XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Should I buy 2001 XKR Coupe Silverstone 15k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jesse parton
1.12 Lateral G's, 100 mph to 0 in 100 feet and yes they were always going to be ultra rare. The coupe is in no way like the other XKR's that Jaguar sold - it just looked a little like it except for the 20 inch BBS wheels the 14 inch Brembo's and 30 series Pirelli's and that it sits an inch and a half lower static and just over 2 inches at 100 MPH.
Pure fantasy.

Where is the BS flag icon?

Maybe with race tires 1.02 on the skidpad and 100kmph to 0 in 100feet, but a 3700lb street car with 20" wheels and 14" brakes isn't going post 458 Ferrari or current ZO6 or GT3 RS numbers in 2001.

A C6 ZO6 with 15.5" Carbon ceramic brakes 285F and 335R tires (that last only about 3000 miles), weighing OVER 400lbs less than an XKR, takes 93 feet to stop FROM 60 MPH. I don't think a Jag traveling 40 mph faster will take only 7 feet longer to stop.

In order to run 10% over 1G on the skidpad, downforce is needed. A new Z06 or GS corvette (that can actually do 1.10 on the skid pad with super soft tires) have so much downforce they are 25 mph slower on top end than the cars they replaced. 1.10 on the skid pad comes with a price much higher than just stiff springs and shocks.

Downforce makes these cars LOWER at 100 mph than they are sitting still (not 1/2 inch higher like the Jag is).

I doubt anyone will flog their silverstone to disprove these numbers, but I'd bet money against them if they did.

Last edited by Ungn; 01-22-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

That one listed in Boise is a beauty.. I'd have a hard time spending that much :/ but it is a beautiful car.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
Pure fantasy.

Where is the BS flag icon?

Maybe with race tires 1.02 on the skidpad and 100kmph to 0 in 100feet, but a 3700lb street car with 20" wheels and 14" brakes isn't going post 458 Ferrari or current ZO6 or GT3 RS numbers in 2001.

A C6 ZO6 with 15.5" Carbon ceramic brakes 285F and 335R tires (that last only about 3000 miles), weighing OVER 400lbs less than an XKR, takes 93 feet to stop FROM 60 MPH. I don't think a Jag traveling 40 mph faster will take only 7 feet longer to stop.

In order to run 10% over 1G on the skidpad, downforce is needed. A new Z06 or GS corvette (that can actually do 1.10 on the skid pad with super soft tires) have so much downforce they are 25 mph slower on top end than the cars they replaced. 1.10 on the skid pad comes with a price much higher than just stiff springs and shocks.

Downforce makes these cars LOWER at 100 mph than they are sitting still (not 1/2 inch higher like the Jag is).

I doubt anyone will flog their silverstone to disprove these numbers, but I'd bet money against them if they did.

When you consider the roots of this car's platform it is necessary to accept that this is meant to be a very nice GT with the ability to be pushed from time to time, but nothing as serious as true sports car. The coupe can be modified because the extra rigidity of the structure makes up for the overall age and limitations of the platform.

Our cars come from a time when Jaguar did not have a true sports car in its product line, so there is a temptation to try to do more with the model and fill more niches. Take for example the current F-type. It is a true sports car that offers a roadster experience, but not a GT or GT convertible experience. I am going to try one out soon, but would I be inclined to make long journeys as I have done with the XK8, and enjoyed every minute? One has to ask if a manufacturer can support a GT Coupe and Convertible platform and a separate sports car platform in both forms.

Interestingly the Corvette is finding itself in this situation. The recent ones can do some amazing things as sports cars, very track-able cars, but the GT versions are still too nasty for me to use for more than a day let alone a long journey.

With the silverstone does one gain anything noteworthy other than exclusivity without losing what makes this a great GT?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse parton
Well I must say i'm a little disappointed in this thread. All XKR owners on this forum should know much more about the Silverstone than they do. It is not just a cosmetic option for red stitching but a performance option that put Jaguar in the same breath as Porsche and Ferrari.

There were only 31 coupes sold in the U.S with a suspension option that was never available again even the 102 convertibles that were sold had a softer setting that became the "Hi-Po" or "R" option in later XKR's. The suspension was so taut on the Silverstone coupe that Jaguar itself issued a memo telling the 31 owners to put the suspension setting in the softer mode when listening to the cd player because it skipped on occasion.

All Silverstones world wide were built in calendar year 2000 but sold as 2001s. Most coupes are in the hands of die hard Jaguar collectors for one reason.......1.12 Lateral G's, 100 mph to 0 in 100 feet and yes they were always going to be ultra rare. The coupe is in no way like the other XKR's that Jaguar sold - it just looked a little like it except for the 20 inch BBS wheels the 14 inch Brembo's and 30 series Pirelli's and that it sits an inch and a half lower static and just over 2 inches at 100 MPH.

