Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SDD/IDS Expertise requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts
Default SDD/IDS Expertise requested

Both my remote fobs have stopped working. I have substituted an identical SLM (Security Locking Module) to the original but that makes no difference (identical VCATS number and suffix)

I have SDD/IDS. System defaults to legacy IDS as it is a 1997 car.
No DTCs
Go to "Vehicle Configuration" - "Security" - "Program new keyfob transmitters" - "2" ..............

"Establishing communications with SLM.
Communications failure with SLM - so - click on the "tick box"
Fault report - "Run the network integrity test".
Click on the blue tick.
Screen returns to "Configuration Main Menu".

So ............... how do I run the "Network Integrity test" and see the results ?
I have looked at pretty much every menu there is, and I can't find it anywhere !!

All help (as always) gratefully appreciated.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,052 Posts

If you have some doubt about the integrity of any one of the networks, you might have to debug them separately. IDS is sort of based on the ability to have control modules run diagnostics and let you know about it. Without a functioning bus, nothing like that can happen. The reality is certainly more complex: there are at least 3 different buses (with bridges in the instrument cluster). You might want to look around on jagrepair.com for a basic bus debugging methodology, I seem to remember reading about this. IDS/SDD might also have some help files about this, too. From memory, the SLM is on the SCP bus. Check if other modules on the same bus do work.

You can also try and work backwards. Did the remotes stop working after some work, or an unusual event? A harness in that neighborhood could have been somehow compromised. Maybe start by unplugging the SLM, and see if IDS is able to do some work. Also check the antenna connection somewhere by the rear window. Repeat the test with the fobs operating near the rear window.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks fmertz.
Have already done some of that. I haven't had any work done, or done any work myself, that might explain why the remote fobs no longer work.
What I don't understand, and was hoping someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help with, is that IDS says "Run the Network Integrity Test" with a "tick box" but when the "tick box" is clicked, it just reverts back to the Main Configuration menu.
I'm assuming there must be either a "test result" file, or another menu or something that I seem to be missing. Everything else seems to be OK - I can lock the car with the keys, it starts and runs, roof goes up and down etc., BUT - neither of the remote fobs work - not just on the lock/unlock, but also on the headlamp and trunk functions.
I have substituted a "known good" SLM and that makes no difference.

I think the next job will be to try and trace the two wires on the SCP bus all the way through the car to see if I can find any loose connections or other damage.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Just to be sure, have you tested the trunk release and the fuel filler flap release? They seem to more directly involve just the SCM.

Trying to determine if the SCM is even powered...

Follow-on action is to go to the module and check the antenna connection. It is supposedly a separate coax-type connection. Possibly even find a stand-alone replacement antenna (just to test).

Old 05-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 8,078 Likes on 4,873 Posts

I'll bet that some info was lost when Jaguar included Legacy IDS with SDD.
If you had PDU or WDS it would likely perform the Network Integrity Test.

When WDS was first introduced in the late 1990s, the WDS would ALWAYS ask. "Do you wish to perform a network integrity test?" (YES/NO) right after the VIN was entered.

A year or two later, the software versions stopped automatically asking. You could perform the test but you would have to find it in the menu and manually initiate.

I don't remember using it very often and IF it is included in the IDS software.

bob

Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Bob - You may well be correct. That option isn't an option on my kit. There's no codes and/or obvious ways of narrowing things down a bit.

fmertz - everything works EXCEPT the remote fobs. I have removed the SLM and cleaned and checked the connectors. I haven't tried to substitute another antenna only because with my IDS software connected, I get a "communications failure with SLM" message which must mean that the problem is either with the wiring, or with one of the 'modules' on the SCP network.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

I can remember seeing somewhere that some SDD versions & Mongoose as interface don't offer communication to all modules, but can't remember by head. Ideally use an older version 118 which was a pure IDS, but then you also need the VCM interface.

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

You've tested it with a "known good" SLM, but have you tested it with a known good key fob or tested one of your non-working key fobs on someone else's car?

I can't help with the software you are using, but is there someone nearby with an XK8 willing to let you plug it in to their car to see if you get the same result, so you can eliminate either the software or the car?

This topic does seem to come up from time to time, so hopefully you will be the first to resolve it and post back what you actually did to fix it, although faulty aerials seem to be a common theme.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't you need to program the SCLM to the car ?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

The SLM is a programmable module, but as long as the VCATS numbers - including the suffix - are identical - it is "plug and play". (For example - the coupe and convertible are different as the SLM has some control over the folding roof).

I can get into the menu to change various "features" of the car, some of which are stored in the SLM, but there is some sort of communications problem in the SCP network.

What I'm finding frustrating is that IDS (my car is too early for SDD) does not seem to have a way of checking the network integrity, and narrowing down the possible cause.

I suspect I'm just going to have to go through every wire on the SCP network until I can track down the fault.

I just don't think two keyfobs would both stop working - on all four function buttons - with new batteries in both - at exactly the same time UNLESS the car had lost it's programming to the keys. But - I have tried to reprogramme the fobs manually, and that doesn't work, and if I use IDS (which has the option to perform that function) - I get "communication failure with SLM".

If it's not the SLM itself - then I guess it MUST be a wiring fault.

Interestingly, I found one of the tutorials which I think Bob (Motorcarman) put up here which states that an issue with the SCP network can be identified if the "global open" doesn't work when using the key to manually unlock the drivers door (the windows should drop and the roof should fold down).
So - "global open" doesn't work, which reinforces the belief that it's the network, not the fobs.

