Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Chrome Rims on BBS Perseus wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow Replacing Chrome Rims on BBS Perseus wheels

Hi,

I have a new set of chrome rims to fit to my BBS Perseus wheels. I'm comfortable with the procedure and torque settings etc.

But I need to find where I can buy the valve removal tool and also replacement sealing washers for the hollow bolts where the valves sit as it's recommended that these are replaced.

Anyone out there know where I can get these ?

rgds Esh

Everything I need sourced, and I will be posting a Video and picture tutorial week of the 27th Oct when I've fitted them

Last edited by Eshezo; 10-07-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Hopefully you will have luck finding these parts (maybe call BBS?). But I would be interested in how the replacement goes. I know there is a 2-page how-to posted in the diy thread but that was by a tire and wheel shop. I would be curious if a lay person who is reasonably mechanically inclined can do the chrome ring replacement easily with just basic tools. If so post pictures if you get the chance.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Hopefully you will have luck finding these parts (maybe call BBS?). But I would be interested in how the replacement goes. I know there is a 2-page how-to posted in the diy thread but that was by a tire and wheel shop. I would be curious if a lay person who is reasonably mechanically inclined can do the chrome ring replacement easily with just basic tools. If so post pictures if you get the chance.

Thanks,

Doug
Sure I'll take photos as I do it, obviously it's important that you have the correct tools for the bolts, I've read through the 2-page-how to and to me it looks straight forward, I think the potential problem area may be if the rims are stuck and need tapping out but I'm sure with a rubber mallet they will be fine....we will see.

First I still need to source the sealing washers and valve remover.

rgds Esh

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Default SBWheels Birmingham

Just sent a note to SBWheels in Birmingham looks like they may be able to help, they show on their web that they supply replacement bolts and valves, they also supply rims so I'm guessing they may supply the sealing washers for the hollow bolts.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Eshezo
Just sent a note to SBWheels in Birmingham looks like they may be able to help, they show on their web that they supply replacement bolts and valves, they also supply rims so I'm guessing they may supply the sealing washers for the hollow bolts.
Steve (SBS Wheels) is very helpful.

The risks when doing this replacement are (I'm told - because I've never done it):

1. shearing a perimeter bolt
2. stripping a thread
3. slow subsequent tyre deflation due to poor rim sealing

Provided you have adequate workshop facilities to deal with (1) and (2), dismantling and rebuilding appears straightforward.

Graham

Old 10-03-2013, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

The risks when doing this replacement are (I'm told - because I've never done it):

2. stripping a thread

Provided you have adequate workshop facilities to deal with (1) and (2), dismantling and rebuilding appears straightforward.

Graham

Graham, You couldn't be more on the nail, Steve is posting me the sealing washers today and the response from SBS Wheels was very quick and efficient, given that this is worth nothing to them in pound terms but much in reputation. I would highly recommend them.

I agree with the risks that you've outlined , although I have the facilities and tools so I going to go ahead with it, I sincerely hope I don't get a sheared bolt or stripped thread.

Pictures to follow but it may be a couple of weeks before I get the time to do them.

rgds Esh

Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Certainly post your progress.. I'm sure you'll have success with it.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes please do, I just knackered my NSF trim avoiding a drunken pedestrian so while I have beaten it back into safe shape the trim is FUBAR and will need replacing. I am pondering on whether to try or just take it to SBWheels (who BTW have been very helpful and responsive in the past for my old XJR-100).

Jim

Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by jima
Yes please do, I just knackered my NSF trim avoiding a drunken pedestrian so while I have beaten it back into safe shape the trim is FUBAR and will need replacing. I am pondering on whether to try or just take it to SBWheels (who BTW have been very helpful and responsive in the past for my old XJR-100).

Jim

Will do but a couple of weeks I need to wait for the seals and valve tool to arrive.

rgds |Esh

Old 10-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

2. stripping a thread

Graham

This is kind of a curious thing that I was wondering about. When I scuffed the chrome ring on one of my Montreals I called a local wheel repair guy who has a shop that I have used before. I asked if he could replace the ring and he said he recommends NOT doing so and just polishing up the rim below. When I asked why he said there are problems with leaks after doing the ring replacement and for the life of me I can't figure out why this would be the case. The rim is still the rim so what changes once you remove and reinstall the center piece?

Doug

Old 10-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
This is kind of a curious thing that I was wondering about. When I scuffed the chrome ring on one of my Montreals I called a local wheel repair guy who has a shop that I have used before. I asked if he could replace the ring and he said he recommends NOT doing so and just polishing up the rim below. When I asked why he said there are problems with leaks after doing the ring replacement and for the life of me I can't figure out why this would be the case. The rim is still the rim so what changes once you remove and reinstall the center piece?

Doug
I agree there is no reason for there to be leaks but it depends of the rims are fitted correctly, after the old ones are removed and the surface cleaned properly the new rims should have a bead of silicon put round them before re-fitting, I guess if someone fitted them without then they could leak.

rgds Esh

Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Default Update

OK, I have the sealing rings, the valve tool and already have everything else and the rims arrived today so all ready to go.

I wanted to plan a day so I could have the wheels off and completely clean them , also it's a good opportunity to clean the wheel arches etc... so with family commitment's and keeping the status quo I've put aside Sunday the 27th to do it all.

I'm planning to make a video of it and then take stills from the video afterwards so I'll post a full walkthrough, hopefully a nice smooth a successful one with no un planned events.

I hope it will be useful to members because I certainly couldn't find a good tutorial video or pictures.

rgds Esh

The following users liked this post:
x-biker (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Eshezo
............ I'm planning to make a video of it and then take stills from the video afterwards so I'll post a full walkthrough, hopefully a nice smooth a successful one with no un planned events.

I hope it will be useful to members because I certainly couldn't find a good tutorial video or pictures...........
It certainly will be useful. The only videos I've seen so far are pro shops and they never make any mention difficulties or problems.

Good luck.

Graham