XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Side mirror turn in for parking not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 12:12 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Side mirror turn in for parking not working

I've adjusted the switch as directed and they don't turn in. Anything to check? Thoughts?

Old 10-27-2021, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 386 Posts

Do you mean the autofold function where you pull back on the mirror joystick to fold them back? This was an option on XK8s and standard on the XKR - maybe your car doesn't have them?

The following users liked this post:
Markmbaha1 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Do you mean the autofold function where you pull back on the mirror joystick to fold them back? This was an option on XK8s and standard on the XKR - maybe your car doesn't have them?
Exactly, I've seen video saying the only XK8 that does not have these are cloth seated very low optioned vehicles. How can I find out if I have them?
Thank you!!

Old 10-28-2021, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Markmbaha1
Exactly, I've seen video saying the only XK8 that does not have these are cloth seated very low optioned vehicles. How can I find out if I have them?
Thank you!!
Do you have electrochromic door mirrors that dim automatically at night? The powerfold mirrors are also self dimming - it was part of the mirror option pack.

Markmbaha1 (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 05:39 AM
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm curious now as my UK MY 2000 XK8 has one side mirror that is yellowed so I assume was once self dimming but neither seems to auto fold. I do have leather seats. I suspect a chequered history!

Can you manually fold and auto fold mirror - I assumed not.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:45 AM

Do you have electrochromic door mirrors that dim automatically at night? The powerfold mirrors are also self dimming - it was part of the mirror option pack.
Good question, how do I know if I have that? I have a push button on my rear view mirror and I believe it works like that but I rarely drive that car at night. How can i check? Does anyone know how to get a build sheet on my vehicle?
Mark

Old 10-28-2021, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by drmike
I'm curious now as my UK MY 2000 XK8 has one side mirror that is yellowed so I assume was once self dimming but neither seems to auto fold. I do have leather seats. I suspect a chequered history!

Can you manually fold and auto fold mirror - I assumed not.
if you have electronic fold in mirrors you are not supposed to turn them manually I have read that. If turned manually by accident they have to be reset.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:08 AM
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts

Once I distract the grandkids I'll go and fiddle.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:47 PM

I just shined a light onto the rearview mirror light sensor and it immediately dimmed the rearview but not the side mirror. Does that unequivocally mean I do not have the electronic fold in sideview mirrors?
thank you
mark

Old 10-28-2021, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mark, push button on rear view mirror = dim the mirror when headlights turned on if push button is in and green LED lit.

Useful for folks like myself who cover that photo sensitive LED you shined the flashlight on, forcing headlights to be on whenever ignition is on. I unpush the button in daylight for rear view mirror to turn off dimming.

Why do I cover the LED? I have an asphalt grey car, certainly don't want it to blend in as other drivers barely glance around when pulling out or turning! Headlights always on = ez to see me.

John

Old 10-28-2021, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Mark, push button on rear view mirror = dim the mirror when headlights turned on if push button is in and green LED lit.

Useful for folks like myself who cover that photo sensitive LED you shined the flashlight on, forcing headlights to be on whenever ignition is on. I unpush the button in daylight for rear view mirror to turn off dimming.

Why do I cover the LED? I have an asphalt grey car, certainly don't want it to blend in as other drivers barely glance around when pulling out or turning! Headlights always on = ez to see me.

John
Thanks John but what does you answer have to do with determining if I have electronic dimming on side view mirrors? I'm trying to find out if I have the electric folding side mirrors and someone said I do, if they dim electrochromicly.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mark if I remember correctly you mentioned the button on your rear view mirror, which dims. Tried to help you untangle that feature.
J

Old 10-28-2021, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Mark if I remember correctly you mentioned the button on your rear view mirror, which dims. Tried to help you untangle that feature.
J
ok thank you. Yes the button turns on and off the monochromatic dimming. I was trying to determine if the sude mirrors did the same. Thanks for clarifying about that button.

Johnken (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member

I just shined a light onto the rearview mirror light sensor and it immediately dimmed the rearview but not the side mirror. Does that unequivocally mean I do not have the electronic fold in sideview mirrors?
thank you
mark
Well anything is possible, but if your side mirrors don't dim and don't powerfold it does suggest that you don't have the mirror option pack, just standard non dimming, non powerfold mirrors.

You could try and get the build sheet for your car here:-

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

BTW have you checked all the the relevant fuses? If you don't know which fuse does what, get the electrical guide for your car and look it up. Don't assume that just because other things are working that you don't have a blown fuse.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:34 AM

Well anything is possible, but if your side mirrors don't dim and don't powerfold it does suggest that you don't have the mirror option pack, just standard non dimming, non powerfold mirrors.

You could try and get the build sheet for your car here:-

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

BTW have you checked all the the relevant fuses? If you don't know which fuse does what, get the electrical guide for your car and look it up. Don't assume that just because other things are working that you don't have a blown fuse.
Thank you. I'll try the Ford link in a moment. I got no literature manuals etc with my purchase. Can you steer me where to get the electrical guide? Your right, since the mirrors adjust up and down left to right, I assumed the fuse was ok.
Thank you.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you. I'll try the Ford link in a moment. I got no literature manuals etc with my purchase. Can you steer me where to get the electrical guide? Your right, since the mirrors adjust up and down left to right, I assumed the fuse was ok.
Thank you.
You can download the electrical guide from this site. Click on the link for your model year at the top of the page:-
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Markmbaha1 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 01:25 PM

You can download the electrical guide from this site. Click on the link for your model year at the top of the page:-
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
FYI the ford link pulled nothing. . Thanks for the link above. A great source of info. Mark

Old 10-30-2021, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 654 Posts

MARKMBAHA1,

I'm not familiar with a Mirror that turns-in for Parking? The only Mirror I have that moves is the Right Hand (Passenger-side) Mirror that I can make Drop so I can see to back-up....Is this what you are talking about?

If so, the way it works is: Push the selector to the Right -side then Pull the Right-Hand adjustment stick back and the Mirror drops down so you can see what is on the Right hand side of the Car.....Is this what you are trying to do?

It is just to easy Mark!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Old 10-30-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
MARKMBAHA1,

I'm not familiar with a Mirror that turns-in for Parking? The only Mirror I have that moves is the Right Hand (Passenger-side) Mirror that I can make Drop so I can see to back-up....Is this what you are talking about?

If so, the way it works is: Push the selector to the Right -side then Pull the Right-Hand adjustment stick back and the Mirror drops down so you can see what is on the Right hand side of the Car.....Is this what you are trying to do?

It is just to easy Mark!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch
No, some actually electronically fold inward. The whole mirror body then electronically fold back out. You put the selector switch in the. Middle, and pull the adjustment toggle switch back. In a second both mirrors fold in toward the body. I've seen it on video.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 654 Posts

Markmbaha1,

I am familiar with the Fold-in Mirrors, Mark, but what you have been asking is how do you make them fold down for Parking! I don't have the Fold-in Mirrors on my 2005 XKR....Just the Right -Hand Mirror that drops....You might have one's similar to mine but I doubt it on a 2001 XK8....

Billy Clyde

Quick Reply: Side mirror turn in for parking not working