XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Seat won't move - tried module swap - no luck

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

I am attaching a link for a wiring diagram for your car. I am also going to send another link for cleaning the switch for the seat controls. That link is for an XJ6 but I am sure cleaning process is near the same. I see that you have the link for the module repair from my page but have you opened the module to see if it is the problem. I hope what I send you will help.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2003.pdf

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
dbunt101 (05-30-2019)
Old 11-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Update - I started the complaint process with Pay Pal (which caused them to send him an email) and he immediately responded to let me know he would send me the repaired module this week (a month later than our original agreement). Wanting to be a reasonable individual, perhaps I should chalk this up to a misunderstanding. Will keep you informed when I actually receive a working module.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Just received a note from Darrell - he shipped my module today. Starting the process with Pay pal really seemed to get this issue moving. I suppose in the future I should do a better job of finding out a realistic time frame at the start - as I mentioned to Darrell if he had told me it would take a month I would have had no problem with it - he is obviously good at what he does. Looking forward to moving that seat again!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Hopefully, Darrell has been very successful with his retirement business. He had my module in his possession about 3 days from receipt to return shipment.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:57 PM

FINAL UPDATE - I just received the module yesterday and installed it today - it works like a champ. In my latest email communication with Darrell he admitted to having a major health issue recently. I know your health is a very private thing, but I wish I had known this up front - I never would have made my previous post to this forum - my seat module is insignificant compared to someones health.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Just had this repaired on my XK8. It is a known issue. A wire wears in the harness under the seat causing a short. You need to replace the relay. This will allow you to move the seat forward so you can get to the torx bolts. You may need to replace the relays a couple of times before you get the seat far enough forward. Once you get the seat out you will see the harness. There are several wires. Once you find the worn wire, the source of the short, you can put electrical tape over it. That is the quick, dirty fix.

Jag has a TSB on this as it is a known issue. The TSB gives a more complete fix.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pbuck
...or if you are comfortable with the idea, you could try it yourself:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The rightmost/uppermost indicated track from the first and second photos is tilt forward - that's the one that was bad on my module. The next one over (2nd from right and 2nd uppermost) is presumably tilt backward. So look for any breaks in those two tracks.
I used an x-acto knife to scrape away the resin and make the tracks clean and bright either side of the track break so that the track would take solder. Wiping with isopropyl alcohol helps too. I used a single whisker (strand) of some old stranded AC power cord wire I had around to bridge the track break - taped it with a sliver of masking tape to hold it in place while I soldered either side to the cleaned up track (it was longer than the 1/4" inch mentioned in the article - I cut any excess off). I used a piece of electrical tape over the repair, folded underneath, for future protection instead of the epoxy recommended in the article (epoxy might be better but would be difficult to remove if you need to get to the same area again). Now, admittedly it's only been one or two weeks since the repair but the module is holding up fine.
That link to jagrepair.com answered every question I had.. Thanks for this link being posted.. Got my passenger rear window fixed and the new hydraulic hose driver side done today since finding this link.. Jag is now 100%!! What else can I say.. : 0)

The following users liked this post:
Gus (11-21-2016)