XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The Results of the XK8 & XKR Hydraulic Hose & Equipment Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 03 XK8.I live 50 miles north of Seattle and the car is always garaged. The previous owner lived in Seattle and had the car garaged both at home and at work. He bought the car in January 05. Prior to that the car was in Florida for 18 months. I am pretty certain that the latch hoses have never been replaced.

Anyone willing to give me a guess as to my chances of avoiding a hose failure given the mild climate here ( Current temp is 52F with 2+ inches of rain in the last 2 days!) and that the car lives indoors.

I am sure that you will all recomend the LSI kit anyway and I am leaning that way somewhat.

Thanks Walt and Gus for your work.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Go for the kit--good insurance. After having my hoses replaced by the dealer I was somewhat hesitant to be operating the top. At about the same time Gus/Walt came out with the kit. So I bought and installed on and do not feel nearly as nervous now about using the convertible.

Doug

Old 05-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably inspect the hoses at the point that they connect to the top latch, relatively easily by removing a few screws that hold the top header cover and the latch assembly on (ref to Gus's website instructions).

This would give you some insight as to the condition of your hoses. When my hose blew it happened right where the hose goes into the fitting that screws into the latch assembly. I believe that this is the same for most failures.

The condition of both hoses was poor; the black outer coating was brittle and flaking off along the area that is exposed to high temp (along the header above the windshield) which I believe is a tell tale sign of imminent failure.

I think that the conditions that you have described (garage kept, cooler climate) may prolong the life of the hoses, but for how long ????

The LSI kit will undoubtedly help prolong the life as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenryr
I have an 03 XK8.I live 50 miles north of Seattle and the car is always garaged. The previous owner lived in Seattle and had the car garaged both at home and at work. He bought the car in January 05. Prior to that the car was in Florida for 18 months. I am pretty certain that the latch hoses have never been replaced.

Anyone willing to give me a guess as to my chances of avoiding a hose failure given the mild climate here ( Current temp is 52F with 2+ inches of rain in the last 2 days!) and that the car lives indoors.

I am sure that you will all recomend the LSI kit anyway and I am leaning that way somewhat.

Thanks Walt and Gus for your work.
Jhenryr - I live in Bellevue, I'm a Mechanical Engineer, and just installed the relief valve on my 2006 two days ago. I can think of no better way to ruin a nice, sunny day (rare as they may be) than to get the legendary "Green Shower". Granted, my car spent its early years in Boise, so I have a little more concern, although it was always garaged. When I explained the situation to my wife, she had no issue with my spending the money for the "insurance" (she doesn't look good in green.) It's a real easy install, and a very elegant design.

I also want to second the thanks to Walt and Gus.

Cheers,

Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Big time thanks to Gus!

I recently completed the "Green Shower Avoidance Mod" and cannot express how grateful I am to Gus for making those super-helpul pictures and instructions available to us. THANKS A TON MAN!!

Cheers,

Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I received the P.R.V. kit yesterday. I will install it on Saturday. It looks very straight forward. Thanks Gus, and everyone else!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Changed hydraulic fluid and installed pressure relief

Originally Posted by walt_00XKRConv
The system was tested to find out what pressure is required to operate the roof. This involved taking a pump apart to find out how it works, installing a pressure sensor in the system, and coming up with a design that can be easily installed DIY. The relief valve kit dumps any flow that occurs above this pressure back to the tank. The system does not have a built in pressure relief so when the cylinders hit the end of travel the pressure builds to the maximum that the pump can deliver. You can see this in the graphs taken from the data logger that Gus has published. The excessive pressure is 500-600 psi above what is required to operate the roof system.

My company is buying the calibrated valves in bulk from the factory. If for some reason the roof does not operated properly the valve can be adjusted. The hoses are rated at 6000psi and are the highest quality possible. Nothing was spared in that regard. A full DIY instruction will be available on our web site later today. This is all just hitting the street.

The operate time is not affected. It takes around 3 seconds to open and about 17 seconds to close more or less. The graphs came from my car and some variability is to be expected based on temperature, battery voltage, and phase of the moon.

The system self purges so there is no need to bleed off trapped air. Very little oil is lost during the install if the instructions are followed.

There is no need to change hoses unless the car has Nylaflow hoses to the latch. Nylaflow hoses were used up to a certain date when it was discovered that they fall apart in the high temperature conditions at the latch. The Polyflex replacement does not have this problem. This upgrade reduces the stress on the system by 33% so the hoses will be on easy street. I have been in contact with Parker, who made the custom hose for Power Packer, and that hose (product #363) has been discontinued. This means that the factory hose will not be available at some point very soon. Gus and I are looking into making a replacement available, but I doubt that a reliable splice hose will be possible, so only a full length hose will be feasible (in my opinion). The fittings must exactly match the dimensions of the hose (ID and OD) and the special hose used in the car does not match up with any of the commercially available hose fittings according to Parker. We have not been able to find a fitting that would be reliable for a DIY install.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions.
Thanks Walt, Installed relief valve and changed fluid today. Thanks for all your hard work. Outstanding Thread Ron Gerst

Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Installed the kit. She works like a champ!!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Much appreciate the thorough research and the easy to follow photos. I learn more than I ever did with the Jag dealer. I am planning to order and install the kit - even after the dealer (who charged me $3500) claimed he fixed the green rain, there is a slow leak on the drivers side door column (right above the hood latch).

