XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The Results of the XK8 & XKR Hydraulic Hose & Equipment Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It is not necessary to open the petcock to release the pressure but you can if you want. In fact you do not need to remove the pump. I use my wife’s basting syringe with a plastic tube and at the present time she is still looking for it.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Turkey basters are only a $1 at the Dollar store. Give her one for Christmas and she will know you were thinking of her.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No, she will know that I did something and she will continue until I confess.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
It is not necessary to open the petcock to release the pressure but you can if you want. In fact you do not need to remove the pump. I use my wife’s basting syringe with a plastic tube and at the present time she is still looking for it.

Having the "tall tier" setup it would be difficult for me to get to the filler fitting on top of the reservoir without essentially moving the motor/pump off of the rack.

Doug

Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have done both in the car on the rack that is why I recommend the flex tube like fish tank hose.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I have done both in the car on the rack that is why I recommend the flex tube like fish tank hose.

But it does not seem that there is enough space for me to get my fingers or some tool in to remove the fill plug. I can barely even see the fill plug.

Doug

Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

My hands are larger the average person, if I can do it anyone can. I did not say it was easy just easier than trying to remove the entire unit.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

I'll give it a try. Do you happen to know the size of the wrench/socket needed to remove the filler fitting?

Doug

Old 12-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

1 small adjustable wrench! As critical as I am about using the right tool for the right job this adjustable works just fine. . It is in the same category as my hammer. I used a wire tie to hold the hose to the syringe.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Default Correct fluid

Another quick question. I called the local dealer to see about the fluid and they sell for $70.80 for a quart!! I did confirm that the local NAPA sells Pentosin CHF11S for about $20. I just wanted to make absolutely certain that the Pentosin is the same fluid as what Jaguar uses--yes?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Yes it is! Jag wants your money, go to NAPA and get it. You can read additional information on it on my page if you wish.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Default Mission accomplished

Well I got the Pentosin from NAPA ($22.99) and did the fill. I used the "turkey baster with tubing" method and am not all that sure it saved time over removing the pump for better access. I did find that one of my 1/2" open ended wrenches worked (although another 1/2" wrench was too small). Once partially loosened with the wrench I found it easier to take a 9/16" socket and turn this with my fingers. With the tall-tier setup like mine if you have big hands forget about it.

The other problem I had was with the baster-tube setup. I was able to snake the tube in to the filler hose and then poured the Pentosin into the open end of the baster (I lost the rubber top). But the fluid would not flow into the reservoir because the tube fit too tightly into the filler hole (not allowing air to come out). So I had to blow into the baster to force the fluid in (sorry if this is starting to sound like some erotic novel). It finally worked and I will keep an eye on the level.

Doug

Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

So I had to blow into the baster to force the fluid in (sorry if this is starting to sound like some erotic novel).
But, Jaguars ARE sexy cars!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Oh could I have a field day with this one. Glad you were successful in completing the job!

Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

A while back I ordered this kit from LSI and last week I picked up some Pentosin CHF 11S from the local Mercedes Benz dealership. Today I finally got the time to do this. I overestimated how long and difficult it would be. It was incredibly easy to install and the instructions are wonderful. I think someone who had never done any mechanical work could easy do this. I heartily recommend this modification to anyone with a convertible. I don't know why something like this didn't come from the factory. Walt, Gus, everyone, thanks a million for all your research and work on this. I'll sleep better at night now Hopefully tomorrow is nice so I can drop the top.

Just so people are aware:
Originally Posted by mbalce
The only glitch I ran into was the hole where I removed the T30 plug on the inboard side of the pump right by the latch hose, which is on a 90 degree coupler was just blocking the ability to get the new hose threaded on…I ended [up] backing the latch hose off the coupler about half way. Did not even need to remove it, just loosened it about half a dozen turns or so. This gave me just enough clearance to get the new hose started in the hole and once that was all the way in I was able to re-tighten the latch hose.
I did this same thing.

Last edited by K.Westra; 03-24-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
A while back I ordered this kit from LSI and last week I picked up some Pentosin CHF 11S from the local Mercedes Benz dealership. Today I finally got the time to do this. I overestimated how long and difficult it would be. It was incredibly easy to install and the instructions are wonderful. I think someone who had never done any mechanical work could easy do this. I heartily recommend this modification to anyone with a convertible. I don't know why something like this didn't come from the factory. Walt, Gus, everyone, thanks a million for all your research and work on this. I'll sleep better at night now Hopefully tomorrow is nice so I can drop the top.

Just so people are aware:

I did this same thing.
Kudos to you! Good to know we helped!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Feedback

Ken, thanks for the feedback. Several kit installers have run into the interference you mentioned. It depends on how that elbow was installed. There is no problem with moving that elbow slightly clockwise but most have done what you did. Yours is definitely the low risk method as it is the coupling nut on the fitting that gets in the way. The prototype in my car used a short pipe nipple to space things out but that leads to a Rube Goldberg mess of fittings so in the end it was decided to keep it as simple as possible in the name of reliability.

I have been contacted by some people with other cars that have similar Power-Packer roof systems that have exactly the same problems. This includes the infamous Polyflex 363 hose that seems to be the root of the evil.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hoses replacement instruction

Thanks Gus for a good advice on the telephone last week. I got my hoses made wit JIC fittings - (a local dealer 60 miles away does not stock them) and stripped everything above a dashboard. Now I am stuck. Is there anywhere available a TSB how to remove a left kick panel, door sill and how to get under the carpet. I assume that all these parts are somehow snapped in, but I dont want to apply to much force on anything - so far mild force did not help.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default I have an 02 XKR...

and (as yet) not had any problem with my top. Is it a guarantee that the hoses will fail at some point?

I bought the car used in 06, and have had it for 4 years. I have used the top many times.

Is this something that should be done as a preventative step?

Old 04-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dneu
Thanks Gus for a good advice on the telephone last week. I got my hoses made wit JIC fittings - (a local dealer 60 miles away does not stock them) and stripped everything above a dashboard. Now I am stuck. Is there anywhere available a TSB how to remove a left kick panel, door sill and how to get under the carpet. I assume that all these parts are somehow snapped in, but I dont want to apply to much force on anything - so far mild force did not help.
Well it is not an easy task but can be removed. If I recall it is a matter of lifting the kick panel and pulling out at the same time. I did take a flat head screwdriver to lift the sill a little (be careful not to bend it) to get the kick plate out from under. As for laying the hose all I did was reach under the carpet from the center console.

Quick Reply: The Results of the XK8 & XKR Hydraulic Hose & Equipment Evaluation