XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Scratching my head! Suggestion please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 12:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Scratching my head! Suggestion please...

I would really appreciate your collective wisdom on this.

So, it's been a month since I got my 2000 XK8 convertible (52K miles). While I have fixed a couple of easy things (dead turn signal and top hydraulic fill up), I am left with some annoying things that really need to be corrected. I am certain that some of them are related and there may be a "voila" fix to several at the same time. Here goes:

1. Car came with one black key and one green key only. I bought correct vintage used fobs and inserted new batteries but cannot program them. While following the correct procedure (key in, flashing the headlights, etc.), the light by the shifter never blinks and there are no beeps, etc.
2. When locking the car, there are no beeps or any evidence that the security system is doing anything.
3. Trunk lights don't work.
4. Car is stuck in valet mode. Have to use the key to open the trunk. The valet mode warning only shows when I try to operate the trunk (not while driving). Using the black key in the door or trunk does not clear it.
5. Brake lights stick on unless I flip the pedal up. (I think that's the pedal microswitch, which I can deal with - adjust or replace.)
6. Cruise control does not work. Possibly linked to brake lights issue. [UPDATE: JUST BEEN FOR A DRIVE. CRUISE DOES WORK IF I WIGGLE THE BRAKE PEDAL. THAT NARROWS THAT DOWN.]
7. Passenger side (USA, LHD) low tone horn does not work. With just the high tone the car sounds wimpy! (Arre there better compatible horns you would recommend? I want "watch out" not "sorry, excuse me")
8. Gas gauge sticks at 1/2 on the way down. (I think this is the float - I can deal with that.)
9. I really should have another black key to avoid disaster. Should I eat the cost of Jaguar dealer, or do the blanks off eBay work? If so, how difficult is it to find an independent locksmith that can cut and program one?
[10. UPDATE: AUTO-HEADLIGHTS DON'T WORK. DASHLIGHTS COME ON BUT NOT THE HEADLIGHTS]

Am bracing my wallet for tensioner investigation and front shock donut replacement (with the PU ones).
My theory is that Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electrics are at work here, so that many may be all be related.

Thoughts please. What would you do?

Thanks in advance. I bought this car in memory of my brother who left me an unexpected modest inheritance. And it's turning out to be just like him. Really, really annoying, but utterly charming and ultimately forgivable. I would love to restore it to perfect condition, if not improved, but otherwise stock.

Last edited by XK8FAN; 08-30-2024 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 02:07 PM
Received 8,208 Likes on 4,950 Posts

The car will NOT accept FOB configuration while in VALET MODE.
You need to replace the BOOT LID MICROSWITCH or fix the wiring at the lid hinge?
The boot lights need to come on or BOOT/TRUNK OPEN in the INSTPK display.

There is no Lucas wiring or electronics in a Ford owned car.

A low tone horn can be sourced from another X100 or X308 sedan. (they use the same horns)

Old 08-30-2024, 04:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The car will NOT accept FOB configuration while in VALET MODE.
You need to replace the BOOT LID MICROSWITCH or fix the wiring at the lid hinge?
The boot lights need to come on or BOOT/TRUNK OPEN in the INSTPK display.

There is no Lucas wiring or electronics in a Ford owned car.

A low tone horn can be sourced from another X100 or X308 sedan. (they use the same horns)
Thank you. I could have sworn I saw Lucas on something the other day (maybe a pic on here of a different model?) Looks like I have two microswitches to replace and some wiring checks. Do you think that would cure the stuck valet mode too?

Old 08-30-2024, 05:41 PM
Received 8,208 Likes on 4,950 Posts

The ONLY way to cancel VALET MODE is for the car to recognize that the boot lid is OPEN.(faulty switch and it will never cancel)

You can pull the plastic trim covering the latch assy and put a 'shorting' wire across the connector to simulate BOOT LID OPEN and cancel the Valet Mode.

The following users liked this post:
Dr. D (Yesterday)
Old 08-30-2024, 05:46 PM
Received 4,317 Likes on 3,731 Posts

as for having keys made - check this link from the Forum Marketplace: forum member @Sone can get you the number of keys you need, just follow the instructions he provides in this post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/227433

The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
motorcarman (08-30-2024), XK8FAN (08-30-2024)
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
Received 308 Likes on 230 Posts

You can also convert the valet key to a normal key by filing the end slighly, as per: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-140640/

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 453 Posts

If the above 2 suggestions don't work out for you talk to George at http://www.carlocksandkeys.com. I've ordered 2 keys from him on separate occasions and both work great. I don't know if you need it but here's a link on how to decode your key configuration for getting someone to cut one for you. https://www.carlocksandkeys.com/blog...ibbe-key-code/

Last edited by ozbot; Yesterday at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XK8FAN (Yesterday)