XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Running out of projects to DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 772 Posts
Default Running out of projects to DIY

In the last 3 years (and 10,000 miles) since I have owned this XKR, I've replaced:
  • All cooling and heater system hoses (including octopus and valley), thermostat, water pump and expansion tank
  • Serpentine and supercharger belts, as well as supercharger fluid
  • Transmission drain and fill with replacement of filter/pan, mechatronic sleeve connector, and valve body seals
  • Tires, now using BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S and front wheels which were cracked
  • Brakes: new pads and rotors all around, as well as fluid flush with new DOT 4
  • Drivers door latch microswitch
  • Park brake adjustment
  • Mina Gallery aluminum intake tube and new air filter
  • About 3 engine oil and filter changes and oil pan with gasket (someone seems to have hit something hard with the oil pan, it was bent but not broken)
  • Valve cover gaskets
  • A/C recharge and repair of broken pipe
  • Entire front suspension including: sway bar links and bushes, upper and lower control arm bushes and ball joints, shock mount and lower shock bush, and tie rod ends. Used polyurethane where available (nearly all of it).
  • Rear suspension: lower shock bush, upper shock isolators and mount bush (foam unfortunately; I finished this project today).

Along the way I found the previous owner had changed, although not documented:
  • Goodridge braided steel brake lines
  • Exhaust: center resonator delete, removal of before axle mufflers, and replacement of rearmost with Flowmasters.
  • Engine mounts: when I was inspecting them yesterday, I found that the previous guy that changed them wrote the date he replaced them with a red sharpie: July 8, 2015

I inspected the oil cooler hoses and they all appear to be in great shape. He might have replaced them at some point. They even have the newer style crimp.

At which point, all that I'm being left with to fix or modify on this car is:
  • Headrest issue
  • The Park brake microswitch
  • Add Realgauge
  • Add DiscountStereo bluetooth module
  • Replace high beams and fog lights with LEDs
  • Failing clear coat on roof, will need a respray
  • Paint wheels Dorchester Gray
I don't even want to know how much I have spent on this car, but have made a reliable daily driver out of it and I am immensely satisfied with my work and in love with it. I have done about 95% of the work myself.

The following 9 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
crbass (04-03-2020), DavidYau (04-03-2020), Don B (02-16-2024), Dr. D (04-03-2020), GGG (04-04-2020), Johnken (04-03-2020), Just Another Guy (03-24-2021), ozbot (04-03-2020), Silver2002XKR (12-30-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Not sure we'll ever run out of work to be done

GD,

That's an impressive summary list of the love, care, and attention that's been given to your car. I too have a similar list.

Since I have had the car (approx. 2 years now), I've done the regular oil & filter changes, air filter service with new belt etc.
Plus I have done:
1. Convertible hood rear hydraulic hoses R&R
2. Cam cover gaskets R&R
3. ZF5HP24 Transmission fluid & filter change & Transgo PR Valve upgrade
4. Front suspension bushes and mounts R&R with polyflex
5. Rear Suspension top mounts
6. Ashtray module repair x2 eventual R&R
7. Repair of coffee cup holder mechanism (before I discovered it was useless)
8. Added antennae switch
9. All music speakers R&R
10. Radio head unit power/volume switch R&R
11. Repaired both door card's plastic retaining fixings & brackets
12. Repaired upper console map light unit with replacement mount
13. R&R seats' bases' rubber support diaphragm
14. Exhaust mod to stainless steel sports exhaust (a la DCR option 2) including new cats
15. Replacement Octopus hose
16. Replaced missing front wheel well liner access panel
17. Front left headlight lense replacement
18. Fix Bad body rust hole on right passenger side bottom sill (in front of rear wheel)
19. Trunk latch microswitch & diode R&R in my trunk light fiasco saga
20. Replaced all interior lights with LEDs
21. Power Steering high pressure hose R&R

Once a year, when I'm on holiday, I also take the car to a local body shop for what I call beauty treatment (ie fixing door's supermarket dents/scratches, rubbed bumper etc). Labour is cheap here in Bahrain for this kind of work.

My car's previous owner(s) seem to have a DIY mastic/superglue obsession so I had a lot to "properly" fix some of his/her half bodge repair jobs. Some of the bigger things that had been done previously include:
1. Car's original AJ26 engine had been swapped with a AJ27
2. New hydraulic hose to convertible hood overhead latch
3. Aluminium cooling tower
4. Replacement front right (passenger) head light unit

Some of my next To Do List includes
1. Cooling fluid flush R&R
2. Cooling system R&R including hoses and water pump
3. RealGauge mod
4. Cabin Heating doesn't work -already flushed the heater core and checked hoses' one way valves - so onto the water valve solenoid (not particularly important in the desert heat of Bahrain)
4. Alternator/Generator R&R
5. Front brake rotors R&R
6. Steering wheel finish - leather paint/wood repair - ongoing

+1 on your comment (quote) "....I have made a reliable daily driver out of it and I am immensely satisfied with my work and in love with it. I have done about 95% of the work myself." However my % is lower - about 80% as I sometimes use my local mechanic's car lift and he helps out sometimes. There's no better feeling than "A job well done."

Onto other potential future jobs, I've noticed
1. My replacement cam cover gaskets have started to leak again - after 2 years when I did the job
2. Front Timing Cover gasket has started leaking - hope it's not the front crankshaft main seal

I don't think the To Do list will ever end - but that's part of the enjoyment of owning an X100 - especially for me as a home hobby DIY "shade tree" mechanic. You can't expect anything different if you have a 20year old luxury GT car.

The following 4 users liked this post by DavidYau:
crbass (04-03-2020), Don B (02-16-2024), giandanielxk8 (04-03-2020), Just Another Guy (03-24-2021)
Old 04-03-2020, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 772 Posts

Your list is impressive as well. I wouldn't say these cars are unreliable, but I can see where the average Joe would give up on it quickly. At the age of these cars, things fail out of age, wear and tear. It's just the nature of the beast.

The following 2 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
crbass (04-03-2020), DavidYau (04-03-2020)