XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Should I repaint the XK8 this color?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
You are looking at it the wrong way.

Nobody modifies a car and expect to get there money back, it is not an investment, more of a statement.
I argee! It's all about making a statement than a investment when I decided to buy a Jag!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

If I was not to get a paint job and least twice as good as a factory finish I would feel quite disgusted at myself. A factory finish often has a moderately peeley finish, they keep the paint thicker so it does not run.
The hardest part a painter actually has is to actually match the particular orange peel texture of a factory finish when trying to match.

As for getting a better than factory finish, that's really not that difficult. Factory body metal has striations that are hard to match as well, but any custom down to metal repaint should do the body work necessary to make everything perfect.

I'd never get show quality paint on my car though. I'd be too paranoid to even look at it for too long.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

You are looking at it the wrong way.

Nobody modifies a car and expect to get there money back, it is not an investment, more of a statement.
+1

The key is the time spent on prepping the body 'Racer's already mentioned how long it can take.

My thoughts on Ultimate Black, it's too shiny....the Jaguar Anthracite (PED code) is a more manly black.

Tom Whalley PaintworX - YouTube

notice the lacquer gun size. Notice the pearl effect, it's from here, it's difficult to do it correctly.

HouseofKolor.com online shopping from the worldwide leader in the paint and coatings industry.

Time/products/a good eye all make a quality paint job.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did I hear you right, you're putting this together for your brother coming back from service? If you painted it plaid, my friend, this would still be the coolest XK on the planet. Kudos to the both of you.

Ok, but really just kidding about the plaid. We'd probably have to have a listserv intervention. I think keeping the same color is a good choice. On the rims, I'm a bit of a purist, but the Jag's stock XKR 20" wheels on my car make that easy. I'm not such a fan of the XK8s, so I also support your choice to get new rims as well. Rims can really make a personal statement that enhance the car's head turning capacity- which is already substantial on this car as is.

For me, the key is not introducing a gaudy factor. Too much chrome and you might as well put remote hydraulic bouncing shocks and neon under the car while you're at it, imho. Here are my basic rules/opinions- I'm sure many would disagree: most cars with a single color should stick with silver, or silver with very minor chrome accents. Rims should never introduce a new color into the mix. Exceptions: black cars can look good with some chrome rims. Two tone cars (and convertibles apply here- the top color is your second tone) can support rims with both colors- so a yellow convertible with black top could have black rims with yellow accents. Tan top is harder, just because there aren't a lot of tan rims. So silver with red accent would work. I came across these when browsing and thought if my XK were red, I'd give them serious consideration.

Attached Thumbnails Should I repaint the XK8 this color?-screen-shot-2011-11-05-07.45.50-.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
Did I hear you right, you're putting this together for your brother coming back from service? If you painted it plaid, my friend, this would still be the coolest XK on the planet. Kudos to the both of you.

Ok, but really just kidding about the plaid. We'd probably have to have a listserv intervention. I think keeping the same color is a good choice. On the rims, I'm a bit of a purist, but the Jag's stock XKR 20" wheels on my car make that easy. I'm not such a fan of the XK8s, so I also support your choice to get new rims as well. Rims can really make a personal statement that enhance the car's head turning capacity- which is already substantial on this car as is.

For me, the key is not introducing a gaudy factor. Too much chrome and you might as well put remote hydraulic bouncing shocks and neon under the car while you're at it, imho. Here are my basic rules/opinions- I'm sure many would disagree: most cars with a single color should stick with silver, or silver with very minor chrome accents. Rims should never introduce a new color into the mix. Exceptions: black cars can look good with some chrome rims. Two tone cars (and convertibles apply here- the top color is your second tone) can support rims with both colors- so a yellow convertible with black top could have black rims with yellow accents. Tan top is harder, just because there aren't a lot of tan rims. So silver with red accent would work. I came across these when browsing and thought if my XK were red, I'd give them serious consideration.

