XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Replacement tires for my '06 XK8??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tires for my '06 XK8??

I replaced the OEM tires (Conti's??) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (ZX18).

Loved the handling - hate the noise and wear (although Michelin advertises them as 50K , they wear out in about 25K and Michelin won't honor the mileage warranty!) I had bought them at Costco, and they (not Michelin!) did give me a credit for about 1/2 the life - nice guys!! But Costco on recommends these same Michelin's and since they never did do a good job on (high speed) balancing and I can't rotate the set, I am not going back to them - unfortunately.

So, it's about time for a replacement set and I won't go back to Michelin's. I also don't really need the very high speed rating nor the all-weather capability. I'm thinking about going back to Conti's??

Suggestions that balance good handling, reasonable mileage and pleasnt to drive?

Any suggestions ?please!!

Thanks,

JP in NJ

Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Dear JP in NJ,
I have Nexen X3000 (I think that's the model) tires on my XKR and they have worn well and are reasonably quiet. They also ran about $150 per tire, tax included, far less expensive than the Michelins. I briefly had a set of Chinese tires (Hercules) and had two sidewalls tear open within 1 week. I took the tires off the day after the second one blew and essentially threw away 3 new tires, it spooked me so much. The first one happened 2 minutes after I parked the car after a 400 mile trip at speeds up to 90 mph. There has been no drama (outside of two large screw punctures in the past month, easily repaired) with the Nexens.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Have put about 1500 miles on a new set of Yokohama YK580's. Quiet, nice ride and handle well wet or dry.

They were on sale with a combined $30 plus $60 rebate. Available at Discount Tire. I think Dunlops have an $80 rebate offer too. Wanted Pirelli P-Zeros but they couldn't find the rear tire size anywhere in their network.

With certain sizes and speed ratings, the manufacturers cut the tire warranty back. My wife's Honda has the same tires (different size and speed rating) with a 60k mile warranty. Mine came with a 45K warranty.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by chalmin
I replaced the OEM tires (Conti's??) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (ZX18).

Loved the handling - hate the noise and wear (although Michelin advertises them as 50K , they wear out in about 25K and Michelin won't honor the mileage warranty!) I had bought them at Costco, and they (not Michelin!) did give me a credit for about 1/2 the life - nice guys!! But Costco on recommends these same Michelin's and since they never did do a good job on (high speed) balancing and I can't rotate the set, I am not going back to them - unfortunately.

So, it's about time for a replacement set and I won't go back to Michelin's. I also don't really need the very high speed rating nor the all-weather capability. I'm thinking about going back to Conti's??

Suggestions that balance good handling, reasonable mileage and pleasnt to drive?

Any suggestions ?please!!

Thanks,

JP in NJ
From two weeks on them, used, and at about 1/3 down by treadwear, I'd say it might be wise to AVOID Goodyear Eagle GT's.

Otherwise ... been a Bibendum devotee the better part of fifty years now, but after many days of chasing tests and reviews, with rain/wet braking and steering performance primo, 'Grand Touring' all-weather compromises otherwise as my personal priority set, I'm planning a set of Continental PureContact, Ecco-Plus.

Reviews here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...t.jsp?ttid=171

Note that on the 'spider' charts the Michelin MX4 trumps it just about all-round. But most tires that will even fit an XK8's wheels atall are 'good enough' in the dry - one just adapts driving style to them.

In the wet, surprises are more commonly handed-out by the OTHER fools a-wheel, so I want every bit of advantage I can find.

Have a look at the 'Performance Drive Ratings - Wet Test Track'. Then go and try to find even a max-performance tire that beats this 'touring' tire in the wet. Not easily done at any price, let alone as one of the least-costly choices going.

JM2CW

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

After asking the Dali Lama, I replaced my Michelin Pilot Sport AS w/ Continental DWS.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Yokohama YK580 tires on both of my wife's XK8 axles. I researched tires for the XK8 series from late November 2011 until late March 2012 before concluding that these Yokohamas provided me with the best bang-for-the-buck for all the criteria I was looking for: long treadlife, great wet traction, relatively quiet, readily available if my wife destroys one by running over construction debris (as seems to be her tendency), a top-notch treadlife warranty, and moderately priced....

