XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Rust opinions on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust opinions on possible purchase

Hello all, been lurking for a while and I really want a 03-06 xkr, preferably convertible. I found one in the Midwest that looks pretty good, 03 with recaro seats, bbs wheels and 65k on the clock. Definitely has some markings of a 20 year old car but looks to be pretty decent. I had them lift the car and send pics and found more rust than I like living in the south but seems like these cars are very prone to rust in general. Ideally I wanna keep this car for a long time probably wouldn't put more than 3k miles on it a year. . My question is this an expensive fix? Do I even need to do anything? Thanks for your advice. odly one sales man said I'm better off walking away and another 2 saying it's a really good car and this was all over the phone. I'm having a friend for drive the car in person and report back but he's only got a basic knowledge of cars.

Appreas to have a hole already

Old 09-01-2022, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,556 Posts

The usual suspects of the plates on the underside of the footwells are showng rust. Although it looks early stages, there may well already be holes in the floor pan:- a fairly straightforward repair.

The hole by the rear subframe front mount is more of a concern since that is at the bottom of the drop leg which tends to rot out. Again, it doesn't appear to be extensive, but investigate further back where the rear subframe front mounts attach to the bottom of that box section. The whole area around the bottom of the rear sill/rocker can be problematic.

Work on the basis that there will always be more rot than you can see, and ideally, have someone who knows these cars and their weak spots give it a thorough inspection.

It generally doesn't look bad, so may be worth the gamble - depends on the price.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
piper 888 (09-03-2022), Userapatel (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
The usual suspects of the plates on the underside of the footwells are showng rust. Although it looks early stages, there may well already be holes in the floor pan:- a fairly straightforward repair.

The hole by the rear subframe front mount is more of a concern since that is at the bottom of the drop leg which tends to rot out. Again, it doesn't appear to be extensive, but investigate further back where the rear subframe front mounts attach to the bottom of that box section. The whole area around the bottom of the rear sill/rocker can be problematic.

Work on the basis that there will always be more rot than you can see, and ideally, have someone who knows these cars and their weak spots give it a thorough inspection.

It generally doesn't look bad, so may be worth the gamble - depends on the price.
Thanks for your observations
Here the link, I'm in no rush to buy but seems like a well sorted car outside the undercarriage.
https://www.landroverschaumburg.com/...a42b733a35436/

Old 09-02-2022, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

Does not look bad at all. The sills look good ,the main problem and more difficult to repair. Footwells no problem and a small hole by the grommet in the rear ...Wish mine was that good.
Check for water under the carpets (footwells) and water under the back seat ( two bolts) .
Quick spray with a nice black wax and a small plate to weld on and its all good

The following users liked this post:
Userapatel (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 07:47 AM

Thank you both, this is why I love these forums! It would be my first jag, etype for me is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen and these remind me so much of them. If the car were green I would have already gotten it.

Or I wait for one that's only lived in the south which there are but they want like 3k more which isn't bad but less options and I've had too many black on black cars
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/26C881CF
Based on your comment maybe $1.5k in work I'm guessing but who knows with today's cost.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:00 AM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Tough Call

First off it seem that 20K is high for the car. It seems you could find a car from a dry climate in mint condition for less than that. As far as the rust goes there are products such as Por 15 that can stop the rust, assuming you can get at it. If there is metal work requied I am sure the cost will easily exceed 1.5K unless you can do it yourself. Accidents and rust are two issues I always try to avoid. I like your comment on color, BRG on a Jag is the best solution. Good Luck.

Last edited by David Dougherty; 09-02-2022 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Thought of something
The following 2 users liked this post by David Dougherty:
dfbender (09-02-2022), Userapatel (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by David Dougherty
First off it seem that 20K is high for the car. It seems you could find a car from a dry climate in mint condition for less than that. As far as the rust goes there are products such as Por 15 that can stop the rust, assuming you can get at it. If there is metal work requied I am sure the cost will easily exceed 1.5K unless you can do it yourself. Accidents and rust are two issues I always try to avoid. I like your comment on color, BRG on a Jag is the best solution. Good Luck.
Thanks David, I have been looking for a few months and haven't seemed to have found anything with no accidents and upkeep for less than 20k, maybe I will throw a low offer after the holiday weekend and see what they say.

If anyone has a someone that's selling one they can recommend I'm all ears. Ideally I would would like to stay around 18k, I can do some mid to easy level engine and suspension work myself but body work is out of my realm.

Appreciate the continued feedback.

Old 09-02-2022, 04:39 PM
Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Here is one in MIami

Originally Posted by Userapatel
Thanks David, I have been looking for a few months and haven't seemed to have found anything with no accidents and upkeep for less than 20k, maybe I will throw a low offer after the holiday weekend and see what they say.

If anyone has a someone that's selling one they can recommend I'm all ears. Ideally I would would like to stay around 18k, I can do some mid to easy level engine and suspension work myself but body work is out of my realm.