Hi Crispy! Yes, I gave my brother the XK8 for his service in the Marines. He just got back from deployment and he wanted to look for a new car. I told him he could have mine and I would help him fix it up (since the engine needed repair). Like this he saved a lot of money and he has a cool car now.
I really like the rims you posted here because it would match the car very well! I agree that the stock XK8 rims are horrible and need to be changed. I will show these to my brother to see how he likes them. We were thinking about maybe going with 20" in the front and 22" in the rear with slightly wider tires. It might give it an exotic look and still remain classy.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

something to keep in mind about huge rims is that they tend to damage more easily than smaller rims with a larger tire sidewall. if he'll be using this as a daily driver or in an area with lots of potholes, 20"+ rims could become a bit of a headache.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by OhioXK
something to keep in mind about huge rims is that they tend to damage more easily than smaller rims with a larger tire sidewall. if he'll be using this as a daily driver or in an area with lots of potholes, 20"+ rims could become a bit of a headache.

Yes you do make a good point OhioXK. I've gone over some horrible potholes in my area so my brother will have a problem when it comes to tires with lower profile. Maybe I should just stick to 20" rims maximum all around. It's a good ponit I'll have to discuss with him.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

What an interesting question. I have mixed feelings about doing something which fundamentally alters a car which is emerging as a future classic - but I don't know where the line is. I have, for example, made some dashboard veneer changes, but (you might think this is a bit over the top) bought a spare veneer dash so that a future owner could bring it back to the original.

I think you are wise to keep the dark red, and it is a beautiful colour; similarly, if you change the wheels then don't be tempted to sell the old ones but keep them for posterity. My car has 18" aluminium rims which I am personally satisfied with (and they are a bit more practical, being more resistant to kerbing, and hve cheaper tyres). I think that chrome is gaudy; I wonder if bronze effect wheels would look good with the red paintwork?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Ok so it's been awhile since I have been back on here, but my brother and I have finally finished the XK8! Remember, this car was not running and was in poor condition. I gave this car to my brother as a gift when he returned home from deployment. We spent about 3 months getting it to where we have it today. I hope you will like the finished product!

Attached Thumbnails Should I repaint the XK8 this color?-cc6.jpg   Should I repaint the XK8 this color?-cc3.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

From this distance it looks good.......

Any chance of some better pics?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It looks very nice, well done. I like the colour combination and the paintwork looks first class. Not a huge fan of those quad rear lights, though.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

like the color

Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

and what size wheels did you decide on? They look larger than 20's to this observer.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

That's a pretty color. That is the color of the one that I saw in a used car lot that made me start looking into buying an XK.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Paint code CGC otherwise known as carnival red

Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Thank you everyone! My brother wanted the quad rear lights to make it stand out from the other XKs. I'll get some better pictures by the end of next week because these shots came from my phone. We decided on 20" staggered rims. The rear tires are wider and it's perfectly flush with the fender arches. Here is a list of the work done so far:

1. Open air intake with heat shield
2. Front mesh grille
3. Rear "R" spoiler
4. Quad tail-lights
5. Custom exhaust with two resonators removed
6. 20" staggered rims
7. Fresh Carnival Red paint
8. Engine rebuild

Work to be done still:

1. Drilled/slotted rotors
2. Recaro seats with tan upholstery (similar to Ferraris & classy)
3. Custom convertible cover
4. ECU reprogramming

Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys did a great job!

Congrats.

Please thank your brother for serving, and wish him well back home.

Your cars look great next to each other and that red GTO in the back ground makes me think about having my brother's black one repainted that color while he is out of town, hahaha.

You could get one of those Adamesh hard covers for the folded convertible and paint it to match the car....then he would look better than a Movie Star on Rodeo Drive....cause he is the real deal.

jaguar xk | body styling | jaguar body styling

Where are you going to get the ECU reprogrammed?

Have always thought the red/tan combo was very compelling, Ferrari's, Jaguar's, MG's etc.

Cheers to both of you,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 01-13-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black and tan sounds great to me.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repaint to black

I think Black w/Tan is classy if you do the complete color change. I have seen many Corniche in that combo. Its all about what you want, not what is correct. If you have the money to do it, I say go for it. The photos look great in the red. Wheels look similar to an Aston Martin. Give your Brother a huge thank You for serving.

Last edited by RIXJ8; 01-14-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone, I will be sure to tell my brother. I told him to join this forum so hopefully he will get on here soon. As far as the ECU, I will need to look for a motorsports place around the area. When I find a place I will let you know the name of it and how the car runs after.

Oh, and that GTO is a great car! That picture was from the Cars & Coffee event in Irvine. There are a few Jags there, but hopefully more Jag owners come out to this event.

Quick Reply: Should I repaint the XK8 this color?