XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Some key related questions 2006 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Some key related questions 2006 XK8

Couple questions about my XK8 Convertible
  • ​​​​​Only came with 1 key. Is there a definitive reference on the forum for duplication? I found a couple articles. Seems like dealer is the easiest choice. What should I expect to pay?
  • Appears to be an aftermarket FOB. Works fine but I'm wondering what the original looked like. Is it jag branded?
  • The "chirp-chirp" seems kind of lame when I click the clicker. Is this normal or might this be aftermarket too?
thanks
pat

Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I paid $550 or so for new key and fob from dealer. The cost is probably 50/50. You can get around the dealer for the FOB (which is branded with a growler logo and covered well in other threads) but the key is a real PITA and may not be any cheaper elsewhere.

The chirp-chirp is a bit muted and dated-- thats probably normal.

The following users liked this post:
pwalsh691 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
I paid $550 or so for new key and fob from dealer. The cost is probably 50/50. You can get around the dealer for the FOB (which is branded with a growler logo and covered well in other threads) but the key is a real PITA and may not be any cheaper elsewhere.

The chirp-chirp is a bit muted and dated-- thats probably normal.
thanks. Dealer quote for key (no programming) was 500+. I'm going to keep looking.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Google/yelp automotive locksmiths and see if anyone local can cut/program a Jaguar Tibbe key. Also try local service shops.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

From the research I have done, the key (and cutting!) can be sourced online. Check this:

americankeysupply.com

It looks like the right key with the right transponder is available. The tibbe code can be read from an existing key, or obtained from the dealer. You could send the vendor a good picture, too, I assume.

You have to buy the key (or 2) and then buy the cutting service separately. Looks like about $50 gets you 2 keys.

Last, you have to pair (all) the keys to the car. I suppose the dealer can do it (1 hour labor?), or a local locksmith, or you could even buy a copy of the factory software and do it yourself.

Last, you can search the forum and check out the conversion of this key into a more modern flip key and fob. These Ford fobs are available new on eBay for fairly cheap. Then, the stem and (already paired) transponder can be transplanted onto the new fob. All for a pretty reasonable expense.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
pwalsh691 (03-18-2017)