Appreciate the continued feedback.
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd...529021685.html
This is a 2003 4.2 coupe. I know you are looking for a convertible but the coupes are actually more rare and valuable. Asking 16.5 k.
Most likely rust free if its spent time in MIami.. I also am looking for a used car (wife totaled my daily driver). There seems to be a real used car bubble going on right now. Good Luck

Userapatel (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 04:42 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Does not look bad at all. The sills look good ,the main problem and more difficult to repair. Footwells no problem and a small hole by the grommet in the rear ...Wish mine was that good.
Check for water under the carpets (footwells) and water under the back seat ( two bolts) .
Quick spray with a nice black wax and a small plate to weld on and its all good
Agreed Piston, the seals above the doors perish and water ingress drains down into the floorpan in the footwells, I have had both footwells cut and welded in the past. Also the rear lower sills behind the rear wheels go, they are double skinned and catch the water. They can not be recovered if they start to go. It is another cut and weld job to solve it. Basically replace the door rubbers and keep the rear lower sills clean and dry IMVHO. Apart from that all should be OK with good maintenance 👌

Old 09-02-2022, 05:09 PM

Hello all, been lurking for a while and I really want a 03-06 xkr, preferably convertible. I found one in the Midwest that looks pretty good, 03 with recaro seats, bbs wheels and 65k on the clock. Definitely has some markings of a 20 year old car but looks to be pretty decent. I had them lift the car and send pics and found more rust than I like living in the south but seems like these cars are very prone to rust in general. Ideally I wanna keep this car for a long time probably wouldn't put more than 3k miles on it a year. . My question is this an expensive fix? Do I even need to do anything? Thanks for your advice. odly one sales man said I'm better off walking away and another 2 saying it's a really good car and this was all over the phone. I'm having a friend for drive the car in person and report back but he's only got a basic knowledge of cars.

Appreas to have a hole already

I agree with the other posters here, it does not look too bad but as with any 20 year old car it is always going to be a gamble. If you live in a dry State then fine but I would get the underside sorted and undersealed if you live anywhere that gets snow in winter and salted roads Be prepared to spend money if you want to go for it. Prices are very subjective now and I don't know the US market. But a really good 03 XKR with 50k would go for £12k or so on Autotrader.

Just my humble experience from the UK 🇬🇧

Userapatel (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 05:29 PM

Here the link, I'm in no rush to buy but seems like a well sorted car outside the undercarriage.
Just my VHO again. The car looks nice but I hate the 20 inch split rim Detroit alloys, I think they look awful. The ride is quite firm on my 99XKR with the stock 18s. The 20s will make a very hard ride and replacement tyres will be more expensive. I would go for ones with the stock 18s if I were you. But just my opinion, beauty is in the eye and all that 👍👍
Best of luck mate 😉

Userapatel (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 05:34 PM

As I said, I think the standard 18s look better but again just a personal opinion.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

That is clean for a Chicago car, mine was a CA car and is not much cleaner after a few years here (that is with it in storage all winter and very little wet driving). A little under carriage bath and some POR15 over the rust and it will last another 20 years. Just talk them down to 15k and its a nice car!

Userapatel (09-02-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by David Dougherty
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd...529021685.html
This is a 2003 4.2 coupe. I know you are looking for a convertible but the coupes are actually more rare and valuable. Asking 16.5 k.
Most likely rust free if its spent time in MIami.. I also am looking for a used car (wife totaled my daily driver). There seems to be a real used car bubble going on right now. Good Luck
Thanks for this, agree on the bubble but don't see that bursting anytime soon but who knows. I do really want a convertible but may have to atleast inquire about this one.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty99XKR
As I said, I think the standard 18s look better but again just a personal opinion.

Love the color

Smitty99XKR (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 03:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 09-03-2022, 03:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How about this one.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

$1500 for a little hole in the floor !! We have guys who do mobile welding here in the UK on your drive who could fix that in 15 min.
You need to take off the sill trim plates (easy) and lift the carpet so they can weld the front floor pans usually from underneath. This is usually in flat plate,if you are looking for a replica of the original floor pan with all the swages then you will pay $$$$
Personally, I would epoxy a plate over that hole in the rear and go around the edge with a mastic gun in a jerky fashion to simulate a TIG weld. Underseal over and spray the underside with black wax
PS Never buy a car from me.

Userapatel (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
$1500 for a little hole in the floor !! We have guys who do mobile welding here in the UK on your drive who could fix that in 15 min.
You need to take off the sill trim plates (easy) and lift the carpet so they can weld the front floor pans usually from underneath. This is usually in flat plate,if you are looking for a replica of the original floor pan with all the swages then you will pay $$$$
Personally, I would epoxy a plate over that hole in the rear and go around the edge with a mastic gun in a jerky fashion to simulate a TIG weld. Underseal over and spray the underside with black wax
PS Never buy a car from me.
HAha, you make some great points. I don't know what this type of work cost but I would probably want it somewhat stockish but your points valid on if that should really matter for me.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by vmaxie
How about this one.
Sent a pm, without knowing much I'm sure your car is in better shape but also depends on what kind of premium your looking for. The 16.5k coupe is pretty tempting but let's see what your thinking.

Quick Reply: Rust opinions on possible purchase