XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Seafrost XKR 2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Alag;

Glad you had a good time in Spain....do you have a good rental agency down there for something on the beach?

Thanks for the tire info.

How are the Dunlops in the rain?

In the past I have not been that impressed with them in the wet but perhaps they are better now they are owned by Goodyear and Sumitomo....

Just put the word tires, MPG, or electrical problems in your posts to get past the forum police. Ha!

Frog:

We drove to Lyon yesterday for the Fete Noel and got better than the 24mpg that I did from London to Geneva a couple of weeks ago.

Imagine it will be a bit lower with the top down.

Have to drive slower with the Italian Super Model wife in the car even though a guy from Monaco went past us at about 185kph/115mph in a Cayenne...(Was that you Jochem?) to which she said "you don't have to catch him you know." Not a very Italian attitude.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-11-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry Frog if I gave the impression that I was driving to Spain I took the easy route and flew to Alicante would have loved to have driven but time too short.Perhaps next year.What would you think is reasonable to expect regarding MPG on along run like that?
regards AL

Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 AM

Hi jj I really havn't tried the tires in the pouring rain. what take it out and get it wet!! I have a place down there about a mile from the beach but with beautiful views nice place to chill.Your MPG sounds OK with a bit less welly it could be improved on, it's pleasure or pain.My mother is from Florence so I have special memories of Italy.How she left there to come to the UK I don't know.
Cheers Al

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 AM

Hey Al;

I am sure I could get nearly 30 mpg if I kept it just under the 130kph, say 120kph/75mph.....but really what is the point of having a Magnificent Cat if you don't let it out of the bag as often as possible?

Your place in Spain sounds nice and hanging out around Florence is always a pleasure....let me know next time you are heading down that way and we can organize something. Was your mother a War Bride, perhaps?

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-11-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Hi JJ We can't complain at 30MPG can we, still a good place to sit and enjoy the ambience with loads of fun when let out of the bag.Bit pissed off today might have been zapped with a radar gun last night two cops in the dark behind some trees must be Christmas!Went to visit my daughter afterwards bit tight where I parked so someone keyed the rear wing pleasures of England.Have left a message with Chipsaway have you or anyone else had any experience of what sort of repair they make?
Down in the mouth Al
Sorry got carried away. My mother was a war bride must have been swept off her feet and in love she was dad's "model Italian wife" they certainly now how to build them.

Last edited by Alag; 12-11-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 AM

Al;

Oh no the @@@###^$^$^%*'S KEYING YOUR CAR IS A HANGING OFFENSE!!
Especially the beautiful SeaFrost or Frosty for short.

I gather you haven't had it all that long....I am bummed for you mate.

I doubt if I will ever see 30mpg.

Speaking of sneaky cops I saw a team of them with a radar gun shooting from one of the petrol stops off of the Autoroute yesterday....I happened to be going under the speed limit at that point but that is the first time I have ever seen that.

The weather was great yesterday so they were out all over the place....in fact I saw more in one day than I have in the previous five years of driving over here.

I haven't used Chipsaway. If you have the insurance I would take it to the best paint shop you can find....matching paint correctly is an art form...and the always troubling part is the fade rates are different afterwards....so get the best.

No point in having insurance if you never make a claim on it....if they raise your rates change companies.

Let me buy you a pint over that one.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAG
Sorry Frog if I gave the impression that I was driving to Spain I took the easy route and flew to Alicante would have loved to have driven but time too short.Perhaps next year.What would you think is reasonable to expect regarding MPG on along run like that?
regards AL
Well, the most I have ever managed to eek out of mine on a long steady cruise was about 29.8 mpg (frustratingly close to 30, but I just couldn't do it). On a 'normal' long run, I'd say 25-26 is closer to the mark.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 AM

HI FROG Not bad if you can get 26+ You needed a following wind and a downhill run and you would have made 30.
Cheers Al

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Hi JJ Thanks for the shoulder. I will get a quote from a good body shop with the insurance excess I might just shell out and not claim. I will see what they say I certainly don't want to see it for evermore after its been painted.
Will need that drink in fact a bottle of red needs popping now.Al

Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Al;

Let us know how it works out on the estimate and repair....

Now is your chance to add those flames down the sides you have been wanting.

Redirect Notice

Do it your self and save:

airbrush flames made easy

I'll even buy you the book if you will commit to doing it.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
Al;

Let us know how it works out on the estimate and repair....

Now is your chance to add those flames down the sides you have been wanting.

Redirect Notice

Do it your self and save:

airbrush flames made easy

I'll even buy you the book if you will commit to doing it.

cheers,

jj
You realize that there is a special place in Hell for people who do this kind of stuff to Jaguars. There may even be consequences for suggesting it, even in jest!

Mark

Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 510 Likes on 365 Posts

One of the first XK8s I went to look at was in that colour. I really liked it, but it didn't have enough toys, so I ended up getting a red XKR.

BTW XKR is a fantastic car to do the long run south from Santander to the med in a day.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 AM

MJ;

You know your XKR would look pretty good with Flames coming out of the vents...

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Hi mark thanks.I put up a notice on pole and where the sick act happened."To the little **** that keyed my car I wish you the worst Christmas ever".I think it helped me a little.

Hi JJ Do you think red or orange flames? I thought the orange would look nice with the matching marker lights. When I paint the calipers red it will look stunning and very desirable.Do you think the Insurance will pay for "The Look"
Thanks Al

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM

You don't see many XK8/XKR in Spain do you? Bet your red looks great in the sun is it a coupe or open top?
Al

Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
MJ;

You know your XKR would look pretty good with Flames coming out of the vents...

jj

Mark

Old 12-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Al;

Why not both?

You could do orange on the right and red on the left.

Um are we on the same page....what red XKR are you referring to?

Not that I wouldn't mind cruising in one in Spain if you are offering.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Hi JJ The red XKR is Dibbits a few replies up.Must be the stress putting my replies out of sequence.You think orange/red um might be a bit too much.Chips away phoned today he is coming to look at it tomorrow.He reckons he has had eleven years experience and will discuss with me when he has seen the damage, I told him it needs to be perfect so we will see.
Cheers Al

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 AM

Um Al.....you might want to get that checked....Dibbits car looks Silver to the rest of us and on a bad day slightly lavender but definitely not red....but nice sentiment.

No it won't be too much to have different colors on opposite sides....after all you can only see one side at a time.

Good luck with the paint guy....hope that doesn't mean he is going to work on it in your driveway.

Don't forget to ask him about adding the flames.....

cheers,

jj

Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Hi JJ Dibbits photo is silver but the text says red XKR.Chipsaway has just been seemed a nice guy but going to a body shop now for second opinion.Will let you know.
Come on Dibbit tell us what colour you really are.
Al

Quick Reply: Seafrost XKR 2002