XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Should a XK8 or XKR be my first car..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I guess the nature of the ride depends on where you are coming from. I have seen people on this and other forums complaining about feeling bumps and roughness and road noise but, I swear, they must be coming from a Lexus sedan or other large cushy car.

When I got my 2005 XKR I was coming from a 1995 Corvette and I felt that the Jaguar was way too refined, smooth, quiet, etc. Coming from the Corvette the XKR felt like a Rolls-Royce or something. Whatever road feel and bumpiness there is sure doesn't bother me (which there was a bit more of it).

The "S" button is the so-called sport mode but there is no way I would ever consider XK8/XKR to be sporty in the usual sense. It is really luxury grand touring.

Doug

Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac4084
So is the ride on the bumpier sport side, or soft and soaks up bumps? I expect the XKR to have a rougher suspension.. right? And whats the button by the S on the J shifter? Like in this picture:
http://img-00.carmax.com/Images/8/00...5-fe305dc0.jpg

And thanks, the car does look a bit beat up. :P
The XKR has the Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS) as standard. This is basically an automatic suspension with 2 settings...it gets firmer when you need it at high speeds and around curves. In general, both the XK8 and XKR are a bit firmer than your average sedan, and a bit softer than your average sports car.

That other button just enables the cruise control (ASL=Automatic speed limiter).

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Most new drivers are involved in at least one accident with their first or second vehicle. Even if you're very careful. The jag is going to be pricey to fix, just the nature of the jag - so unless you have a financial buffer of several thousand, which most teens don't, or unless your parents are prepared to spot you a few thousand in case of an almost inevitable new driver accident, then no I wouldn't get an XK as a first car.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mean any disrespect, but a 16 year old should not have a 400+ horsepower car. That sort of power takes driving skill that you have not had time to develop. Do yourself a favor start out with less power. At the speeds that machine can go one mistake and you could get seriously hurt.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Maintainedby an indy!
Looks like there are traces of oil even on the intercoolers. This will never happen at the jaguar dealer as they try to work in a clean way, with clean tools and hands.

I find that very condescending Speaking as an indy

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i just disconnected everything in my xk8 . ready for engine transmission pull. should post pics in a minute here.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

That was probably the Carmax repair facility that was sloppy not a Jaguar Indy. Carmax did a terrible job on my sisters jeep before it went on the lot, she had to take it and have them fix the issues later. I believe they do give you a short warranty, so you can get it checked out and take it back if need be. This cars engine compartment just looks old for a 2005, may be Florida's weather? But even with the worn engine compartment the xkr is the better deal for sure.

My experience with independent shops is that they are better and less hurried than the dealers and often times more resourceful, at-least for Mercedes, have yet to experience a Jaguar independent shop but i bet the same is true for many.

As for an xkr at 16, hmmm, maintenance costs could be very high and insurance will be high. Also if you get in an accident these things are usually totaled, i'd hate to see what that would do to your future insurance rate. It all depends on whether your parents are willing to bank roll all those possible if not likely scenario's. Not to mention the possible haters in the school parking lot.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pomosv
Most new drivers are involved in at least one accident with their first or second vehicle. Even if you're very careful. The jag is going to be pricey to fix, just the nature of the jag - so unless you have a financial buffer of several thousand, which most teens don't, or unless your parents are prepared to spot you a few thousand in case of an almost inevitable new driver accident, then no I wouldn't get an XK as a first car.
Not sure about that. The first car I drove the day I got my license was my father's jaguar to pick up my grand parents. I never had any accident in that car but had many in other cars I cared less about

Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Last edited by pomosv; 10-16-2011 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Originally replied to post 28. Then I realized this is the internet where anectodes and opinions outweigh statistical data.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac4084
my sister got a X6 as her first car and I wanted to start out small
Is this thread a wind-up? I had to wait until I was in my mid 40s before I could afford a 'small' car like the XKR.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

I have to say, that as totally cool a Jaguar XKR would be for a young driver, it just is NOT THE CAR TO START WITH! They are wonderful but can be very temperamental, they have the potential to push you (as an inexperienced driver) too far and you may make a mistake that could kill you or others and certainly be a waaaay expensive mistake.

As a father that wants his son to drive something cool, please consider other alternatives out there. Rides that are not $$$$ but have originality and are really cool personal transportation.

My son, a high school senior chose a 1990 Mazda RX-7 when he was 16. We rebuilt it together and cleaned it up real nice. It has 150K miles on it and even with a near total rebuild he doesn't have more than $4500 in it and insurance is dirt cheap. NOBODY he hangs with is driving anything even close in the "cool car factor" two years later...

Good luck

Attached Thumbnails Should a XK8 or XKR be my first car..?-library-990.jpg   Should a XK8 or XKR be my first car..?-library-983.jpg   Should a XK8 or XKR be my first car..?-library-984.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Having passenger space was fairly important. I've always drove large luxury cars to complement small sports car, and they are a whole lot more functional than a small sports car. Here's the combos I had:

Lincoln Town Car - Triumph GT6
BMW 740i - Corvette Convertible
BMW 740i & Audi A4 - Corvette Convertible & Jaguar XKR Convertible

If I were the OP, and I were looking for a Jaguar, I'd go XJR. Not having space means that fewer friends fit in the car. Most of my friends are female, and most aren't very tall, and every one of them complains when stuck with back seat in my XKR. It's always, "Can't we take the BMW?"

