XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

SC XKR 4.2 with Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default SC XKR 4.2 with Exhaust Mods

Hey folks. Just trying to get familiar with this new to me XKR now that I'm going down the road... I would love to hear the experiences folks have had with modification to the stock exhaust.

The PO modified the exhaust system. CATS are custom. The long middle "muffler?" is there. No mid silencers/mufflers. No muffler/silencers/resonators in the rear. Pipes (looking like 2 inch although I haven't measured yet) go under the rear diff. Not to low, they haven't hit, yet! Seems ok as is BUT,,,,

One, the car is loud and two - and I'm hoping folks with modified exhausts can help me out here - because the 6hp26 is always searching and adjusting the gearing to make for a smooth and comfortable Jaguar ride, it seems that the exhaust note is all over the place, especially at slower speeds, in tune with the transmission and engine speed changes. Is that normal, or what I can/should I expect from this set up?

Old 06-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Received 366 Likes on 181 Posts

From what you describe, it will be noisy due to the deletion of 4 boxes and straight through under-axle routing.
At first, I was wondering if your car is stuck in Sport mode which would explain the revs, but not the low gear changes - especially with your 5-speed trans. Frankly, I think your car is normal set-up!

Old 06-25-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PKWise
From what you describe, it will be noisy due to the deletion of 4 boxes and straight through under-axle routing.
At first, I was wondering if your car is stuck in Sport mode which would explain the revs, but not the low gear changes - especially with your 5-speed trans. Frankly, I think your car is normal set-up!
Hey Man, Thanks...
In my earliest experience in driving this thing, I believe I notice a difference in the sport non sport drive. I don't think it's stuck but who knows, damn thing came out of a lake...

For now, better said - for me on NYC streets, lots of short starts and stops, non sport is better. I think this is probably the most powerful car I've ever driven. Different kind of speed than the 928... I would hate to BUMP into something Still haven't taken it on the highway - but will soon!

I was hoping folks with deleted bits and mod-ed exhaust might share there sound experience. Especially in lower gears. I was/am just wondering if I can get a better sense of what "normal" is with mods. Is the 6hp a 5 or 6 speed. 6 I thought...?

My Lady doesn't like loud cars (hates it actually) and if this is "normal", even though I like it, I may have to resort to getting a complete set up of the rear sections of pipes, silencers and mufflers off eBay and have them placed - or do it myself. We shall see.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:41 PM
Received 366 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm wrong, you have a 6 speed (standard for the 4.2).
This means the ratios are slightly closer together than the 5 speed and may mean a few more changes in slow traffic....

There are lots of vids on youtube with a similar sounding exhaust to yours. The Adamesh Stage 1 and 2 together is a 4-box delete and it has 2 inch piping....

Just thinking, did any of that Lake Water get in the transmission? It might be worth an oil change just to be sure.

Last edited by PKWise; 06-25-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PKWise
I'm wrong, you have a 6 speed (standard for the 4.2).
This means the ratios are slightly closer together than the 5 speed and may mean a few more changes in slow traffic....

There are lots of vids on youtube with a similar sounding exhaust to yours. The Adamesh Stage 1 and 2 together is a 4-box delete and it has 2 inch piping....
Seems it does offer more slow speed shifts. Especially when you're kinda forces to sometimes, when city driving, taking your foot off the gas, then on again, then off... I don't know if I like it, I hate to say. Usually, I would guess you couldn't hear the changes in engine speed, but with this exhaust set up the revs and engine sound can't be missed. Either that or I have a problem that needs digging into, which could very well be. I had the trans valve body apart not long ago. This car ain't been run in a while. We'll see I guess

Old 06-25-2021, 06:33 PM
Received 162 Likes on 92 Posts

Even though I have the 4.0 L with the MB 5 speed, I do understand what you are talking about.
Mine XKR has the Mina exhaust that is under axle and the two mid mufflers are deleted. Its not load and I do like the sound, but you hear every little change in RPM very well.
It is not just that the transmission are changing gears, but also the converter lock up clutch that are on - slipping - off - slipping - on - off - slipping............ Well you get it.
These cars are very quiet with the original exhaust, and you will hardly hear the changing rpm. But with an more open exhaust that is sometimes a little annoying.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,582 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Since you have a 2002 with the 4.0L engine, you have a 5spd transmission not a 6spd which came with the 4.2L (2003) models. The XKR came with a differnt Mercedes sourced transmission to handle the extra horsepower of the XKR.

Old 06-25-2021, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Since you have a 2002 with the 4.0L engine, you have a 5spd transmission not a 6spd which came with the 4.2L (2003) models. The XKR came with a differnt Mercedes sourced transmission to handle the extra horsepower of the XKR.
Sorry. Maybe I haven't put it in my info lines but this is a 2004 XKR Vert SC Portfolio...