XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Reviving a black mohair hood (roof)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reviving a black mohair hood (roof)

Does anyone have a good experience with any of the various hood/roof reviving products on the market? I need at some point to revive the dense black colour of the MOHAIR hood/roof on my 2001 XK8. I have checked the internet - generally - nd have come across some horror stories with Renovo products, and also with the Autoglym product.
The topic is confusing because neither the product advertisers nor the people who post the horror stories (or those who respond to them) make the details precise/clear.
For example, nearly all the product advertising out there fails to make clear whether the products are intended for VINYL or genuine MOHAIR. Some use the imprecise term 'canvas' (which is unhelpful).
It would appear that the Renovo products are really designed for Vinyl, hence they create a kind of lacquered layer that seems wholly unsuitable for Mohair fabric.
I don't have any problem with the cleanliness of the mohair. I live in a very dry climate. There is no mildew (which seems to be what most hood/roof cleaning products are intended for). My only problem is that the black colour has faded a little, and I would like to return to the dense black colour.
What should I use?

Charles Bodman Rae, Adelaide, Australia
Silver XK8 (2001) with black mohair roof

Old 11-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Oh! Happy Day!

Originally Posted by BodmanRae
Does anyone have a good experience with any of the various hood/roof reviving products on the market? I need at some point to revive the dense black colour of the MOHAIR hood/roof on my 2001 XK8. I have checked the internet - generally - nd have come across some horror stories with Renovo products, and also with the Autoglym product.
The topic is confusing because neither the product advertisers nor the people who post the horror stories (or those who respond to them) make the details precise/clear.
For example, nearly all the product advertising out there fails to make clear whether the products are intended for VINYL or genuine MOHAIR. Some use the imprecise term 'canvas' (which is unhelpful).
It would appear that the Renovo products are really designed for Vinyl, hence they create a kind of lacquered layer that seems wholly unsuitable for Mohair fabric.
I don't have any problem with the cleanliness of the mohair. I live in a very dry climate. There is no mildew (which seems to be what most hood/roof cleaning products are intended for). My only problem is that the black colour has faded a little, and I would like to return to the dense black colour.
What should I use?

Charles Bodman Rae, Adelaide, Australia
Silver XK8 (2001) with black mohair roof

Charlie,

You can buy a new Bonnet Liner for $216.06 @ Jaguar Parts of Las Vegas Part #C2N2616 w/or without supercharger.....I have found that, If it cost less than $500.00 Bucks and it's Jaguar! Buy it!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 11-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Renovo

Renovo do a vynal and a mohair version.
I've used the later for 9 years on my black xk8 roof and it's always given great results.

Not heard of any issues! Did they use the wrong version?

Old 11-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi. I have used the Renovo products on my blue coloured soft top roof several times and found them excellent. I use the cleaner followed by the reviver and this removed the green algae growth completely. You have to follow the instructions precisely and use the correct product for canvas roofs. Cheers

​​​​​​​

Old 11-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

What we have here is failure to communicate (Strother Martin, 1967). OP was talking (I believe) about the convertible top (hood) while second poster was talking about under-the-bonnet meaning under-the-hood (USA).

Doug