In short this car will flat out shock you as it drives around you on the outside of your favorite twisty bits. I own Silverstone coupe number 12 and my wife owns a Silverstone DHC they sit in our garage next to my wife's other car a XK150 DHC 3.8 SE ....yes we love our Jaguars....Ill post some pictures soon.

Where's the button to change the suspension? I'm interested.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
You wanna see one with the price inflated?

https://boise.craigslist.org/ctd/5963115499.html

It's a local one here that they've been advertising for a while. Not a surprise it hasn't sold, when they're asking $32,000 for an 01 Silverstone 'vert with just under 20,000 miles.
My 2 Cents on high priced Jags. Cheap used cars are a dime a dozen and no bargain in the end. I bought my 04 XKR with every conceivable option and 14K miles 3 1/2 years ago. I walked the plank price wise to buy it at about $7k over what a 60,00 mile car cost then. During my ownership I really enjoyed the car, especially not having to spend $17K sorting out the problems like a friend of mine did after he bought the same model year car from a Florida Dealer. I sold it this fall, 3 1/3 years older, in one day, 1 call for several thousand more than my total cost of ownership.. Having only ever done fluid changes and a Limiter valve install, I would pony up again for a low mileage car that is something special to start with.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by melhookv12
Where's the button to change the suspension? I'm interested.
me too.
I have an xkr factory fitted with all the SVO options including revised CATS software but there is no way to switch settings that l am aware of.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

Rperformance, I assume by "cheap" you mean "inexpensive."

This is what I do and it probably does not fit everyone's method. Generally when I buy my vehicles I shop from anywhere from 2 to upwards of 6 months. I typically buy in the "middle" to cheaper end as far as price goes for the particular model. I do not like dirt cheap as they scare me away, but I do not overpay, at least I do not think so. Although I have known people that have bought low and made out well, I've also known the opposite. Usually when I look for one I like to do as you did, buy in the 60,000 mile range, drive it for several years, and sell. The most recent purchase I made varied from what I normally do and I bought higher mileage, but bought as a partial fixer upper with reasonable service records, for a below average market value. In the end, I am a firm believer of shopping around, as there are some good deals to be had if one looks around.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on what end you are on and how you look at it), price is not a direct indicator of overall value. Take for instance our 2004 Jaguar XJ8 which had 62000 miles on it when we purchased it two years ago in excellent shape. Similar vehicles at the time were about $2000+ more than what we paid. If price were the true indicator, I would have hopped into a money pit. But it has been an extremely reliable car, and outside of regular maintenance I haven't really done much to it.

I guess my point is, everyone has their ideal price, mileage, etc they like to buy and take part in ownership. Some people make out well in the end, others do not. Perhaps there is more of a likelihood of being on the better end of things if you spend more initially, which probably means you are either buying lower mileage or newer. Repeatedly on this forum I see people give buying advice and make a point to buy a Jaguar with good maintenance records. I personally believe this to be sound advice. I don't think price is directly related to how well the vehicle was taken care of, though it may be.

The Silverstone in Boise may be a deal to someone, if they think a one owner, dealer maintained, under 20000 mile car is worth $32000, and that's okay. They may get away with less maintenance than others and resell for not much less several years later to, well, someone who thinks a two owner, dealer maintained....well, you get my point. Others look at it and say it is 16 years old and will need maintenance regarless of miles, because of age. $32000 does not leave much buffer for maintenance costs. If price were an indicator of the value, they could always hike the price to $50000 or more.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my ramblings.

That said, I'm glad the Jag worked out for you for the 3 1/2 years.

Last edited by chillyphilly; 01-24-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

The price on this car with 15k miles is really good. I've seen cars with double the mileage sell for more! You always get what you pay for.. I would not be looking for the cheapest car, I would be looking for the best deal (Big Difference) .

The Silverstone is a special edition that might be worth it if your a collector. Its never going to be a 911, or even a 928....but its nice to have. Engine is the same old 4.0, as is the older 5-speed auto.

Main Differences?
1). Diameter of the Silverstone’s front anti-roll bar has been increased to 26 millimeters, with a 34 percent increase in spring rates over the standard XKR.
2) Anti-roll bar has actually been decreased by 2 millimeters to 15.
3) Rear spring rates increased by 15 percent.
4) Ride height by 10mm
5) MSRP was over $95k before options

Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
me too.
I have an xkr factory fitted with all the SVO options including revised CATS software but there is no way to switch settings that l am aware of.

