XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat recline (passenger) problem / diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default seat recline (passenger) problem / diagnostics

i have a 2001 xkr , passenger seat will not recline but all other functions work. there is NO clicking sound when i press the recline button, whereas there is a clicking sound when i press upright - though there is no movement because it is as far straight as it can be. i have read that the possibilities are seat module, wire chafing or seat switch. One very kid gentleman on the forum (george of rmexoticautos offered to solder a seat module if that was the problem (they seem to cost $400 on ebay now) . The only other thing i know is that the local car mechanic didn't want to remove the module but did apply external power & was able to recline the seat that way.

So in short, external power effective, no clicking sound in that direction only, other directional movement works. If i could point to a specific probable cause it would be immensely useful.
TY.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Charles,

You have identified the possible causes of failure.

I can't understand why your mechanic won't remove (disconnect?) the Seat Module. It is a programmable module but doesn't lose programming if disconnected. If he doesn't have dealer level diagnostics, the alternative way to test a Seat Module is to temporarily switch them over from passenger to driver side.

Depending on how and where he applied external power should help identify a wiring or switch fault.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

A very warm welcome to this very friendly forum Charles.

At the base of the seat on the inboard side at the back, there is a tiny switch which can sometimes become misaligned.

The easiest way to tackle this, having first tried what Graham suggests, is to remove the seat. 4 bolts and out she comes. you will then be able to check everything quite easily.

The module cover will come if you are careful. If the tracks are damaged it will generally be the leading edge. This can be repaired by soldering a bridging wire.

When you have the seat out check and clean the connectors and also look at the wiring harness for signs of chafing.

Hopefully this will give you a start in tracking it down.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM

TY for such immediate response at ridiculous hours of night!

Car is in shop now for MAF replacement i just bought on ebay ($200 new oem vs the $450 i was quoted), ill ask them how external power was applied & repost. I suspect, GGG, that the mechanic, who really is very helpful but doesn't specialize in jags, may not have wished to touch electronics - im sure hell be assured when i repeat what you wrote. Also, the path of least resistance, so powering externally & reclining the seat took a few seconds. I doubt i could have kept the car this long without his economical assistance, nor i might add, without the great advice posted here on various issues. I couldn't afford to go to local main dealer. When the fuel valves had to be replaced they quoted $3400!

[also, GGG i seem to be as illiterate in tech as in cars, the user cp reveals only two options private messages / subscribed threads. No place for edit or whatever. Im using chrome. ]

TX!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by charles glass
.......... the user cp reveals only two options private messages / subscribed threads. No place for edit or whatever. Im using chrome.....
Charles,

Other members have mentioned Chrome can produce an unusual view of the forum. If you click on the User CP button (arrowed in red in the following screen shot), it should open the 'Your Control Panel' (I've boxed this in red in this screen shot):

seat recline (passenger) problem / diagnostics-charles.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

As this may not be displaying correctly in your browser, I've edited your Signature to add vehicle details. This should now appear automatically with your next post.

Graham

Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Graham ty. this will be my first signature

my update on the seat is a bit of a wimp out.
the mechanic tells me he disconnected the wiring to the seat, & that one wire powers 'recline' another the 'incline'. So he was able to recline the seat to an acceptable level, then disconnected both wires so that the seat adjuster would work save for the incline or recline functions. This doesn't really matter in an xkr. The problem could be in any of the wiring the seat or the module, so best left for time being.

i read somewhere else on the site that manual adjustments to a car seat cant be made on an xkr, so perhaps here is a partial solution.

TX!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know have same problem on my 2002 XK8 with seat now in full up right position and and of course so foreward, not usuable. will look for this small switch inboard on passenger side as member states earlier in this stream.

Bill Woods

Old 09-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I had the same problem with my passenger seat in my 97 XK8. It is easy to pinpoint the module if thats the problem. Remove the module from the drivers seat and plug it in. if the functions restore your module needs repair. If it doesnt change there are numerous threads on adjusting the potentiometers for the seats.