Also, saying the starting out small comment seems like your trying to bait the members here, even if you just meant the physical size of the vehicle. Just sayin'.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read, I bought my 8 when I was 23 and have had it two years now without any accidents (touch wood).

I definately agree about starting off with a cheap car, accidents are inevitable (even if it's not your fault). Plus like someone said, I couldn't imagine turning up at the college I went to in my 8 and someone not keying it within the year.

Choosing an 8/R, depends entirely what you're after. Why do you want an XK? For the speed, looks, comfort?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Adster
Interesting read, I bought my 8 when I was 23 and have had it two years now without any accidents (touch wood).

I definately agree about starting off with a cheap car, accidents are inevitable (even if it's not your fault). Plus like someone said, I couldn't imagine turning up at the college I went to in my 8 and someone not keying it within the year.

Choosing an 8/R, depends entirely what you're after. Why do you want an XK? For the speed, looks, comfort?
I worked for the college I went to and nice cars were getting keyed, hit and run, etc in the staff lot that was camera monitored and regularly patrolled. The student lot was even worse...

I'm 24 and bought my XKR at 23, a Corvette at 18, an a Triumph GT6 at 16. Never any mishaps in the sports cars, and only one slow speed mishap in my regular boaty Lincoln Town Car. I got cut off in high school and although it wasn't my fault, the car was still jacked up. Currently I am looking at replacing the Corvette with a Lotus Esprit Turbo SE or S4 within the next year.

To the OP:
Work hard at school, the savings from scholarships are so massive that the difference in student loans can be a brand new XKR or even as much as a house! I worked hard(full time school AND work), still had to pay some tuition after scholarships and grants, and got a 3.73 graduating GPA with my Bachelors in Computer Science. I had offers from 3 fantastic companies right after graduation. It makes a HUGE difference; the fact I graduated debt free and got a huge job is WAY more important than how sweet a car I drove as a teenager. If you think you can go great in school and have the nice stuff, go ahead, otherwise it may prove to be too much a distraction.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you used to driving over 400 HP cars or will you be dangerous?

First, do they pass DMV smog?

Repairs will cost more than expected. Over $1,000 to have XK8 radiator replaced by indy. Get a list of all the parts that have been replaced by the previous owners. Read through the DIY posts, to see what many owners are repairing. The cost of parts for an XKR may be quite a bit more than for an XK8, i.e. brakes & rotors.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks guys.. yeah my high school has pretty old cars. Best car is a 300C or a 2005 X5. I was thinking a G35 sedan, or a BMW 3-series. I have 3 brothers and a sister and my family mostly consists of luxury cars and my brother has a 3-series sedan and I like that car probably the best, and my other brother has a ES350. I love SUV's but I think a sedan would be better. The prices for a XK8 or XKR would probably drop when I get my car.. maybe even enough to get the recent re-designed one haha..

Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello Zac,

Welcome to the forum!

Personal experience. I had a pretty tough time early on, so your mileage may vary.

I accidentally killed my first few cars - wrecked them, blew the motor, blew the tranny, let them rot in the sun, beat them up, didn't change the oil, and so on.

I found that, after I neglected a car for a while, it became a problem. Not only did I have a junky car, I had to change it out.

Of course, this is an endless cycle - nelgect, replace, neglect. And if the car dies, you have to beg rides.

If I were advising younger self, I would say - start with the cheap, robust ones and work your way up. You will be happier, and lessons will be cheaper.

I used to think that expensive, or flashy, or cool would make me happy. But I learned that easy to live with is just as important to my quality of life.

Jags, like many cool exotic cars, have fiddly problems, and can be expensive to maintain and repair.

This is why my wife and daughter both drive Japanese cars, and love them. Because women are smarter than men.

Good luck in your search.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jochem00
Maintainedby an indy!
Looks like there are traces of oil even on the intercoolers. This will never happen at the jaguar dealer as they try to work in a clean way, with clean tools and hands.
I will NEVER take my car to the dealer. My "Indie" shop is amazing.

They lay down multiple protective covers all over, the mechanic doesn't overcharge and rarely ever goes over quoted hours, even on custom stuff they've never seen (Colliflower Hyd Hose kit, NP cats, etc...).

After having seen how well my mechanic takes care of my car, I know for certain that no dealership can ever compare.

In fact, if I need to wait 2-3 weeks to even get an appointment, I'll let my car sit and wait it out.

I don't even get 2nd opinions/quotes anymore.

But my "indie" shop mostly does British stuff. Mainly Jaguars and Land Rovers.

If you're in SF Bay Area, try out British-European Exclusive in Campbell and if you doubt them, hang out and watch them work. They don't mind, and Don is super talkative, and no, you don't get charged for gab-time here.

On-topic: Get the XKR. Never buy an older XK8 when you can get a newer XKR.