XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Replacing Leaper fender emblem with the side marker lights on US XK8s

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Replacing Leaper fender emblem with the side marker lights on US XK8s

Has anyone done this? Just recently me right side fender leaper emblem came off at the car wash. I have been pricing them but it seems that a cheaper solution for us US model XK8 owners is just replacing the emblem with the light side markers. Has anyone done this and if so, does the light function for the turn signal?

Here's the link as it is the same cost for replacing both sides with side markers as opposed to buying just one emblem for one side.

Jaguar s Type R XK8 XK 8 XKR Convertible Sport X100 Clear Side Markers Lights | eBay

Old 04-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 561 Posts

Search the threads. Many have done this.

I believe the wiring (at least on one side) is there in the US cars, just not connected to anything.

Just in case you need it, here is a video on getting it off.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I can verify the wiring is only on the drivers side since I had my wheel arch liners removed recently and looked around. I believe I'd read a thread somewhere on this in the past, they discussed how to wire the pass side.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Sad...altering kitty from original....sad sad sad. 40 years from now when these cars are extremely difficult to find, someone will spend hundreds of dollars trying to find the emblems.

All cars, to me, should remain original, short of maintenance like the tensioners and what not.

Sad indeed

Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller
Sad...altering kitty from original....sad sad sad. 40 years from now when these cars are extremely difficult to find, someone will spend hundreds of dollars trying to find the emblems.

All cars, to me, should remain original, short of maintenance like the tensioners and what not.

Sad indeed

Blah blah blah. A car is no different than any other possession. Many owners want to make them their own, put there own style into it. Who would buy a house and live in it exactly like the builder and previous owner left it.
There are simply too many of these cars to ever really be rare collectables and I especially doubt switching a badge for a working light that is factory on other XK8's hurts the integrity of the car.
If someone is buying an XK8 for future collectors investment, they are making a mistake. These cars are meant to be driven, enjoyed, and yes even modified if the new owner sees fit.

As for the side marker wiring, I have the marker lights but had them customized with Union Jack graphics. I've had no luck with the driver's side harness it's not hot so I'll be routing wires from the headlight turn signals to the markers so they are repeaters for turning. Before that I had the winged jaguar badges. Replacing Leaper fender emblem with the side marker lights on US XK8s-image.jpg

Old 04-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lunaticpro
Has anyone done this? Just recently me right side fender leaper emblem came off at the car wash. I have been pricing them but it seems that a cheaper solution for us US model XK8 owners is just replacing the emblem with the light side markers. Has anyone done this and if so, does the light function for the turn signal?

Here's the link as it is the same cost for replacing both sides with side markers as opposed to buying just one emblem for one side.

Jaguar s Type R XK8 XK 8 XKR Convertible Sport X100 Clear Side Markers Lights | eBay
One thing. You'll need to find the bulb harness if the lenses don't come with them. That's the biggest issue I've found. I'm having to try to rig some sort of bulb housing that will fit. Not had much luck so far.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Ok just remembered I have these im putting on ebay. They're vintage style winged Jaguar badges, but updated. I had them on my XK8 and they cover the holes. Replacing Leaper fender emblem with the side marker lights on US XK8s-image.jpg
I paid 39.00 each but was selling for 25.00 each. Have 3. Everyone loved them and wanted some but couldn't find any more. Much easier than wiring that passenger side and really looks great.
And yes, Jaguar had a winged badge for years. Even before aston Martin.
You can see them on my previous photo of my car.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Default hmmm

Well said Phil! Its the modified XKs that stand out; especially when its done in good taste. Your XK8 is a staple to that! Anyway those vintage fender emblems look killer! Too bad I ordered the side markers already. I will probably do the same as you for the wiring. Thanks to you guys the replied referring to the wiring. I just saw the chrome trim that goes around these side markers. Ordering them today!

Last edited by lunaticpro; 04-12-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Phil,

I'd sent you two PM's regarding purchasing those emblems, but never heard back. PM me with your PayPal (or street) address and I'll get the money to you.

Thanks,

Max

Old 04-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Default too late

Max! You beat me to it! I just canceled my eBay order and was gonna ask Phil about thoses emblems. They do indeed look nice!

Well now that I cancelled them I am looking for other options. Here's one I am gonna try.

Measurements will easily cover leaper emblem area.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Lunatic Pro,

I only need one, so if he has three and you want to buy the other two, go for it.

