XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Shifter Stuck In Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Stuck In Park

I have used this forum for years to fix various problems on my xk8 (thanks for all the useful posts). However I cannot find a suggestions for my current dilema. This morning I turned on my car and while letting the engine warm I went inside the house. When I came back out the engine was off. I tried turning it on again but the car would crank but not start. After waiting 15minutes the car turned on again, only to turn off again. I tried to shift to neutral with and found the shifter stuck on park. I noticed when I press the brake there isnt a click to indicate the gear lock is released. My brake lights work when I press the brake. The car has not shown any warnings that something like this was going to happen. from what I have read Im guessing it may be one of the following.....

1) Brake switch indicator
2) Gear shift solenoid (not familiar with this part)
3) some plastic part in the gear shifter is broken

Based on the what I mentioned, what seems like the most likely problem. I would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction. I do not mind checking one by one for the problem but would like to know which problem I should look towards first. (I would like to go with the leaast time consuming and most probable choice first). I have read some very insightful things here and appreciate whatever help I can get.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 PM

BTW the following indications appeared on the odometer "engine fault", "gearbox fault", and "incorrect part fitted".

Old 10-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredogredo
BTW the following indications appeared on the odometer "engine fault", "gearbox fault", and "incorrect part fitted".
Did you do any work on the car just before this problem? Possibly with an electrical component?

What is the status of your battery? The ECUs on these cars are very sensitive to weakening batteries, and can throw out all kinds of weird information when a battery isn't up to standards anymore. The broad nature of your error messages might indicate something like this.

Example of electrical weirdness: last week, I was working on the engine and wanted to crank the engine without sending fuel through the injectors. I removed the injector supply fuse from my engine fuse box, and the car threw out some pretty amazing (and totally unrelated) error messages with that fuse out. Wouldn't even think about cranking, either. I put the fuse back in, and everything was fine.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Yeah I was actually working on the rear quarter window. The motor ate up the wire and I opened it up to see.

Update: I was able to shift to neutral by unscrew the star bolt by the shifter and pushing the button with a screwdriver. I also realize that upon cranking no fuel is being sent to the injectors. Im assuming now that this is a fuel pump issue. Maybe when I was moving the back seats I might have knocked something around. I already bought a replacement fuel pump and am planning to install it soon. I want to check if it might be sensor or relay first. Any suggestions on where to look aside from the fuses and relays in the boot fuse box.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just saw post had to reply

I know this might sound ridicules and out of sorts but this happened to my just tonight I looked everywhere. U know all I had to do was turn the car off lock the car and unlock it a few times and it went out of park just fine I couldn't believe it either I guess the car still thought it was locked but I hope this helps u

The following users liked this post:
toaster (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

In earlier XK8 the gear shift solenoid is fed from the same fuse as the windscreen washers ( water pump, not wiper motor ) check if that still works. Maybe trapping a wire took some body module fuses out.

Certainly do some fuse checking before you start anything major. Good luck.

Johnken (02-23-2023)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Alfredo
I am not as expert as many on this site - but have experienced a similar problem with the gearshift. It turned out to be the brake light switch activated by the brake pedal. This controls/energizes the gearshift lock solenoid as well as operating the brakes. It's a bit of a ******* to get at, but once removed you can release the ratchet on the switch which increases its throw. That's all that was needed in my case - though I had already purchased a new switch - turned out not to be needed.

As for the engine cut out - I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest - other than what has already been said - I'm guessing it was related to the work you did. IMHO I think the two problems are NOT related.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by gareth676
Hi Alfredo
I am not as expert as many on this site - but have experienced a similar problem with the gearshift. It turned out to be the brake light switch activated by the brake pedal. This controls/energizes the gearshift lock solenoid as well as operating the brakes. It's a bit of a ******* to get at, but once removed you can release the ratchet on the switch which increases its throw. That's all that was needed in my case - though I had already purchased a new switch - turned out not to be needed.

As for the engine cut out - I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest - other than what has already been said - I'm guessing it was related to the work you did. IMHO I think the two problems are NOT related.

Good luck.
Dude, did u notice you are replying to a 4 yr old post?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Jamdmeyers

No I didn't! That's a bit embarrassing - replied because it appeared at the top of my screen and assumed the forum would put the most recent posts first! Must have a look at my settings and see if I can get the posts to display that way. Thanks for the heads up - I'm guessing Alfredo is probably sorted by now :-) LOL.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@gareth676 Don't let the year gap stop from providing additional helpful information. I too am having this issue, now 6 years after this last post!! I created a thread about this issue, albeit not having found this one before hand, so I'm hoping to get it resolved soon. See you all in about 5 years? LOL!

Johnken (02-23-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 11:18 AM
Default solution to stuck in park, 2001 xk8

hi all -- i bought a 2001 drop top (brg/bisq) with 100k miles. runs like a top...could put a tea cup on the dash and **** thru all gears without spilling a drop. well cared for. but then my shifter stuck in park. i released it by the instructions in the manual (i.e., remove little plug, stick in a rod as suggested, and it shifts until next time, repeat as needed). this must be a common problem as it is in the basic drivers handbook. duh! i thought it was the solenoid. yes and no. the manual rod overrode the solenoid but didn't fix the problem. looked on line for the wiring diagram. seemed like a lot of electrical connections came from one submodule but didn't say which fuse did exactly what. too many items for me to trace. took it to a good shop. they traced it (quite quickly and inexpensively) to a short in the driver side sun visor mirror light switch. disconnected that light as the wiring went onward into the covering on the windshield surround and wasn't worth taking off (i guess the mirror doesn't like looking at me instead of the prior, very attractive female owner) and all is now fine. obviously the fuse was replaced. that one circuit also appeared to control the windshield wiper spritzer, the steering wheel reset, the interior dome light and who knows what else! i now carry the rod needed to release the park lever and a few fuses. simple fix if you can find the problem -- it could be a short on anything on that circuit and some are hard to find...that is the problem!

Old 02-21-2023, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,414 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Not common, but it does happen. It can be caused by the wiring getting pinched and shorted when the sunvisors are R&R.

If you're lucky, it only blows F7 in the driver side fascia fusebox in this scenario. If you're not, it can take out the BPM. Don't rely on a stash of fuses to keep you safe. This has cropped up very recently - see this post from 1998xk8:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post2611520

Follow the links in the thread to see the outcome when the fuse doesn't get there in time...