XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Seat slide motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Seat slide motor problem

Driver's seat jammed when trying to slide it back after my wife borrowed the car and moved the seat up so she could drive it (I know, big mistake to let wife drive Jaguar). Anyway, right side of seat moves but left side does not and so seat is trying to swivel to side and quickly jams/stops moving. Tried forward and back a few times, sat in seat and pushed back to help it but nothing worked. Couldn't get to bolts to remove seat because bolts are covered by track and seat won't move.
Frustrated and not thinking, I managed to undo all the very hard to get to Torx T-40 screws (8) that hold the seat and back to the track only to find there are 2 seat cushion nuts that are easy to get to from under the front of the seat. With the seat cushion lifted up, I could see the shaft out of the motor goes straight to the little screw box on the right (side that works) but the shaft on the left was about 15-20 degrees pointed towards the back of the seat on the left, i.e. not straight towards the screw box. Left shaft from motor has a plastic cover around it - this plastic has cracks in it and is splitting.
If I straighten the position of the motor, aligning it with the screw box, and hold it steady and press the switch, left track now works.
It is not clear to me what really holds the motor in place.
Reading other posts makes me think the little screw drive gear box has a problem but not completely sure.
So what should I do to fix this?
Thank you,
John

Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

John,

89 Views so far but no Replies. I suspect that means I'm not alone in never having removed the track motor!

JTIS isn't too helpful and of course assumes the seat is out of the vehicle. However, the top diagram may help you identify the Track Motor retaining bolts.

Seat slide motor problem-xk8-drivers-seat-removal.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

This diagram of the underside of the driver's seat may also help make sense of the layout from the limited view you will be getting with the seat jammed in the vehicle.

Seat slide motor problem-xk8-drivers-seat.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Graham

Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM

Graham,
Apologies for the delay in responding but I have been traveling. I, too, thought it ominous to have so many views but no responses. I was hoping to avoid taking it apart with no solution already in hand but no such luck this time.
Thank you for the pictures.
John

Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM

This weekend I got it apart and discovered the problem. There are some little cables, one on each side, that connect the motor to the gearbox that drives the screw that advances the seat on the track. The motor was not well aligned with the gearbox on one side so the cable has to flex somewhat as it is turning. It has flexed over time and has now broken in half.
The cable is like a short springy wound wire speedometer cable; 0.147 in (3.73 mm) diameter, 3.36 inches (85.4 mm) long with a square portion on each end 0.124 in or 3.12 mm across flats extending 0.75 inch (20 mm) into the cable at one end and 1.1/2 inches (40 mm) on the other end.
As a temporary measure, I have removed the gearbox on one side.

Can someone tell me if this cable has a Jaguar Part Number, please?
Or even better would be a Ford Part Number if a common part?
Thank you,
John

Last edited by jsulliva; 05-14-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not the answer the last question but can give a general hint:

At our XKR the electric cabels underneath the seat were nearly fully broken due to permanent contact to the screw/shaft that drives the seat. So every time the seat adjustment is used the cable rubs on the screw and gets damaged more and more.
Once it is broken, the seat cant be removed cause you dount reach the bolts.

So if you can effort 1 hour per seat, get them out an check the condition of the cabels underneath. We forced them into a new position using some cable straps so the cant touch the screw/shaft anymore.

regards

Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 PM

Michaff,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I loosened the seat cushion by removing 2 nuts, one on each side near the front, from underneath using a ratcheting box end wrench.
I removed the 2 screws that hold the power seat motor, In lifting it out, I discovered one of the flexible wire wound spring cables (like mechanical speedometer cables) had broken in half. I guess it flexed a little too much!
These are not electrical cables but are used like a universal joint,
The motor turns them and they turn the worm gear in the gearbox that turns the gear on the long screw that moves the seat in and out.

So now I need to find a replacement for one of these little cables. I gave mechanical dimensions in a prior post. I do not see it listed or pictured in the parts fiche or the electronic parts manual I managed to download and install.

So I am hoping someone knows how I can find a replacement for this flexible cable.
Thanks.
John

Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by jsulliva
...... So now I need to find a replacement for one of these little cables. I gave mechanical dimensions in a prior post. I do not see it listed or pictured in the parts fiche or the electronic parts manual I managed to download and install. ......
John,

I've gone through the Parts Catalogue and checked online suppliers but this cable appears to be supplied as part of the seat slide and not available separately.

The only reasonable cost option for a replacement is going to be a seat slide from a breaker.

Graham

Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM

Graham,
Thanks for that information.
My next idea is to look for a speedometer shop to see if I can have this little bit made since apparently not available separately from Jaguar.
I appreciate your help.
John