XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

So THIS is being a JAG owner :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default photos of the chain and tensioners

Anyone spot anything I should be concerned with?

You can see the oil around the internal seals/gaskets which they are replacing...

DJ

Attached Thumbnails So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-itk_1980.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-itk_1978.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-itk_1977.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Default Drove her home from Marin today

Finally... the key mechanicals have been addressed...

what a difference.... brakes, engine...

and not sure if its a shimmy or part of the gig with 18's but it seems there's a wiggle from 60-75...

yet they said they balanced the tires... maybe alignment... ??
maybe just the convertible ... haven't driven one in a while

Heading out again... haven't loved a car in a long time...

weeeeeeeeeeee !!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Be aware that these cars often require the tires and wheels to be Hunter Road Force Balanced to get them right. That proved to be the case with ours last year....

Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Glad it's all turned out so well.
The car shouldn't shimmy at low speed like that !!
I notice a weird shimmy under lots of power when front and back wheels hit the white line on the road but suppose that's just grip.
Did you say all four tyres are new ?
Maybe, if so, give them a bit to settle down.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

"...and not sure if its a shimmy or part of the gig with 18's but it seems there's a wiggle from 60-75... "

I assume as detailed as your mechanic was that there is nothing as simple as loose lug nuts or a bearing that they could find by trying to move the wheel back and forth while jacked up.

So +1 on just driving for 500 miles or so and seeing if things settle down first to start this problem-solving. Then the roadforce balance. Mine has the shimmy too. In my case I think it is flatspots as the car was stored for 3 months before I got it and the alignment checked out fine. When I over-inflate the tires to about 42 it is better but still noticeable. My front tires are quite worn and not the original size so I am getting new ones in the spring. Also, I think they gave you ONE new tire in addition to the "like new" other ones. I guess its possible that the three are worn more than the one and creating some of the issue. If all else fails maybe get one more new one across the axle of the new one they already gave you.

Enjoy. This is my second one. I still go out to the garage and stare and smile sometimes and then just go back in..like now when its snowing in Chicago!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Hi Ninemileskid,
When I first picked up my 2002 XKR up in San Jose three years ago and drove back home to Los Angeles, I could not get over the amount of "shimmy" or cowl shake or whatever it was that was causing that shaking and shimmying in the steering wheel. I was disappointed. It's probably, if I recall, why I went looking on this forum for answers. Tried balancing the tires but I knew this wouldn't correct it. And I won't say that it's perfect now, but after replacement of all the front end bushings...it has improved significantly and doesn't bother me much. And while I put the polyurethane bushings in, I am not particularly fond of them and would probably go with stock rubber OEM ones were I to do it again. The poly bushings moan and groan going over bumps and just sound bad. Enjoy.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Default So, this IS being a JAG owner

Welcome to this Elite club, not only the ownership of your recently acquired Cat, but to this amazing Forum!, and Kudo's to your dealer for making things right.
The sheer enjoyment of owning and drivng a Jag is compounded by the wealth of information our fellow Jag fanciers are willing to share. Nice to hear you are reacquainted with your first love, as you both share this new found one(XK)
To date this forum has helped me with repairs to the following:
ashtray lid(if your plastic pivot pins are broken, let me know,got a killer fix), mirror visors, seat control module, rearview mirror, saving big bucks in doing so. Upcoming suspension mods(urethane bushings, lowering springs), head gasket replacement(porting heads and supercharger while apart) are also pending.
My beautiful red XKR may be down for the majority of this year as I slowly complete the big repairs, as time is precious and my work allows me minimal shop time, but I have a BIG roadtrip planned for early 2014 and want the car as perfect as possible before so. Although I have excellent mechanical abilities, I find help from within the forum allows me to tread on unfamiliar ground with steadfast confidence.
Sieze the day and enjoy you regal Cat, the world ahead awaits!!

BK
2000 Phoenix Red/Ivory XKR vert'

The following users liked this post:
9mileskid (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Default Thanks

Takin her to work this morning was a pleasure...

No warning lights... SOLID engine sound... concrete brakes...

Yes HDparts... the ashtray looks like the hinge/pivot pins are shot... but need to take it apart first... PM me your idea

On my list:
Alarm FOBs and extra key
Liner insert for driver's door storage compartment
Ashtray fix
Leather kit for seats
(think I saw a HOW TO redo the center leather armrest to remove wrinkles)
phone/mp3 access
Suspension upgrades
Cold Air
(ways to improve the GROWL)

I THOUGHT I had the upgraded stereo yet the amp is not above the changer while I also have the Alpine extra speakers and subs in back - Amp in a different place??

Couple paint touch ups
Maybe a brand new JAG door sill plate

and of course the mandatory Dead/Jag coffee mug and magnet decal

I'll do a before/after on the leather as well....

Cheers
DJ

btw - Zazzle | Custom T-Shirts, Personalized Gifts, Posters, Art, and more offers customized "stuff"... if anyone wants artwork for their own... I can help... not a photoshop expert by any means but can find my way around. DJ

Attached Thumbnails So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-steal-your-jag.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice to See another XK8 Convert. in the same area I live in Woodland.
May be will get together this Spring and compair if I can help with anything just let me Know!

Mike R 2001 XK8 Convert.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mike R
Nice to See another XK8 Convert. in the same area I live in Woodland.
May be will get together this Spring and compair if I can help with anything just let me Know!

Mike R 2001 XK8 Convert.
Definitely Mike.... Since ours are so close in so many ways... should be fun... and definiely sooner than later. I'm actually right off Garden Hwy by the River so about as close to Woodland without leaving Sac..

Any car shows up here worth checking out?

DJ

Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Mike & 9mile,

If you check out the western region section I have posted an opportunity for a spring run up to Napa. If you are interested let me know.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XK8 Get Together

9mileskid & Dave C

9Mileskid I have sent you a PM with My Phone # Call Any Time and we can set something Up.

Dave C Napa sounds Good Have to Replace TOP Hoses first Hoses are coming as we speak!

Also there is A British car Show at the Dixon Fair Grounds on May 19 they us to have it at the Woodland Fair Grounds but Changed Locations This Year its a Lot of Fun. Lots of Nice CARS!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike R:
9mileskid (02-06-2013), DaveC (02-06-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Too good!

Wow, 9mileskid, you really hit the jackpot with that mechanic! I just purchased a 97 xk8 for $5K, and am tempted to just move down to Marin so I can be close to service like that...someplace that cares about making things right.
I will be taking it to a european repair place here in my little town in hopes of them caring about it. Lots of things to at least look at, and a few to fix for sure. I'm not so good with a wrench on these newer cars. I did pretty well with my old '68 Ford pickup.
Congrats on a great buy!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Default Almost too good to be true

Those that I;ve had look at the car since those services have commented on how they were 85% done...

Balancing had to be completely redone
the gaskets and engine were not exactly cleaned up after resulting in a burining oil smell that is finally going away

But they did replace another of the tires so all new Hercules' all the way round...

and here are some photos of mechanicals while they were doing the tires....

All looks very good - but would love to hear any comments if y'all notice anything.

I'll post a few more as well.
DJ

Attached Thumbnails So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0536.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0544.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0537.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Default 02 xk8

suspension and undercarriage

btw - this work was done by Radial Tire of West Sac.. but I would still highly recommend the people at CA Motors... bending over backward to get stuff done.

Attached Thumbnails So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0535.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0545.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0541.jpg   So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-photo0542.jpg  

Last edited by 9mileskid; 02-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM

One last note... I brought it to Jag of Sac this morning for a free visual inspection after talking to the GM there. Will let y'all know what they say about my Althea...

DJ