Max

Old 04-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=philhef;1204502]Blah blah blah. A car is no different than any other possession. Many owners want to make them their own, put there own style into it. Who would buy a house and live in it exactly like the builder and previous owner left it.
There are simply too many of these cars to ever really be rare collectables and I especially doubt switching a badge for a working light that is factory on other XK8's hurts the integrity of the car.
If someone is buying an XK8 for future collectors investment, they are making a mistake. These cars are meant to be driven, enjoyed, and yes even modified if the new owner sees fit.

Yeah Philhef, you're right, way too many of these cars, and besides, who wants would buy a house and....wait...what? How does living in a house compare with a car?

Weren't there too many 57 Chevys? Weren't there too many 58 T-Birds? Besides, weren't the 58 T-Birds just too ugly for anyone to ever want to collect them? Oh god, what about that Edsel? WHEW! Dodged a bullet there!! Wait, how many of my 99 XK8s were built? Just over 7,000? Man, it's a good thing they only made 1,555,316 of those 57 Chevy, eh? (answers.com)

Phileh, by all means, be my guest, modify your XK8 as much as you can and drive it just as hard as you can...there's plenty more XK8s around....

Old 04-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Default the other 2?

Originally Posted by philhef
Ok just remembered I have these im putting on ebay. They're vintage style winged Jaguar badges, but updated. I had them on my XK8 and they cover the holes. Attachment 109870
I paid 39.00 each but was selling for 25.00 each. Have 3. Everyone loved them and wanted some but couldn't find any more. Much easier than wiring that passenger side and really looks great.
And yes, Jaguar had a winged badge for years. Even before aston Martin.
You can see them on my previous photo of my car.
Phil,

I'm game for the other two. PM me the info (PayPal) - & I'll wire the green. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller

Sad indeed

I am sort of the same mindset when it comes to cars that you might imagine to be at least iconic, if not classic. Granted these cars will not be highly sought-after high-dollar collectibles in my lifetime but, still, i would think that if and when it comes time to sell, the prospective buyer of a car like the XK8 would be looking for one as original as possible. At the very least if you do mods then keep the stock parts handy when it is time to sell.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
marvin.d.miller (04-13-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts

We'll at the risk of high jacking this thread

I've never purchased any thing for the sake of resale value. I bought whatever it was for my enjoyment and my enjoyment alone. I use and enjoy what cars/items I can afford to own. When I'm tired of them they get passed on to someone else and I could care less what I get for them. It's called living within your means and enjoying life!

As far as cars go mods are definately personal choice and my cup of tea may not be to someone else liking. I could care less about resale value.

The following users liked this post:
marvin.d.miller (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on not worrying about resale value. The only person in my household who will be concerned about that will be my widow!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

+2 on the resale issue.
In fact, all my cars in the past have been heavily modified. And when I've sold them, they go in days! And I usually make a good deal more than my paid for price. (Although I don't recoup my investment but I do them for me, not resale).
I actually have a list of people wanting my XK8 if I decide to sell.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

[QUOTE=philhef;1206181]+2 on the resale issue.
In fact, all my cars in the past have been heavily modified. And when I've sold them, they go in days! And I usually make a good deal more than my paid for price. (Although I don't recoup my investment but I do them for me, not resale).
I actually have a list of people wanting my XK8 if I decide to sell.[/QUOTE]

If you really intend on parting with the car some day, I would take advantage of that "list" while it is hot. When I owned my 1995 Corvette it was a daily driver but always maintained in pristine condition. Over the years I would frequently have folks stopping and asking me if I wanted to sell. At the top of the list was my independent mechanic who not only wanted the car but knew others who wanted as well. Of course when it actually came time to sell the car I priced it a bit on the higher side, but not that much so based on the mileage, condition, minor engine mods, etc. Wouldn't you know it--the list evaporated. Sure folks were available to buy the car but only at a real giveaway price. Some of the offers I got were outright insulting. Since I was not desperate to give the car away, I held it until someone who really appreciated the car came along with a decent offer. That "list of anxious folks" wasn't worth the vapor it was written on.

Doug

Old 04-28-2015, 02:48 PM

I'm having mixed feelings on this but I'm leaning more towards the clear lens light markers now instead of these fake vents with the jaguar logo. I guess I'm just use to seeing the oval shape next to the trim. No biggie, they were just 14 bux.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lunaticpro

I'm having mixed feelings on this but I'm leaning more towards the clear lens light markers now instead of these fake vents with the jaguar logo. I guess I'm just use to seeing the oval shape next to the trim. No biggie, they were just 14 bux.
Actually, they're the best vents I've seen for our car. It looks just a bit tilted down from the front but it's really not that bad.
I'd remove the side strip too. A lot he and it updates the car. It's just held on with double stick. It's some work, but well worth it.