Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Panel Rot

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
yyk
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker Panel Rot

After a very nice day here around 50 degrees in the winter, and a thorough washing and detailing I discovered to my surprise that I have some rust bubbles just starting to form on the passenger side right in front of the rear tire and several more bubbles forming on the driver side. Kind of counter-intuitive for the roads here in the States.

Since these rocker panels are textured, how easy would it be for a shop to match this after the cut the rust out?

Are whole replacement rear panels even available.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
yyk
Default Rocker Panel Rust

I should add that this is a '00 model year XKR.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Any good body shop should be able to repair and match the chip guard, "Rocker Shutes", 3M's brand.
The only parts are available are from Jaguar the complete quarter panel $1900.00 to $2000.00. But any good shop can fabricate a steel patch for your repair

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 554 Posts

Not a body man myself, but there are several links regarding cancer in the XKs. Mostly UK, but it's an issue up north in the US as well.

Try this for starters, but beware, some of the pictures are scary.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-04-xkr-65647/

The stone guard texture on the rockers can be replicated by the way.

Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
yyk (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
yyk
Default Rocker Panel Rot

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Not a body man myself, but there are several links regarding cancer in the XKs. Mostly UK, but it's an issue up north in the US as well.

Try this for starters, but beware, some of the pictures are scary.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-04-xkr-65647/

The stone guard texture on the rockers can be replicated by the way.

Good Luck!

Saw these, and man am I now more confused than ever! I see floor pan rust and yes, the dual coated rocker panel rust from the mid-door line back and the repair he is working on.

That repair is of direct concern to me. I see the drilled holes he made to squeeze in some kind of waterproofing or adhesive coating, but what grommets is he talking about? They can't be the large rubber ones you see in the front of the rear wheel arch. And I don't like the idea of externally facing grommets.

Is he saying that water accumulated in the wheel arch from a stuffed-up drain pipe from the gas filler cap hole area? The water eventually reaching the wheel arch and then the rocker area? Or that the rear rocker drains do not do their job properly of draining the water period? So that water from any source such as the gas cap drain, wheel splash, road splash, etc, will enter and stay in the rocker?

In any event he had to fabricate all of this, XKRacer, that is. Is a product such as Rocker Shutes, by 3M also an alternative, as mentioned in my thread? I don't have money in my pocket to shell out 1900 for each quarter panel.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 554 Posts

As a previous poster noted, any competent body shop can put in repair panels. Just make sure they get it all. Old rust begats new rust very fast. Get it on a lift so you can see the extent of it.

And please, post some pictures so the experts (not me) can give you a better idea of what you might be looking at in terms of damage.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

YYK
Where are you located at? If your car has been driven in the winter up north you will probably have quite a bit of corrosion, after all your car is 13 years old. Our regular SUV's last about ten years before the rust starts eating them away. Our 2000 Explorer rockers are in about the condition where it's starting to come through, luckily there's a plastic trim piece covering them. Last fall when I was underneath it doing routine maintenance I noticed the corrosion. Rocker Shutes is 3M brand for chip guard the rough finish on your rockers. get up underneath and you'll have a good Idea of what's going on. Sometimes if it's to far along it's not worth spending the money to have it repaired, considering the price of rust repair and panel fabrication. Good Luck on getting the cat repaired.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM
yyk

YYK
Where are you located at?
I'm in No. Virginia, but rarely winter driven here. But the car spent 2 years by a previous owner in Connecticut. And before that the car was in Miami for about 3 years. The rust seems limited to the upper layer of the dual coated rocker sheet. It's just starting to bubble on the passenger side and has visible bubbles on the drivers side. None has opened up.

Last edited by yyk; 01-07-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: New message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't think it would be too corroded. Hopefully it may just be starting, and not to extensive. Don't be too freaked out about the pictures those cars were subjected to heavy salt over in England, just like the rust belt in the Midwest.

Last edited by RCSign; 01-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
yyk
Default Pics.

Here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Rocker Panel Rot-img-driver-00002.jpg   Rocker Panel Rot-img-passenger.jpg   Rocker Panel Rot-img-driver-00006.jpg   Rocker Panel Rot-img-driver-00007.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

That looks more like just the stone guard has blistered, very common..... There will be water behind there, strange how it gets there I know and I can only guess how, what you get is a swirl pattern under it caused by the water but the galvanising does its job it is only when you see the fender edge rusting badly then you might have cause for concern, however yours don't look that bad