Originally Posted by Gus
Over the past year I have worked endlessly to provide a solution related to the problem of the rupturing hydraulic hoses for the xk8 convertible top. Several months later after receiving many hoses I worked to develop a hose that would accept the pressure and temperature. Soon after I received a latch that had evidence of the seal being dislodged causing a leak. Shortly after that the lifts were failing at what I thought was an alarming rate. I began to think that several other latches were failing just did not know how many or why. Well at the same time Tom (TestPoint) had a pump that he was willing to give away to a good home. Well I did all I could to get my hands on it and in a few days I got it in the mail. During that time I had several conversations with Walt (Walt Nuschke 00XKR Conv) about the pump and the new findings related to the seals in the latch and lifts. Seeing Walt was better qualified in the evaluation I sent the pump to him. You can see his findings on my page, I will provide a link below. Walt has since developed a device to be installed at the pump that will reduce the operating pressure to the entire roof operating system. We feel that this reduction in operation pressure will dramatically reduce and in most cases eliminate the frequency of hose, latch and lift failures. Because we are unable to predict the life of the existing system in your car we are reluctant to say you will never have another leak.

I am so confident about this device I installed it in my car! I am also going to end my quest to finding a solution to the hyd hose problem because this is it. I want to thank everyone for their input and patience when dealing with me. And thank you Chick & Ron for the hose and Tom for the old pump & Walt for the Hydraulic pressure relief valve and the many people that provided parts for evaluation!

http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm To see the pressure valve and how to get it and links to the hose evaluation, hose replacement and new hose. I am not making a penny from this product. I am however, placing this information for the person that wants and needs it.

A great deal of unselfish time and effort went into the research and development of the roof operation information that was used in the design and development of the new hose and new pressure relief valve.

When I took this project on I told those involved I would stay on it until the end and I did just that!

This post should not be taken as an advertisement in any way. It is to say that this project is completed.

Gus

Old 02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear about your continuing leak. I had the dealer replace my failed hydraulic line (2003 XKR) with the repair kit which also failed. A slow leak in the same spot that you mention. I finally had the entire line replaced and also installed the pressure relief valve. I'm afaird that your dealer used a repair kit which is no longer recommended for use. I gave Gus my failed repair kit hoses as part of his efforts to investigate a permanennt solution. I'm sure Gus can give you further information.
Good Luck
BobF

Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kvmentor
Much appreciate the thorough research and the easy to follow photos. I learn more than I ever did with the Jag dealer. I am planning to order and install the kit - even after the dealer (who charged me $3500) claimed he fixed the green rain, there is a slow leak on the drivers side door column (right above the hood latch).

It sound like the dealer installed the splice kit rather than the complete hose. What else could possibly result in leaks in the A-pillar?

Doug

Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

That is the way it sounds to me. If it is leaking and the kit / hose was installed recently I would go back to the dealership and see what they have to say. From what I can remember Jaguar pulled the kits knowing that they had a high failure rate.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Default Pressure relief kit on back order

Thank you all - I think that's right - but it was three years ago and they have closed that dealership.

FYI I ordered the kit yesterday and received an email saying the fitting is back ordered.

I will look again at the 6+ hour project that Gus undertook to replace the entire hose - anyone know a good Jag mechanic in Phoenix?

Kal

Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Anyone with the tools and a little mechanical ability can do this. The big drawback it the time involved. Find someone to help and offer them dinner you will get it done and have company in the process. Just remember that misery loves company.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kvmentor
FYI I ordered the kit yesterday and received an email saying the fitting is back ordered.

Kal
Yeah, I got the same e-mail. I spoke with them and they expect the parts to make the device mid February, so there should not be a big delay. I don't use the top much in the winter anyway. It is all good.

My mechanically inclined friend is going to help me. Can't wait to get it and install it so I can use the top sort of worry free.

Jack

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM

This is the best part of convertible time in the Southwest! However, if its a couple of weeks, I will survive.

Gus - Re the splice on the drivers side, is there a way to repair the hose there rather than replace the entire hose? Or is the pressure so high that any fitting will just pop off?

Thanks

Kal

Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I spent a little over a year trying to make one work and most all the people I talked to about splices did not want to have a thing to do with it. After my full investigation on the hose and the pump pressures I elected to can the idea. Hoses failing and seals failing at the lifts and latch splices were doomed to fail. As for the existing splice it has a right and wrong way to install it either way it is doomed. I personally installed one two times because of leaks and in another car one time then the entire line was replaced. The pressure valve has eliminated the excessive pressure but understand that the system is still operating at 1000psi and I personally feel the splice will still fail. I hope I answered your question. Sorry for the rambling but a little tired, it has been a long day.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic job on all of the work done on this problem.

So I had the green drips out of my speaker grill at the end of last summer. Well, summer is on it's way again so it's time to fix it.

What is the final verdict on the replacement hoses? Get the Jag parts or has a better replacement been found?

If the fittings are unique can an adapter be made and then standard size, braided steel hoses be used?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

The fact that this has been a chronic problem with these cars that was never properly addressed by Jaguar is amazing enough. But, come on, how difficult could it be to have designed a decent splice kit. You can't tell me that hydraulic lines are never successfully spliced so what is the big mystery about developing a decent kit? Whatever the cost of the parts it would be infinitely preferable to tearing out the entire interior to run full length hoses.

Doug

Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Design was not an issue it was finding someone to make it. You need to keep in mind that this application is not highly sought out and the rate of return is low.

Quick Reply: The Results of the XK8 & XKR Hydraulic Hose & Equipment Evaluation