She's been very happy with these tires since the rear pair was installed in April 2012 and the front pair was installed in October 2012. Check 'em out. Only available at Discount Tire / America's Tire....

Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Jon89 you mentioned that you replaced the rears several months before you replaced the fronts. Did you have any issues with that? Reason I am asking is I am unfortunately selling my 2005 xkr and one of the rear tires has a small non structural cut on the side. This is obvious not the best way to show a tire on a car so I was wondering about just replacing the rears at the moment. I figure there is about 6k miles left on tires. Thanks!!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ji9988
Hi, Jon89 you mentioned that you replaced the rears several months before you replaced the fronts. Did you have any issues with that? Reason I am asking is I am unfortunately selling my 2005 xkr and one of the rear tires has a small non structural cut on the side. This is obvious not the best way to show a tire on a car so I was wondering about just replacing the rears at the moment. I figure there is about 6k miles left on tires. Thanks!!
For every potential buyer who might appreciate having to source but two new tires to match, not all four, there are several others who plan on some other choice of tires to their own criteria, so I'm not sure you'd gain all that much.

With such low tread-life remaining, a sale might be better-served by putting on FOUR new, cheap(er), but well-rated when new tires.

Several, such as the Kumho Ecsta get good reviews at half the price of the 'usual suspects', and Sumitomo has a W-rated that is cheaper yet.

A buyer might not 'love' those - but new, undamaged, and full-tread-depth takes all the 'urgency' out of budgeting for replacements, hence one less barrier to a sale.

JM2CW

Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Absolutely no handling issues arose from replacing the two rear tires on my wife's XK8 six months prior to replacing the two front tires. I have always found that as long as you replace both tires on the same axle, you're good to go. I prefer replacing all four tires at once, but in this case her front tires still had some tread remaining and I wanted to wring every last millimeter out of them before I scrapped them....

Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Continental DWS are going on mine at year-end. I just put a set on my Audi and love them- awesome value and quality so far. I've read nothing but good things. I'd also cross-shop the Yokohamas mentioned- I ran those before and was very happy too.

I have terrible Falken and Hankook tires on mine currently from the PO and am trying to wear them out ASAP.

Also. NO CHINESE TIRES! Rubber is not something to skimp on. Ever.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

This is a good thread and IMO most of brands recommended by Members have proven to be more than adequate for the type of driving our cars are likely to encounter.

I think finding a good shop to mount and balance the tires is more important than which specific tire is chosen amongst any of aforementioned models. IMO it is critical to get an almost perfect balance. Especially with the larger diameter wheels.

I always get a Hunter Roadforce balance by a QUALIFIED technician. Not saying there aren't plenty of good balancers out there who do it the old fashioned way... But in my opinion, Roadforce is the best technology to get the wheel / tire combination correct the first time. I have been using a local Discount Tire shop and been very satisfied.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I've been using Summitomo HTR III's on the XKR for quite awhile. They have incredible performance in the summer with good wear a moderate noise. Not a good snow and ice tire but everything else is top notch. I pulled off a new set of Michelin Pilot All Season as they were chunking tread and unbalanceable. Really dangerous! Just threw them in the trash.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

You had All-Season tires and it looks like you live in NJ. Many are suggesting summer tires and you may want to be careful about that if you plan to drive in cold weather as they might be too hard to get good dry traction, let alone deal with any kind of winter precipitation. (I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's- but I see you're concern about not wanting Michelin's after the Pilort Sport A/S Plus fiasco).

Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Last summer I put a set of Falken Avenis on the rear and I've driven about 23,000 miles since then. They are wearing like steel and are so much quieter than the warn winter paws they replaced. I'm going to put them on the front soon - the old tires are starting to qet a bit noisy. (At least I HOPE it's the tires - and not a wheel bearing!)