Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

OH! OK! Ill take the Kudos back. Sorry!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
No, he fixed Paul's last sentence.

What he said.

Gus,
I'm trying to find the tensioner tools at the moment and I'm going to give Ken a ring tomorrow about the Master link chain and the 3rd gen tensioners (though I sent a Pm already). I'm also trying to find the tensioner tools without having to spend boku bucks on them. I run an auto auction so I get a discount from the local dealers on parts. But %25 off of being bent over the table still %75 too much . Anyway once I have the parts in my hot little hands I'll get to it.

My thought process for those that care is as follows... Compression is good, neigh, GREAT, and I have ABSOLUTELY no blowby whatsoever. Therefore, I'm going to put the masterlink chain on the pass side with a new tensioner. Should the car fire up and idle happily I will replace either ALL the timing gear or just do the secondary chains and tensioners for the time being. If I do just that I will try to put together a write up for it. I own a photography company ( you have to diversify) so I should be able to get some decent photos Shameless Plug www.Kolohephoto.com/galleries I might even bust out the MACRO lens.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Oh and as a side note, there is a guy here on craigslist looking for a new motor for his xk8. I shot him an email in an attempt to help him out. I figured if it was his timing I might be able to do it for him. He's telling me it's knock however. So, I sent him a link to this forum. If anyone has a lead on a decent motor let me know. -Shaun

Oh one more sidenote, My best friend owns one of the larger activity desks in the state www.hawaiiweb.com. You guys have helped me out, So I'm going to help you out to th ebest of my meager ability. If anyone is coming to Hawaii anytime soon, I'll tell him to give you a discount on the activities (tours and what not) in Hawaii. He can't say no to me so that should work out well for whoever takes advantage I don't know what his margins are but I know they fluctuate per activity so the percentage will change based on the activity.

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 12-28-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You should contact GortoCatCar and see if he has the tools. I was the keeper of the tool on another web forum for free loaners. I did think it was unusual that you made the repairs so quickly. As for the photos I used my point and shoot Canon, it works great for this process (one handed). As for the Nikon if I needed a macro I used my 60mm for the best results. I will hold off on the kudos until you finish….

Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM

I shot a pm to Gordo already. I haven't heard back from him yet. But I'm sure I will next week.

I love my canon point and shoot for the occasional quick family shot. but nothing compares to the full fledged dslr and a 100mm macro for those close up Shots of broken engine parts

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 12-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Gus is one too! A photographer I mean.

Great deal on the Hawaii tours! I have probably peaked out on visits to your beautiful island. Six times, but most was business so they really only count half.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by test point
Gus is one too! A photographer I mean.

Great deal on the Hawaii tours! I have probably peaked out on visits to your beautiful island. Six times, but most was business so they really only count half.
Jeez i thought you were calling him an old man too Out of curiosity what business are you in to be fling in and out of Hawaii? And business trips count for less than half because your never their long enough to enjoy anything!

What kind of Nikon do you shoot with Gus? I can't hold the point and shoot steady,and with their narrow apertures and awful, harsh, onboard, flash I can't use them worth a damn. I'm horribly jealous of your auto focus, The auto focus on the Canon is in the dark ages next to most of the Nikons. I picked up a 50d for a backup last year and can say that the noise is so bad I don't even use it. I still like shooting with the 1d MK11 but it's beginning to show it's age on large prints. On the other hand the AF system doesn't constantly mis-focus like the MK3. I think the jury is out on the MK4 at the moment so I think for wait for the first batch of them to go through their rounds before considering it. I'm in love with the color coming out of the 5d MK2 but the autofocus is so bad it renders it useless for anything in motion.

I digress, If I wasn't so burried in Canon glass I would be all over the Nikons right now...

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 12-27-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have two point and shoot cameras. My first was a Cannon PowerShot A95 I could use it on auto and manual but it has died and is no longer with me. The second is a Canon A1000IS nice but no real manual options but takes a good photo. My camera of choice is my Nikon and at the present time I have 3, F100, D100 & 5700. My son has the 5700 and that is a great camera that only got better with the newer and fancier came out. As for the D100, old yes but it does exactly what I want it to do and produces a great photo. My F100 is a film camera that I cannot turn loose. Canon has a great point and shoot but Nikon is my first choice for a full size camera.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone has mentioned on this thread that the Lincoln LS 3.9L '00-'03 used the Jaguar engine. As you might expect, Ford parts prices are substantially less than those same parts sourced from Jaguar suppliers, about 40% less. The parts come in Ford boxes with JAG printed on the part number label.

One poster borrowed/rented the tool set from a local Ford dealer that had never been used. Believable, since the Lincoln had the metal bodied tensioners and I have never heard of them failing.

Check this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22555

Post #14 has the Lincoln part numbers but I found them for less than quoted there.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:42 PM

Hmmm I wonder what else in that engine is interchangeable... perhaps the block is the sleeved version...I bet they are easier to come by for parts too.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:56 PM

SO I was teaching a friend of mine a thing or two about cars today. How to do a compression test and how the timing chain works ect. and when I wrapped the timing chain around the broken tensioner to show how the tensioner worked, I realized that a good section of chain is missing...probably now in the bottom of the timing cover....Sigh.

Last edited by viscoussquirrel; 12-28-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 AM

Also, since a few of the tech gurus are in here, I wrote this up today to help with all the "my car won't start" threads. If you guys would look it over and shoot me some input on what to change that would be great.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30792

Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM

OK, so Ken@british got back yo me today and he doesn't stock the master link timing chains, nor oes he know where I can get them. Does anybody else know where I might be able to find them?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

One poster said he used a motorcycle chain repair link.

Don't know if I would do that but might try the tilt the cams up from the rear process before pulling the front of the engine off. If I remember correctly, the author was a Ford mechanic familiar with similar problems with the Taurus OHC engines.

Once the crank and other side cam is locked down there is no issue with cam alignment on the damaged side. It can only go one way.

There is a fair chance that the missing chain links are in the oil pan which can be removed with the engine in place.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 AM

I'm wondering what will happen with the VVT solenoid if I just lift the cam out?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by viscoussquirrel
I'm wondering what will happen with the VVT solenoid if I just lift the cam out?
A good point. On another forum, a Jag owner (with considerable experience in overhead cam engines) was able to change the secondary chain "from the rear". However, I think he had a XKR without the VVTs.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:06 AM

Screw it. I'm getting the whole shebang from Ken. I'm going to do ALL the timing gear and stop screwing around with the master link chains.

I hope to hell there are no other major problems with this car once I put all that damn expensive timing gear on it!

Anyone have a part number on the aluminum thermostat housing? And the METAL impeller water pump?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by viscoussquirrel
Screw it. I'm getting the whole shebang from Ken. I'm going to do ALL the timing gear and stop screwing around with the master link chains.

I hope to hell there are no other major problems with this car once I put all that damn expensive timing gear on it!

Anyone have a part number on the aluminum thermostat housing? And the METAL impeller water pump?
Ken has all the numbers

Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Check ebay for the thermostat housing. I just saw one there.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by chazaroo
Check ebay for the thermostat housing. I just saw one there.
Thanks there seems to be a plethora of them on there....

Quick Reply: So I bought a broken Ja and have some ?'s