XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Selling My Baby :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear that sam, i've watched your utube vids and they were so helpful, hope all is well. good luck with the car sale

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
But you will have to stick around, you're the only other Pastafarian I know.

)
Can we see your driver's license to prove it?
BBC News - Austrian driver allowed 'pastafarian' headgear photo

Old 04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see you're selling Jag. I had hoped to contact you regards convertible top issue while in Pinehurst this past winter but, time was tight this year prior to returning to WNY I was just watching your window video earlier today.

Good luck with vehicle plans, stay healthy & positive.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Sam I joined the forum after stumbling on to one of your videos and have always enjoyed your posts.I wish you all the best and thank you for all your help.

Al

Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Can we see your driver's license to prove it?
BBC News - Austrian driver allowed 'pastafarian' headgear photo
Yeah....like I'd really want that guy coming at me from down the road.

Sam; If you can't hang on you gotta promise yourself and us that you'l step back in someday. I got mine out last night for the first time in many, many weeks. It was so nice to drive...especially top down. I parked in the driveway and was puttering around the garage, and I kept looking out at the cat sitting there in the waning light.

I swaer it is the most beautiful car I've owned, and I've owned some nice ones. But none match the smooth, graceful, yet powerful lines of these cats. My only way out is to move up to an '03-04 or an XKR of the same years. Did you ever come up with a price on yours, Sam?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Hate to see you go

I've worked off several of your posts. Hate to see you go. Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

I'm supposed to be closing the deal on Monday. We settled on $11K. He's getting a really good deal. He offered $11K on Wednesday, but I turned it down, I wanted $11,500. Last night I told my daughter and she flipped out. She wants me to sell it as soon as possible because the sooner I sell it the sooner I can get her a car.

My wife and I took a farewell drive to the beach today. About 2.5 hours each way on back roads. Now I'm sad. We'll probably go for a short drive tomorrow, but then she'll be gone. (The car, not the wife)

Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Lots of good pics and details, Sam. Far more than any CL ad I've ever seen by a private seller. Someone will be jumping on it, but be careful...no Nigerian cashier's checks. If it didn't have the black top and interior you and I would be discussing terms.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Lots of good pics and details, Sam. Far more than any CL ad I've ever seen by a private seller. Someone will be jumping on it, but be careful...no Nigerian cashier's checks. If it didn't have the black top and interior you and I would be discussing terms.
I'm not a huge fan of the black leather, either. It's actually not as bad in the heat as one would expect, but I'd much rather have dove, or whatever color that is in H20boy's car.

I think I forgot to mention that my wife gave me a special treat on our last drive in the car, if you know what I mean. Don't worry... I was careful.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 AM

Sam;

I know this may be treading on your ice, but it bothers me that your daughter would actually want you to sell a car you love so much so (in her mind) SHE can get a car for herself. I'd spell that b-i-c-y-c-l-e in her "garage". You earned your car, and you should only have to give it up when it's right for you and your family. Apparently, your wife also likes it a lot, too. Your daughter seems to have her priorities a little mixed up.

And, $11,000 is NOT enough for your car. It might be enough if you hadn't done all the work you did. You sure you don't want to hold out for another couple of grand?

Did yoou consider getting a "classic/exotic " insurance policy like I have? The company itself excludes underage drivers and that eliminates several problems all at once.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

"I think I forgot to mention that my wife gave me a special treat on our last drive in the car, if you know what I mean."

You are my hero SAM!

Last edited by cohibarandy; 04-15-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow Sam. This is a surprise to see. I have no words.

Hopefully it went to a good owner at least.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry Sam....
Tell your daughter to do what YOU had to do!
Work, save, struggle - EARN it!
I love my son, but NO WAY would I sell MY car, just so HE can have one!
Roy.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Well... I think the sale fell through. We were supposed to meet at the bank today to take care of everything, but he never called. No big deal, though. Two other people have looked at it since I made the deal with the first guy, and they were both interested if the deal fell through.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Which means you can have another of those drives with a special treat...

Are you sure your daughter cant buy her own car?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

it's a sign that you're supposed to keep your car.

so how much would paying for bus tickets & cab rides for your daughter over the next two years cost?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,380 Likes on 2,861 Posts

Sam,

I must say that you're a hell of a lot more lenient with your daughter than I was with ours. She has you wrapped around her little finger. Not good for either one of you....

When our daughter obtained her drivers license at 16 way back in the winter of 1991, I got her a relatively well-cared-for 1986 Honda CRX. A damn nice little sporty coupe for a kid in those days. I admit, I was sick of hauling her to high school swim team practice at 4:30 every morning and saw this mostly as a way for me to be able to get some decent sleep again. I read her the riot act on being responsible with the car and made it absolutely clear that any drop-off in grades as well as any moving violations of any kind would mean that she loses access to the CRX for an appropriate period of time. She agreed as any kid would do in that situation. And for the first few months, she upheld her end of the bargain....

Then in late summer 1991, her best friend convinced her to sneak away for a day trip to Virginia Beach without permission from us. That's a four-hour drive from here. And to top it off, she ran into another car while in Virginia Beach (the other driver opened her door into traffic, and our daughter ran into it). Our daughter was charged by the Virginia Beach cops for being at fault, then had to drive her damaged car four hours back home, and finally had to face us with absolutely no excuse for her and her friend's stupidity....

To make a long story short, both of these girls knew they were in trouble and would be punished. My daughter's friend's parents grounded her at home for two weeks. My daughter, however, lost her car. Not for two weeks. Not for two months. For ONE YEAR....

If she had ever insisted that I sell one of our vehicles in order to provide her with one, she would never have had a car while living under our roof, period....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-17-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Well... I think the sale fell through. We were supposed to meet at the bank today to take care of everything, but he never called. No big deal, though. Two other people have looked at it since I made the deal with the first guy, and they were both interested if the deal fell through.
DONT DO IT SAM!!!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisw
DONT DO IT SAM!!!!!
Unless is for getting an XKR for you.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

It's official. The car is no longer mine. I think the new owner will take very good care of it. He seemed like a nice guy.

Quick Reply: Selling My Baby :-(