XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafrost XKR 2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The latest on the "Keying" of my rear panel.Chipsaway called to look and quoted £240 to spray and blend in but not the whole panel.I then went to a body shop that as it happens specialize in Classic Jags "Brookfied Classics" they had numerous E types and Xk150s being restored good for the soul to look at.Quoted £540 but spraying whole of the panel and blending into part of the door and spraying the door mirror which has some stone chips.Feel much better that they will do a proper job although a more expensive quote.So should be restored to it's former beauty in time for Christmas. Very annoyed that some vandal has cost me so much money that could have been spent on the car in other ways.
Al

Old 12-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I like red on cars...if I had an E-Type it would be red for sure....

cheers,

jj

Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAG
You don't see many XK8/XKR in Spain do you? Bet your red looks great in the sun is it a coupe or open top?
Al
There are a few of them around, but not many. I traded my red XKR Coupe in a while ago as a birthday present for myself and now have a silver XKR convertible. There are very few speed cameras around here and only one set of traffic lights, plus the forecast today is 19`C and sunny, so a convertible XKR is pretty much perfect.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 AM

Al;

Glad you found a good shop.

Suggest you pay to do the whole of the door panel....the partial spray was done on one of the the MINI's doors before I bought it and it has never looked right...and again as I say they always fade at a different rate no matter how close they start out.

Sorry mate but in a couple of years you are going to notice that and be ticked off every time.

Dibbit;

Will trade you French Alp time for Spanish Sun time if you want to do some skiing this winter.

The Italian Super Model Wife wants to get to a sunny coast sometime this winter.

You can drive my XKR, weather permitting.

There are only a couple of XK's in the Geneva area....part of the attraction for buying one....but of course the first day I drove it to the gym was the first time I saw a black on black early XK parked there too....go figure.

Al don't feel left out I will trade you in the summer.....

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-14-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:20 AM

Hi dibbit thanks for sorting your colour out I now know it's silver So jj and I are at peace.I have just returned from Moraira as you say the weather is beautiful we where on our sun beds around the pool.A convertible is ideal out there, no speed cameras and free parking can't be bad.
Cheers Al

Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Hi jj thanks for the advice perhaps on thinking about it the guy noticed that the door lock was slightley lighter so he is doing the top of the door would you notice if it finished at the rubbing strip? The actual damage is by the filler cap to the rear light.I get the impression that they like perfection so will double check with them anyway.I coudn't see that the lock was lighter and I used to grade Diamonds for colour!
You must treat the "super model wife" to some sun but you might need to go a bit further than Spain.
Cheers Al
Glad dibbit sorted us out!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Al;

The door strip is a good line to break the color on...visually it is tough to notice color difference above and below the side strips.

Sounds like you have the right guys for the job.

Odd mine doesn't have those at all ....wonder if someone modified it or that was an option to delete them....looks great that way but I do park in the far corners of parking lots.

The Italian Super Model Wife did love Sharm el Shek a couple of years ago, we seem to get to Sicily twice a year, but I thought either Spain, the Canaries or Crete this winter if we don't just finally go for the Safari in Kenya in Feb. to see all the babies being born.

The downside to living in the Alps is that you are in the clouds in the winter...sometimes we drive even higher on the week ends just to see the sun.

Hey ever come across any diamonds close to the color of your car?

Funny I was just trying to find some diamond triangle shaped single stone earrings for the I.S.M.W. on line this morning...saw them once but have not been able to find any since.

So you used to hang out in Israel or Antwerp?

Don't tell me Rhodesia/Zimbabwe you can't be that old driving an XKR.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-14-2011, 09:06 AM

Hi jj sounds that you get about alot and have a good life.You can get green diamonds they are termed "Fancy" colours I can probably help you with the earrings but how could we get them to you in time for Christmas?would need to know size and what quality,white gold or platinum not pushing leave it to you but would be good value to a fellow XKR.Sounds that the spraying shop knows what they are upto.I had a shop in Coventry but sold out to my Partner we have some good contacts for diamonds they are the shops specialality.
Thanks for all your advice
Al

Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Hey Al;

Glad you have a good spray shop, wish I could find one over here.

I really feel for you buddy.

One time some 'mates' glued a huge bat wing and air scoop on my new '86 black 190-16 Valve Mercedes, the fastest sedan in the US at the time, 141mph, it was kinda funny but the glue ruined the paint front and back....insurance covered it but it never really matched after that....

Thanks we can works something out on the diamonds.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 12-14-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Indeed you are!
We do have an off topic section if you want to chatter.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Now Sherriff Norri...we weren't speeding and we did talk about the car in every post.....but point taken.

cheers,

jj