XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Seat module repair. Do this before anything else!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:43 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I read this thread and called Darrel Turner this afternoon - he returned my call within minutes, and reassured me he is indeed still doing this repair and is happy to help. He was very pleasant and professional.
Darrell Turner 1-858-649-9090
darrell@darrellturner.net
Here in 2019 his rack rate is $200 for a repair, so don’t expect the $50 he used to charge years ago when he was first getting started.

Ive pulled this module once before when I had some water get in the car and I think condensation affected the board - my passenger seat had magically moved itself all the way forward, and the seat back had flipped fully forward so it was resting on the dash - it did this by itself in the middle of the night. I cleaned up the edges of the board where it seemed there was some corrosion, and it all worked fine for a couple of years. New problem is seat back will recline but not move forward, so it’s now in full recline which makes it uncomfortable to sit in. I think the board needs more help than I can give it, and Darrell has the skill set.

Cheers, y’all.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (06-26-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ip210
Recently purchased a 2003 XK8 Convertible.... passenger power seat and both heated seats did not function. I swapped the Passenger seat module with the driver's side.... and the failure followed the module... After much researching here on this very helpful forum.... I decided to tackle this myself... Initially I opened up the module and thought it looked ok.... However a much closer inspection under magnification revealed 2-3 broken traces on the PC board.... in the area all the others here have experienced... and yes they were VERY small breaks... barely noticeable....

Instead of trying to repair the broken traces... I soldered a jumper wire over the traces.... and it worked!!!!.....

Here are pics of my successful repair.... two small pieces of wire and a bit of solder and all of 15 minutes....(be sure to scrape away the PC board coating to get down to the copper ...and a touch of flux is good too).

Conclusion -- the passenger seat functions are all correct. fore/aft, etc, etc. PLUS -- both Passenger and Drivers heated seats function!!!!
My driver side seat would not come back from the recline position, and upon examining the PCB I had the exact trace in the 1st picture, broken in several places as well. I also opted to solder in a jumper wire instead of trying to patch the individual breaks, and seat works perfectly now! I cleaned and looked long and hard over the entire PCB and only found one other trace I thought looked questionable; however, my multi-meter confirmed it was good so I left it alone.

If you're thinking of doing this repair...ISO alcohol to clean the PCB, an exacto knife ( to scrape the coating off the traces ), and a magnifying glass or glasses are mandatory. Also suggest an alligator clip to hold the wire down when soldering the wire in place and flat on the PCB. And of course, a small gauge jacketed wire of maybe 3-4 inches.

If you're not somewhat experienced with electronics & PCB soldering, don't have a GOOD soldering iron with a fine tip, and a steady hand...I would suggest having someone else repair it. This would NOT be a good "introduction to electronics soldering " project.

The following 2 users liked this post by dbtk44:
mbates50 (08-02-2019), taylods (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Thousand Oaks, also own a new Triumph Bonneville 1200, my 2003 XK8 convertible is in for a new top, seat covers being replaced, console and visors recovered.
Thanks for letting me know there is someone who doesn't automatically order factory parts from Jaguar for each repair.

The following users liked this post:
mbates50 (08-02-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Darrell repaired mine with a 3 day turn-around plus shipping. Much better than searching for a JY replacement.

Has he expanded beyond seat modules?
Stealing a ride on a thread, I spoke with Mr Turner Thursday (11/7/19) about my two 'in need of repair seat modules' and we had an entertaining chat. I told him I would email him some Navy photos and photos of my seat modules. I think during our pleasantly long conversation I wrote down his email address incorrectly because I've heard nothing back from him yet. I believe Darrel had told me his email address was dario2rnr@xxxxxxxxxx. I've left off the @ portion in his address which I know was correct. Anyone know if I got the first part right? I'd rather not pester him on the phone for what was likely an error on my side. Any help?

Old 11-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The email I used is darrell@darrellturner.net

Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=CatLovr;2089131]I read this thread and called Darrel Turner this afternoon - he returned my call within minutes, and reassured me he is indeed still doing this repair and is happy to help. He was very pleasant and professional.
Darrell Turner 1-858-649-9090
darrell@darrellturner.net
Here in 2019 his rack rate is $200 for a repair, so don’t expect the $50 he used to charge years ago when he was first getting started.

Here's an update for 2020. I spoke with him today and will be sending in my module tomorrow. His current rate is $125, plus $25 for return shipping and handling.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

My seat module case was broken, and internally maybe other problems. I texted DT for info and was told he did not have cases available, but would exchange out a 'Fixed' module for the above prices. DId not talk with him, but he(and his wife??) sounded very professional. Waiting for the return module to replace questionable one from eBay. Maybe a problem in by switches.
There is a bracket that the module attaches to that can be removed(a la Graham's pix). Module screws bolt up into the bracket. I found it easiest to tilt seat, unbolt the bracket, bolt on the module and re bolt bracket.
I have my unit turned with wires facing to the front. Sometimes get Drv.. air bag inop caution light on dash. Maybe this position is the cause????

Old 07-28-2023, 12:11 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I contacted Darrell and unfortunately he is no longer performing the service.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:09 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by White Out
I contacted Darrell and unfortunately he is no longer performing the service.
Thanks for the update. Did he happen to mention if he was aware of anyone else?