Having worked at a dealer here in the UK, and in Australia I was lucky enough to drive a black xkr silverstone in the UK, and a customers XJR Silverstone in Sydney ( Manly area, had the car overnight on extended testing ).
There is no button to change the suspension, a common misconception is the Sport button for the gearbox changes other thing on the car.

The above poster was probably fed this duff info by a keen salesman. I am more than happy to be proved wrong though.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by melhookv12
Having worked at a dealer here in the UK, and in Australia I was lucky enough to drive a black xkr silverstone in the UK, and a customers XJR Silverstone in Sydney ( Manly area, had the car overnight on extended testing ).
There is no button to change the suspension, a common misconception is the Sport button for the gearbox changes other thing on the car.

The above poster was probably fed this duff info by a keen salesman. I am more than happy to be proved wrong though.
As the "above poster" l can assure you l was not fed any duff regarding the CATS system nor the purpose of the sport button.
My post was meant as a polite rebuttal of the inference by a previous poster that such a change to damper settings could be made.
I am curious however regarding your mention of a black silverstone. I always thought all such cars were platinum silver.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

Baxtor, I'll go ahead and try to play couch referee here, but I believe the "above poster" Melhookv12 was referring to was Jesse Parton, as it sounds like you two are in agreement, or at least befuddled by the statement that there may be a suspension button. I will however add, that Jesse did not specifically state there was a "button" to change the suspension setting, but knowing Jaguar and its target market, one could assume that is what they would have made.

Here is from wikipedia, (if it can be believed and taken as truth):

Originally Posted by wikipedia

Only 100 Silverstone models were made in Phase I. These cars were all sold in the U.K. Phase I cars had integrated headrests and were all right-hand drive. Series II Silverstone's had separate and adjustable headrests and were available in both right and left-hand drive (ROW). Phase I - 50 Coupés, 50 Convertibles and phase II (ROW) - 94 Coupés and 175 Convertibles were produced in celebration of Jaguar's 2001 return to Formula One (F1) racing. They featured unique platinum paint finish (only available on the Silverstone XKR), specific badges and tread plates, a high-performance package (with the same engine as the standard XKR, but improved transmission, steering, suspension and brakes), 20-inch Silver BBS wheels mated to nearly 14 inch front Brembo's in the front and 13 inch rears producing a remarkable 60 to 0 in a scant 103 feet and a custom interior (red-stitched black leather and silver birds-eye maple wood) . All possible factory options were included, with the exception of the telephone and the navigation system, which had to be ordered separately. The production figures for the U.S.( Jaguar's biggest market) are 31 coupes and 139 convertibles. All Silverstones were manufactured in calendar year 2000, the last one being a coupe for the Japanese market built on 12/23/2000. Motorweek posted a 0 to 60 time of 4.9. The coupe in the harder setting often produced a skip in the CD changer. The dealer fix was to tell the owners to use the soft mode when listening to a CD.
It is interesting it, too, noted the CD skippage and solution. I'm sure one could search and find a service bulletin from Jaguar regarding this. We can also see the braking distance is 60-0 in 103 feet. I'm sure, as Ungn pointed out, those figures are MPH, whereas Jesse posted 100-0 which would be true if they were in KPH. Apparently there were a total of 31 Silverstone coupes imported to the US, and according to Jesse, every one of them had adjustable suspension. I don't know about the UK or AU versions, but it may have only applied to the series 2 US version of the Silverstone.

Just taking a stab at it, I may be wrong.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, being the owner of one of the Silverstone, i can guarantee there is no button for setting the suspension stiffness, is automatically done by the CATS module. Only the Sport button back to the gear lever.
My is the 2nd serie, with separated head rests. I have navigation but no mobile phone.
Regards

Old 01-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
Baxtor, I'll go ahead and try to play couch referee here, but I believe the "above poster" Melhookv12 was referring to was Jesse Parton, as it sounds like you two are in agreement, or at least befuddled by the statement that there may be a suspension button..
l think you might be correct Chilly. I apologise to melhook for my misread of his post.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,358 Likes on 749 Posts

As for the price, take a look at this sale, surely it makes the price of the $19K Silverstone a pretty good deal.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...ERTIBLE-201857

Wayne

Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
l think you might be correct Chilly. I apologise to melhook for my misread of his post.

It's all good. I was referring to the other post.
And I also have to correct myself. I was wrong. The 2 cars that I referenced were XKR100 and XJR100.
Not Silverstones as I wrongly stated.

But either way none of them had adjustable suspension buttons. Would like to see Jesse button 😉😅 and be proved wrong.

Even CATS wasn't that adjustable. Hard or soft, they were the adjustments make by the module.