XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

RIP CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Sam,

The problem I have had were with the CD's that I bought at the Office Depot...Remember, they came in aa Tube of 10, 25 & 50? I guess they were smaller or thinner than the One's that came with the "Star's" Photo on them...Never knew why, have you been told? Send it on over and I'll take it over there....

Billy Clyde

Old 12-27-2020, 07:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I just did a web search and these came up
justservice.com
ifixit.com

Both are CD changer repair. I have no knowledge of them but they may be worth a try

Old 12-27-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Thx for all the good info. I have sent it to a shop in Calif. recommended by one member. I spoke to them and they will go thru it and see if they can fix it. If not It may go Texas or ????

Thx,

Sam

Old 01-11-2021, 01:00 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to put a final note on my previous reply about polishing/lubricating the magazine. Although this is a "band-aid" approach to what is more than likely a wearing out of the changer gears ( I appreciate the comment from our moderator sklimii as to which gear to check), I forgot to mention that I also ever-so-lightly lubed the notch at the back of each tray that engages the locking/ejection spring tang mounted on the back of the case. Doing so made the most improvement in the ease of extracting and loading the trays by the changer with probably less stress on the worn nylon gears. Again, how long this tweak will be good for no one can know, but it was a quick fix to bring the music back on line. I also had the good luck in getting the immobile magazine out by tapping on the top/side of the changer case - apparently caused the release of the jammed/half-loaded tray.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

I also picked up a Change from eBay, that came with a Harmon-Kardon amp. I replaced the changer and tried replacing my 'standard' amp with the H-K. H-K amp did not have a power plug(??), only the 2-3 plastic plug inputs. The changer worked, but I now have an H-K amp that I cannot use as well as an extra 'standard' amp. If anyone wants them, p.m. me
After I removed the Nav unit, I had an extra space below the changer(moved it up to the Nav slot. I padded the space with a little bubble wrap, and covered it with black velvet. Now I have a small storage space that will hold 2 extra magazines. I just have to hope the changer holds out.

Nav unit in place

Nav unit gone, and space padded and covered.

Finished area.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:55 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Sam,

Don't they have an Auto/Radio Shop in Florida? I had this problem a couple years ago and took it down to the Shop and they pulled it out and messed with it for a few minutes and put it back in and it is still working for $25.00......I also have an extra one in case something happens ......can't go without my CD's......Biggest problem I've had is with the CD's....if it is one that I bought, they seem to work better and longer than one that I recorded......Don't know why! I got a player in my sound area in the Den that holds 100 CD's and I play it all the time....The fastest way to get it going is to find one of those Auto Radio Shops......You drive -in and they pull it out and mess with it a few minutes and pt it back in and charge you $25.00 Bucks and off you go!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch
Billy,

Fairly new XKR owner here. I was having trouble with CDs that I burned. Read on Mr. Internet that you should burn the CDs at the slowest speed possible. Helped me out. I'll probably get a CD cleaner, and disassemble my changer and lubricate it. It is 19 years old after all.

Bill

Old 02-15-2022, 05:43 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CD Quality

Originally Posted by 73MustangBill
Billy, Fairly new XKR owner here. I was having trouble with CDs that I burned. Read on Mr. Internet that you should burn the CDs at the slowest speed possible. Helped me out. I'll probably get a CD cleaner, and disassemble my changer and lubricate it. It is 19 years old after all. Bill
Yep. Good quality blanks really help and some will last longer. Verbatim has an "archival quality" cd-r but I haven't used them. Manufactured cds are often (or were) pressed and avoid the issues with the dyes failing, as in a hot trunk. I have had cds fail by leaving them in an auto player and vibration making enough scratches to ruin them (GM truck). If you have something you like, I'd copy it with a good ripper and burn a copy. Exact Audio Copy was once the best, I don't know now.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally, this Link started just before Christmas in 2020....My CD Player is still operating with no problems here a couple of years later! Of course, I changed all the CD's to originals some time ago, No Blanks anymore...It's either because they are all Originals or the Player heard about the spare I have in storage.....but everything is working great!

I did try to stop the Antena from going up and down when using the CD Player only...but I guess the Video I watched was for an earlier model XKR as the wire I cut and put the switch in does not work...either I cut the wrong wire or the switch doesn't work...Is there a different wire in the 2003 and up that you cut to stop the Antena?

Old 02-16-2022, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,686 Likes on 1,001 Posts

In my ‘02 you just pull a fuse to stop just the antenna. Probably not that easy in your ‘03.

Z

Old 02-17-2022, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry Jay but apparently 2005 uses a different wire to control the Antena than the one in the UTUBE....I think it is a pre-2003 XK....Apparently, the 2003 and above Models use a different wire to control the Antena....Is there another UTUBE Video of the newer Model? I would like to be able to switch the Antena off while the CD is playing...and not look like a Cop Car going down the Street....

Old 02-17-2022, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Is there a different wire in the 2003 and up that you cut to stop the Antena?

Billy, I've just compared the 1998 and 2003 electrical diagrams, and the only difference I can see is that the wire colour changed slightly from green/black to light green/black in 2003. It runs through the same pins in the same connectors on both.

I did this and it was straightforward. I followed rothwell's post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post1603029

The following users liked this post:
Dr. D (02-21-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Due to the lack of "Old time Rock and Roll" in S.W. Fla(most station do easy listening ' Beach Music'), I just pulled the CB for my antenna. Listening to "Bare Foot Man" from Cayman Islands, Jimmy Buffet, Elton John, and other appropriate songs for us 'Old Fa*ts'. too old to worry about new age Rap and such. Been there, done that. Sorry, 'Snoop Dog" just doesn't get it.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:14 PM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

FWIW:
On 6/30/2013, I did the mechanicals to resync the cd. While inside the unit, I cleaned the optics (Q-tips with cleaner, maybe rubbing alcohol).
As I had done the mechanicals a couple of times before, I credit deep cleaning the optics with its flawless operation for nearly 8 years now.
(Edit: pardon my math, nearly 9 years)

Last edited by Dr. D; 02-21-2022 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Math
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. D:
cjd777 (02-23-2022), Jon89 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Dr. D......

How many CD's do you have in the Player that you made with "Office Depot" CD's? I've had no problems with my Player since I removed the "Copies" and started using only the originals!!!!

Billy Clyde

Old 02-21-2022, 10:02 PM
Received 287 Likes on 205 Posts

Hey Dr. D......

How many CD's do you have in the Player that you made with "Office Depot" CD's? I've had no problems with my Player since I removed the "Copies" and started using only the originals!!!!

Billy Clyde
I had all originals in the player, but you got my curiosity up and I loaded these 4 copies. Much to my satisfaction, they all played flawlessly in my changer.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Dr. D,
All of these Copies are quality...Memorex, Pro Media CD-R Disc! They should work just fine in the Player! The ones we've been talking about are the cheap Office Max Disc that comes in the Plastic Tubes....They are the CDs that create the Blockages over a period of time......I haven't measured the cheap O/D CD's but I suspect that they are thinner than the named Brands! Anyway, that's mine and the CD Player Repairman's thoughts about the problem...

Hopefully, Dr, you will not have to deal with this problem, as I have!

Old 02-22-2022, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,386 Likes on 2,865 Posts

I must admit that during more than ten years of ownership of my wife's 2006 XK8, I have never even turned on the audio system. I know she listened to it extensively when the car was her daily driver between early February 2012 and late October 2018 and I remember her being relatively satisfied with the audio quality (which is always a challenge in a ragtop)....