XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Save your engine with HUD .Has alarms (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 748 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Save your engine with HUD .Has alarms (photos)

One of the problems with our cars is the inability to know if its overheating until its too late . The temp gauge is a "fake" gauge and will not warn you. I have been using a Scangauge which shows eng temp from the OBD but its hard to read and the backlights tend to fail..
So I found this a P10 heads up display which shows the engine temp and has an alarm you can set for overheating.
Now the price varies from $20 to $120 dependent on which con artist you buy it from so listen up. I paid about $30
There are three versions..A universal one that plugs into the cig lighter and uses GPS to give you speed but it will not give you all the good stuff (See video below) One that claims to be GPS and OBD but does not have GPS and the one you want which is for OBD and you can see a cable in the box.
The p10 reads all the trims/ fault codes /fuel etc see the video and for UK users you can set the speed reading to tell the truth ...all UK speedos read high ..if it says 70 MPH you are doing 67.
Tested that on my daughter's $100,000 Audi Etron and yes the speedo is about 3 mph out.
So study the photo and the video

Held on the supplied sticky pad ..cable in joint of trim. Will report the correct offset for the UK speedo when I checked it out but I think its going to be 112

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 10-19-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2022, 06:09 PM
Received 162 Likes on 92 Posts

So it is an ordinary display, and not head up display?

Old 10-19-2022, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by NorXKR
So it is an ordinary display, and not head up display?
Unless you believe the advertising.
(yes, regular led/LCD display, not heads up)
WJ

Old 10-19-2022, 08:09 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Does this issue affect the older F-Pace cars? The one I am looking to buy had the engine replaced due to overheating. At least that is what the dealer is telling me.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:44 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Paldi
Does this issue affect the older F-Pace cars? The one I am looking to buy had the engine replaced due to overheating. At least that is what the dealer is telling me.
Completely different car with completely different issues. You'll get more helpful answers in the actual F-Pace section of this forum.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

No it does not project onto the screen but do you want some large thing on top of the dash hump looking ugly and attracting theives? I did not find a true HUD that did the engine temp.
This does everything a $150 Scangauge does but you can read it and it has alarms. It fits in the corner unobtrusively and the wiring is easy to conceal. Does all the code reading and even the fuel trims..
Whats not to like at $30 and for UK owners puts the speedometer right.

Nice box but head up display is an exaggeration

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 10-20-2022 at 02:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TedV (10-20-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

HEADS UP MOD - I'm going to jump in here and describe what I once did with an LED indicator. Given the knowledge on this site, who knows we may get lucky and find an LCD expert who can help. Specific question at the end.

When I was younger, convertible Mustang pre-Jaguar days; speeding tickes were a real risk. Now, in a convertible, at speed, music blaring, like the OP said - sometimes you can't see a display fast enough.

Well I decided to fix that. Bought a remote radar detector. Antenna went in grill, single wire to thin display unit for cabin. Read about HUD, a new thing at the time in out fighter Jets, and I got thinking what if . . .

Now, the radar detector (rd) display was LEDs on an circuit board. It displayed a numeral based on signal strength.
Went to the library to study (yes pre www). I already knew lots about electricity, guess I just didn't realize something obvious - this numeric display was just a group of 7 red LEDS!

I could just rewire the input wires to the circuit board, causing the display to display a mirror image of the numeral, then when that'sprojected the reflection is normal orientation! So, I removed and extended the circuit board, a couple of hours and burned fingers later, job done!

I fastened the led board to the top of my dash, far enough forward that it didn't block anything. The windshield's reflection of the number was in perfect orientation. Frankly it really worked well - especially at night!

Thanks for sticking through the above set up. LCD experts: How hard would it be to get an LCD to invert an image and display it left to right instead of right to left, IOW a mirrored image?

I guess some take a long shot crazy part of me is hoping there's a port on the typical LCD controller chip to do so. If not, is there any other way?

With this, we could have beautiful HUD displays at our fingertips.
Thanks,

John

Last edited by Johnken; 10-22-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

You can buy what you are talking about but for $30 this does it all and alarms if I dont look at if often enough.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 772 Likes on 390 Posts

About 4 years ago BCP36 posted @ similar device. I bought one and set the audio alert to some 'safe" lower temp. Then stuck it into the sunglasses compartment. Since I had no way of knowing whether it was working or not it was not practical for me. I don't want any extra gadgets on the dash or pillar, but that is me.
I think the conversion to the 'RealGauge' is the best approach but more costly.
wj

Old 10-26-2022, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Having now run this unit on the road I can confirm that setting the speed adjust to 112 (default is 107) gives a correct reading on UK cars .
I also set the batt volts adjust to 103 to match the reading to the actual battery volts ( 14.2).
Changing the No 2 and 3 colour settings to the brightest green made the figures for Temp and Volts easier to read.