and rear with the rear sitting slightly lower. I wish that was not the case but I am not going to go in and tackle the job again over it.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev-P-
Personally, I wouldn't bother changing the shock as its not very likely they are failing or will fail, what I would do though while you have everything stripped down is change the lower shock bushes as a precaution.
How many miles have they done?
Does anyone have an idea of the "Shocker" life expectancy?

Thanks
Mark

Old 07-22-2023, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Depends upon what kind of life they have led. Constant pothole abuse can ruin a shock in short order. Long highway runs on roads in good shape will produce a very long shock life in most cases. We replaced the shocks on my wife's 2006 XK8 at the same time we replaced the factory front shock mounts as the vehicle was approaching 100,000 miles. The car had been well cared for so the factory shocks were still in fairly good shape (except for the annoying rattling coming from the right rear shock due to its internal valve snapping off and rattling around inside the shock body as they tend to do)....

Old 07-23-2023, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Depends upon what kind of life they have led. Constant pothole abuse can ruin a shock in short order. Long highway runs on roads in good shape will produce a very long shock life in most cases. We replaced the shocks on my wife's 2006 XK8 at the same time we replaced the factory front shock mounts as the vehicle was approaching 100,000 miles. The car had been well cared for so the factory shocks were still in fairly good shape (except for the annoying rattling coming from the right rear shock due to its internal valve snapping off and rattling around inside the shock body as they tend to do)....
Ah Thank you..

So more or less standard,sherr wear and old age, sounds like a sensible thing to do at 122K miles!
Another job for then list! Argh...

Old 07-23-2023, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Just as purely anecdotal comparison; the shocks on my car were replaced at 65,000 miles under warranty by a previous owner with the correct CAT type. The car now has 186,000+ and they seem to be working perfectly and also have the correct fender height measurements. Which seems to be a miracle considering the usual likespan of the top shock mounts which still appear to be centered and intact.

I try to miss every pothole, but occasionally one sneaks up on me and grit my teeth. Just trying to make them last as long as possible.

I don’t think one can assume the shocks are worn out at any certain mileage. But the top mounts, those are another story.

Z

The following users liked this post:
markmywords (08-12-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by zray
Just as purely anecdotal comparison; the shocks on my car were replaced at 65,000 miles under warranty by a previous owner with the correct CAT type. The car now has 186,000+ and they seem to be working perfectly and also have the correct fender height measurements. Which seems to be a miracle considering the usual likespan of the top shock mounts which still appear to be centered and intact.

I try to miss every pothole, but occasionally one sneaks up on me and grit my teeth. Just trying to make them last as long as possible.

I don’t think one can assume the shocks are worn out at any certain mileage. But the top mounts, those are another story.

Z
Hi and thank you Zray
So the top mounts seem to be the worst culprit for failure and 186,000 on shocks is damn fine to me!

Ok, well I collect the beast early August, once MOT is gained, I can then sent photos etc. to one and all!

Thanks

Mark

Old 08-12-2023, 07:42 AM

OK all,
Now I finally have my XK8, and albeit with a few problems, I love it... I did a round trip from Malvern to Eastbourne and back via London last week..Over a couple of days I hasten to add.. 27.7 MPG
So Problems so far..
1 Jittery on the motorway like unbalanced wheels(they are fine), so diagnosed knackered shocks all round..
Also I read that the front shocker top mount bearings regularly fail? is this so and should they be changed at the same time?
2 The climate system..... does not!..
Tried full reset, no difference..The code reader when done on it test shows 14.. which reads..
14 Water temperature input malfunction Instrument cluster output Refer to PDU..
Does anyone know what that means in English?

3. G'Box is some times slow to first take off.. then perfect(forward and reverse).so I am gentle with it. A fluid and filter change called for me thinks?

Good news is that the Chains were done at 100K by Jaguar dealer

Thoughts please from the illustrious company on here please

Thank you in advance..

Also it did come with a XKB reg number, small bonus!!

Thanks in advamce

Mark

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (08-12-2023)