XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

S-Type steering wheel in XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default S-Type steering wheel in XK8

So I asked a question on here a while ago about getting a track backward button on my XK8 steering wheel, and I just thought: why not use a different model?

Will the steering wheel out of a 2003+ S-Type work in a 98 XK8? I had an STR a few years back, and I remember the steering wheel to be much more to my liking; all leather/no wood (I am redoing the cracked dash wood in piano black), thicker wheel, nicer shape, etc.

So will the audio and cruise controls work? How about the airbag? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been wondering this too, since I have a 98 xk8 and an 04 x type and I like the x type wheel a lot more. I do have an extra x type wheel sitting around so if there isn't an answer to this I might try it out and see. I don't have an extra airbag though. I do know that the older x type wheel and the new x type wheel are interchangeable, and I think the s type and x type wheels are also interchangeable too so, it might work.

The following users liked this post:
metalmarty (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. I loved the wheel on my XJ with the green growler badge in the center. I know SType wheels come with that growler and color scheme. Would love to be able to switch it out on my XK sometime.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Justink201
I've been wondering this too, since I have a 98 xk8 and an 04 x type and I like the x type wheel a lot more. I do have an extra x type wheel sitting around so if there isn't an answer to this I might try it out and see. I don't have an extra airbag though. I do know that the older x type wheel and the new x type wheel are interchangeable, and I think the s type and x type wheels are also interchangeable too so, it might work.
You know, it's interesting that this generation XK8 has one of the most stylish and iconic bodies of any car ever, and yet the interior is so lackluster compared to the other Jags of similar years. I prefer the steering wheel, sound system, dash controls, and I'm sure many other interior things in my wife's X-Type over my XK8. And my old STR? Forget about it. The STR's interior was head and shoulders above the quality of my XK8. I never really got that. The XK8 right up until 2006 kept the same stupid fishing pole antenna, no electronic parking brake, subpar center console, and lack of a back track button on the steering wheel.

I'll start with the steering wheel. lol

Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jorge526
Interesting. I loved the wheel on my XJ with the green growler badge in the center. I know SType wheels come with that growler and color scheme. Would love to be able to switch it out on my XK sometime.
The XJ and S-type steering wheels are very similar, but I've never seen the XJ ones without the wood trim. I'm sure they make them, but at the same time I've never seen an XK8 without the wood, so I don't know.

Someone here has to have an answer for whether or not this will work. The mounting is fine I'd assume, but I'm concerned about the airbag and audio control functions.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts
Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 AM

I would like to bring this thread back to life for a bit to ask the question differently. I no longer care about the audio controls, as I have decided on an aftermarket head unit, and I will be able to get an adapter to make the audio controls work with that.

Now the only issue is the airbag. Does anybody know if the airbag connectors are the same in the XK8 and S-Type? Maybe someone has removed a steering wheel at some point and happened to take a picture of the connector?

Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Removing the wheel

Removing the wheel is maybe a 30 min job if you are slow. What took me extra time was disconnecting the air bag wasn't obvious (I was trying to disconnect at the wrong connection). It's just 4 screws behind the wheel to remove the airbag then disconnect it and the stereo/cruise controls then the airbag and finally remove the center nut and pull the wheel. All you need to do to check is pop the airbag, check the connectors, and reassemble. Likely take you less time then looking things up on the web.

I replaced my wheel a few months back, unfortunately I didn't take pictures or I'd post them.

metalmarty (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,453 Likes on 780 Posts

I think I saw someone here post that they changed theirs for the wheel in the X150 XK. I don't remember all the details but I think he hooked up the flappy paddles to the radio.

I would've personally tried to find a way to have them shift the tranny.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Default Paddles

Not trivial. I looked into it. There is one kit in the UK but you have to get the car to them to get it, they won't ship it to you. I've had a couple folks that do this in the US look at this and you can get a motor to do it for about $3,500 plus installation and there was no guarantee it would work. So it can be done but it is such a pain that it doesn't appear to be worth the effort. On the XKR, at least my year, you'd think you could adopt the XK150 components but I don't want to be the first. On the XK150 wheel last I saw he was still struggling with the stereo/cruise interfaces. As a side note I had a friend, who does this for Mustangs, create a kit that would allow you to use the switches on the steering wheel for other things (like paddles) but when I hit the wall on the transmission I couldn't figure what else I'd use them for.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
Not trivial. I looked into it. There is one kit in the UK but you have to get the car to them to get it, they won't ship it to you. I've had a couple folks that do this in the US look at this and you can get a motor to do it for about $3,500 plus installation and there was no guarantee it would work. So it can be done but it is such a pain that it doesn't appear to be worth the effort. On the XKR, at least my year, you'd think you could adopt the XK150 components but I don't want to be the first. On the XK150 wheel last I saw he was still struggling with the stereo/cruise interfaces. As a side note I had a friend, who does this for Mustangs, create a kit that would allow you to use the switches on the steering wheel for other things (like paddles) but when I hit the wall on the transmission I couldn't figure what else I'd use them for.

I have an idea, I have always wanted to be able to control the a/c without having to extend my arm to the center console.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I have an idea, I have always wanted to be able to control the a/c without having to extend my arm to the center console.
I've always wondered why this is possible in my Mercury Marauder and my Lincoln, but not any of my 3 Jags. They were all owned by Ford at the time, so why didn't they think of that?

Old 09-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by metalmarty
I've always wondered why this is possible in my Mercury Marauder and my Lincoln, but not any of my 3 Jags. They were all owned by Ford at the time, so why didn't they think of that?
American luxury caters to the lazy.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Quite true! haha

Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Default Air Conditioning

I could hook you up with him if you want to try this. But basically they remote to solenoids that you'd have to wire into the air conditioning controls without cooking anything. Generally the mustang guys use these for nitrous or brake locks for drag strips. I'm still a bit tempted to try nitrous since heat is now my biggest problem to solve..

giandanielxk8 (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
I could hook you up with him if you want to try this. But basically they remote to solenoids that you'd have to wire into the air conditioning controls without cooking anything. Generally the mustang guys use these for nitrous or brake locks for drag strips. I'm still a bit tempted to try nitrous since heat is now my biggest problem to solve..
I'm not looking to actually do this. It was just a thought.