XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Replacing all convertible top hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 09:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing all convertible top hydraulics

I've been searching in the forum way too long to find my answer so thought I would ask. 2000 XKR, top has not been working because of the infamous "green shower". I've finally found some time to get working on replacing hoses and planning to replace them all, but need to figure out which fitting mine has for the rear cylinders. I've removed the rear seat and drivers side back panel but before I take the speaker and support out I wanted to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. I was looking for videos or anything that would help guide me but my searches come up with nothing. I've found info on the front lines but nothing on the rear. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going from memory, it's been almost 2 years since I did mine. I believe there are 2 different fittings on the lower side of the ram depending on model year. One is threaded, and the other is a push in with a retainer clip. I ordered mine from top hydraulics and their website showed the difference and what to look for.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,362 Likes on 753 Posts

Did you go to Jaguar Repair by Gus, he has the bible on that repair.
Others have added bits that explain what they did and the rears are behind a lot of stuff. Have lots of trays or container for all the clips and screws. Do not loose that clip on the bottom of the ram on the right side, hard to get one.

The following 3 users liked this post by cjd777:
DavidYau (08-12-2021), dfbender (08-11-2021), IowaXKR (08-12-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:59 PM
Received 161 Likes on 91 Posts

I did my 2000 XKR last year, and like dcarlo says, it has two different types of connectors. Push in with clip on the right side and threaded at the left.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:06 PM

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...75123/page-365

this is one of the better guides for replacing the lines after the green shower, from the how to section

Old 08-12-2021, 07:22 PM

Thank you, Gus had exactly what I was looking for. I needed to find out how to get to the rear cylinder so I could check which hook up it had so I can order the correct hoses.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaXKR
I've been searching in the forum way too long to find my answer so thought I would ask. 2000 XKR, top has not been working because of the infamous "green shower". I've finally found some time to get working on replacing hoses and planning to replace them all, but need to figure out which fitting mine has for the rear cylinders. I've removed the rear seat and drivers side back panel but before I take the speaker and support out I wanted to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. I was looking for videos or anything that would help guide me but my searches come up with nothing. I've found info on the front lines but nothing on the rear. Any help would be appreciated.
I have just gone through the same deal....I also went with top Hydraulics for all lines, updating the seals in both actuators and latch....I decided not to update the pump since it is still working well.....its a bit expensive but worth it in the long run. I did not take any photos of my work, but if you can take your time its just a matter of being careful..
You are headed in the right direction, take out the support and speaker and your actuators are right behind them.....I detatached all my lines after blowing the lines out with light air pressure from the latch fitting at the windshield so as not to spill too much fluid in the car.....left them in place till I received the new lines and components
Top hydraulics sends you a small threaded coupler that you can use to pull the new lines thru the tight areas without having to dismantle the dash or pass thru foam.....I took the drivers side lower side panel off for easier access to the lines under the carpet....I also took out the center console unit and pulled back the carpet to get at the lines....they have wire tyes and or tape around the line in several places....The lines from top hyd's are smaller than the original and are much easier to work with....be careful near the circuit breaker panel under the A pillar, the line gets a little sticky in there cause of the white clips holding the original lines.....you will need to pop them out of the clips to thread them thru. As far as at the pump area is concerned, I actually cut a piece of plywood to fit in the boot (trunk) to allow a surface to attach the pump to with screws to hold it in place in order to attach and secure the lines. after filling the resv and checking all the lines were tight, I hooked up the battery and ran the system to check for leaks.....all worked well and the roof is back to normal.
Sorry for no videos. good luck with yours....BTW, I also have a 2000 XKR

Dave

The following users liked this post:
IowaXKR (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 10:05 PM

I guess it's a good thing I didn't just order new hoses before I looked at the other side. What in the world were they thinking putting one of each in my car?

The following users liked this post:
Red (08-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 11:27 PM

That is correct. I don't know why they did that, (mistake proofing), the right cylinder should have a wire at the top and bottom, those will be the micro switches that tells the BPM that the are in position for the next step. I believe the earlier models had threaded fittings on both sides. Just verify the correct fittings when you order the replacement hoses.