Just where to start looking that's frustrating me !!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
I
have tried to reprogramme the fobs manually, and that doesn't work
BPM messages SLCM to 'arm' for fob programming so you're on the right path.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks michaelh - it's irritating rather than serious, in so far as I can use and drive the car normally. I have to lock and unlock it with the key, and once unlocked, I have to insert the key into the ignition barrel before the alarm goes off.
But - apart from that, and the fact that I can't use my 'jagwrangler' remote control roof, it's a bit of a "first-world problem".

I *still* think I'm missing something on IDS and when I get some time, I'll have another look at all the various menu options in case there's one I didn't see.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member

The mystery is, that if the trunk release and fuel filler release buttons both work on the dashboard, then its not a communications error between the BPM and the SLM. Similarly if the door handles work to lock and unlock the car, its not a communications error between the door control modules and the SLM. To me this suggests there isn't a wiring problem on the SCP bus - it either works or it doesn't.

I still think you need to connect your IDS system up to a working car to confirm what you are seeing is correct or not.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

dibbit.
Yes - agreed - it doesn't "add up" logically.

But - this is from the Multiplex Systems Training Manual :

SCP Network Communications Functional Check
The following procedure confirms that data message communication is possible between all of the control modules
connected to the SCP bus without using WDS.
– With the doors and windows closed, lock the vehicle using the key.
– Using the key, unlock the vehicle and hold the key in the unlocked position (global open).
XK8: If both doors unlock, all windows open, and if equipped, the convertible top opens, data messages were
communicated between the DDCM, PDCM, BPM and SLCM.

Well - it doesn't do that, so - there's a problem with the network. It can't be the door microswitch, because I can do the "global open" with the key PROVIDING the car is already unlocked.

Agreed - doesn't make sense, but that's true of quite a lot of the electronics in these cars !!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Maybe the manual doesn't refer to your exact as built car.

Modules get moved around and messages changed.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm watching this with keen interest!

I bought my 2003 Coupe 3 years ago with the key fobs not working...but hey! I'm a resourceful chap....I thought...I'll figure it all out! Hahaha...not on your Nelly!

So, as yourself David...I have three fobs (one brand spanking new from a local Jag Dealer) and I cannot get them to work or programme. No bleeps, chirps, flashing lights...nada!

I checked everything I could possibly get at including the SLM in the boot and the aerial...and still nothing. I recently started my own thread about this very conundrum to which you kindly contributed...but I see that the same issue has now befallen yourself unfortunately.

I have just taken delivery of a laptop pre-programmed with IDS 131 and SSD 138 and cable directly from Mongoose and was going to attempt exactly what you have been trying to do (amongst other things). Possibly over the next few days I will try to get to grips with it and maybe, somehow, between us...we can figure this out!

I'll PM you once I get started...and that way we can perhaps keep each other posted on out progress...or lack of it!!!

Best of luck and don't give up! There is an answer to this!

Kind regards

Andrew

Last edited by andyzeg; 05-10-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Well - it doesn't do that, so - there's a problem with the network. It can't be the door microswitch, because I can do the "global open" with the key PROVIDING the car is already unlocked.
If it is doing that consistently to me that proves there isn't a wiring problem on the SCP bus, unless it is intermittent exactly at the same time as the car is locked and unlocked. Something else is interfering with the operation - a module when locked that is shorting the bus or one of the modules/microswitches not reporting the locked status correctly.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

JagV8.
Maybe, but it USED to do the "global open" and now it doesn't. If I unlock the car (with the key), open the door, put the key in the ignition barrel (before the alarm sounds) then everything is normal - the boot and fuel buttons work, and there are no other issues. If I then put the key in the door lock and hold it against the open position, I get the "global open" sequence with no problems. So - all the evidence points to a problem with the SCP network.
Andrew - I suspect that you have access to SDD which I don't as my car is too old - it defaults to "legacy IDS" which is a bit clunkier. But - I would still be very interested in knowing how you get on. I still think it is probably a slightly corroded connector somewhere on the SCP network. I had lots of problems with the CAN on my car which turned out to be a problem with one of the multi-plugs into the instrument pack (dashboard) so I have some previous pain of a similar issue.

The following users liked this post:
andyzeg (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

dibbit.

Yes - maybe - not sure !!!!

For example - I know that after (I think) about 28 days, the car decides that nobody loves it, and totally shuts down. The remotes cease to function, and the car MUST be unlocked with a key before it will come back to life.
So - I guess it is possible that whatever bit of an EPROM somewhere in one of the modules has thrown it's toys out of the Jaguar pram and decided not to wake up.

Don't know.

I think that one of the problems with these cars - particularly the early ones - is that Jaguar introduced three highly sophisticated multiplexed data systems into a car before it was fully understood just how difficult to might be to diagnose problems 20 years down the line when everything, including the driver, started to get old and frail !!

The following 2 users liked this post by DevonDavid:
andyzeg (05-10-2018), motorcarman (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

The shut down is to save the battery (the S-Type also does it).

Some of the workshop (etc) manuals include how to diagnose SCP signals.
(It's a robust low-speed system.)

(CAN also, of course.)

I doubt it's an E(E)PROM issue.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-10-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: SDD/IDS Expertise requested