XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

RIP CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default RIP CD Changer

It looks like my CD changer has finally gone to the Great Electronics pile in the Sky( or needs to). Is there a remanufactorer in U.S. or other wise who will reworks these units? I have about 120 CD, and would like to us them as well as keep some parts of my XK original. Not a big fan of 'bluetooth, streaming', or whatever.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Don't know, but I regularly see these on ebay for $50-$150. My 'spare' is from a junkyard ($10 and works) acquired defensively since I use mine all the time too (and the bluetooth).

Old 12-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
It looks like my CD changer has finally gone to the Great Electronics pile in the Sky( or needs to). Is there a remanufactorer in U.S. or other wise who will reworks these units? I have about 120 CD, and would like to us them as well as keep some parts of my XK original. Not a big fan of 'bluetooth, streaming', or whatever.
FWIW, you can keep the changer and still put in a Bluetooth. The one I’m using doesn’t involve cutting any wires and can be installed or removed in about 30 minutes, since you’re already going to have the stack of electronics
pulled anyway it’s something to consider.

I think you will be able to find a CD changer on eBay easiest.

Z

PS. I had to shop for for a replacement amp recently and there were many to choose from. I wasn’t sure the amp was bad (had no way to test it) so was shooting in the dark. That considered I purchased the cheapest one on eBay for $32 & change. I lucked out and the new / used amp fixed my
problem and is working perfectly,

Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

That is my plan of attack right now. Just bought one from eBay that I hope will work. I bought one that was supposedly "Remanufactored". Put it in and it would not eject the magazine that was in it. Do not know if it was mag or what, but sent it back.
Now I have pulled the amp and navigation unit. Since I replaced the nav system with 3 gauge system do not need nav box. I managed to remove the Nav unit from the rack, and still have radio and tape. Plan to sell the Nav unit for $25 + postage if anyone is interested. I may have a Harmon Kardon amp coming. Do not know if it will replace my existing amp or not.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had a couple of mine rebuilt at Willman's electronics in Garland Texas 972-414-8016 or willmanselectronics.com. He replaces the head unit. I've had no trouble with them since 2012 and I had three done for my XJs and Majestic.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Thx, I will give them a call/electron.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:51 AM

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

I checked their web site. It says that they are no longer repairing CD Changers.
Back to square one???

Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 PM
Received 4,317 Likes on 3,731 Posts

what is wrong with the original CD changer? Most of the issues are related to the plastic gears coming loose - specifically the worm gear. Have had to take mine apart a few times - last time I added loc-tight to keep the screw from backing out

Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Sam,

Don't they have an Auto/Radio Shop in Florida? I had this problem a couple years ago and took it down to the Shop and they pulled it out and messed with it for a few minutes and put it back in and it is still working for $25.00......I also have an extra one in case something happens ......can't go without my CD's......Biggest problem I've had is with the CD's....if it is one that I bought, they seem to work better and longer than one that I recorded......Don't know why! I got a player in my sound area in the Den that holds 100 CD's and I play it all the time....The fastest way to get it going is to find one of those Auto Radio Shops......You drive -in and they pull it out and mess with it a few minutes and pt it back in and charge you $25.00 Bucks and off you go!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

B.C. et al,
The changer began stopping during the CD change out( CD 1 to CD2, etc., then giving and "Error" code. Magazine would then be locked in and would require extensive 'giggling' with a putty knife to remove the cartridge. Eventually I could not get the CD to play without getting the error code.
I went to local Radio/auto radio shops to look for repair. No luck. Few people locally use CDs(I think most of our residents still use only AM radios). I was recommended to a shop in Brea, Calif. 'Mossaoud', said that they have limited parts, but he would go through it and see if he could fix it. Worth a try. Meanwhile, I have ordered a replacement through ebay(first one did not work). Will see if this one does. I also pulled out the Navigation unit(replace Nav system with 3 Gauge unit). I plan to list the navigation unit, without the display, in the classified section since I do not need it anymore.
Once all is reinstalled, I will have a space between the amp and CD changer. Hope to rig some type of storage for my CDs. I have about 120, so I would really like to use my in-car player.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,358 Likes on 749 Posts

Well, they must be rare for sure, GONE, Sorry.

Last edited by cjd777; 12-24-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Magazine the Problem?

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
B.C. et al,
The changer began stopping during the CD change out( CD 1 to CD2, etc., then giving and "Error" code. Magazine would then be locked in and would require extensive 'giggling' with a putty knife to remove the cartridge. Eventually I could not get the CD to play without getting the error code.
I went to local Radio/auto radio shops to look for repair. No luck. Few people locally use CDs(I think most of our residents still use only AM radios). I was recommended to a shop in Brea, Calif. 'Mossaoud', said that they have limited parts, but he would go through it and see if he could fix it. Worth a try. Meanwhile, I have ordered a replacement through ebay(first one did not work). Will see if this one does. I also pulled out the Navigation unit(replace Nav system with 3 Gauge unit). I plan to list the navigation unit, without the display, in the classified section since I do not need it anymore.
Once all is reinstalled, I will have a space between the amp and CD changer. Hope to rig some type of storage for my CDs. I have about 120, so I would really like to use my in-car player.
When my changer stopped working, I removed the trays from the magazine (once I maneuvered it out) and polished/lubricated the slide pads, which had become rough/worn. This tune-up has solved the problem for two years now. Probably have to buy a new magazine, but I think they are still for sale on eBay. Should buy a spare in any case while they are still available.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

I have about 20, 6 disc magazines. Most seem to be in good shape. I think the problem is the drive mechanism inside the changer. Someone has said that it is a nylon gear that becomes worn. Hope the guys in Calif. can fix the problem. I am starting to collect a few backup changers, I think. Just hope they work.
Still need to get rid of Navigation unit.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:49 PM

On mine it was the laser that went bad.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Sam,

I have an extra CD Changer hidden away....Just in case the one in the Car decides to quit.....Every time I've had a problem, all I've done is go down to this little Radio Shop and they pull it out and do something to it and charge me $20.00 and it starts working again.....Been OK now for 3 or 4 years....They are the Guy's that told me about using the "Copies" rather than the Original CD's....Apparently, the Copies are thinner or something and they will cause it to hang-up inside....I've tried to use original CD's since....Try that!!!

Billy Clyde.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 195 Likes on 165 Posts

Hey Billy,
I've never had trouble with "copied" CDs. I always use a name brand blank CD when I make one.
Marty

Old 12-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Marty! That's what the Guy at the Fix'em up Store told me....Billy Clyde

Old 12-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe I should send you my unit, and let them check it. I use both original and 'Composed CDs. Get a hang up with either.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default Shift between CDs.

Originally Posted by stephenniz
On mine it was the laser that went bad.
Mine hangs up when going from one to another.

Quick Reply: RIP CD Changer