XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Soon to have a Jag in the garage...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

attaboy Montauke! That was my first color combo choice, but I couldn't find it with the 19" wheels, so silver was the next option. Great looking car.

My headliner flaps alot and never come apart. If you have the time, use the cover when you take the top down.

Let us know what the ride issues were. Maybe just a bunch of bushings that need replacing. The shocks are good for many years, as well as the springs. The mounts and bushings are the only things offhand that I can think of that might be causing you some problems.

Check those tires out good, see if the tread wear is off, that'll tell you if your alignment is out of spec, and if bad enough, may need to replace them. Get a 'road-force' balance done on the tires, not the regular one. The xks like this balance method more for a smooth ride, trust us.

And maybe check your brake rotors, not sure if that is a source of a shimmy, but maybe if they're warped at all.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

H2O: I'll be taking the XK8 to a Jaguar dealer to get the balancing and alignment done, while there, I'll see if they use the road force method of balancing the tires.

Thanks for the tip on the bushings and mounts that may be the cause for the shakes.

While I like the navy blue (or sapphire blue as Jaguar calls it), my first combo choice was white with tan interior. At least with the darker color, it won't look dirty as fast.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
The dealer can, very easily, produce a DIRECT DEALER WARRANTY - CLAIM HISTORY LIST which is a printout of all of the repairs performed under the origninal warranty and and other factory warranty including the Select Edition Warranty. That report only displays the date, mileage andpart numbers of warranty repairs and therefore should not be subject to the privacy issues of a invoice that contains name and address of previous owners. You will have to identify the principal part number to understand the warranty repair performed.

They can also produce the entire dealer repair history based on the VIN but that produces previous owner's private information. If you can find that owner and get a release you can get complete DEALER repair history.
I was very close to buying a newer model ('06) last month when my 97 was "in the hospital" for an extended period. The 06 is still under factory warranty for another month and will have select edition. But I had a few concerns because it is showing 3 previous owners, and just want to be sure this has not been a problematic vehicle, so I asked the GM to pull the warranty repair history before we finalize the deal.

A month later and several followup calls and I am still waiting. They finally told me this week that they will only be able to pull the records for any repairs that were done at their dealership. Sounds contradictory to what I had heard here and I am really surprised at the delay. I was ready to buy the car as long as it did not show a history of constantly being in and out of the shop, but now will probably walk away from this one (a warranty is all well and good, but if you're constantly driving a loaner...)

Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

I have had the warranty repair report pulled on two cars and it reported all repairs at multiple dealers so it is readily available from the Jaguar data base. It took a service advisor about 5 minutes to hand me the report. They can only do what they want to do.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
I have had the warranty repair report pulled on two cars and it reported all repairs at multiple dealers so it is readily available from the Jaguar data base. It took a service advisor about 5 minutes to hand me the report. They can only do what they want to do.
Thanks, that is what I expected to be able to get and was really surprised when that simple request seemed to derail everything.

The GM and his wife are close friends with many of my close friends and I know him socially through our mutual friends; makes me wonder whether he was trying to steer me away from that car without explicitly saying so (he called last week to let me know about another 06 they have coming in even though I was all set to buy this one...)

Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by tealjag
makes me wonder whether he was trying to steer me away from that car without explicitly saying so (he called last week to let me know about another 06 they have coming in even though I was all set to buy this one...)
That's a good theory. Go see this new arrival when it gets there.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

The Jag dealer here in Cincy was not really willing to do much for me on my car. He pulled a report which had a bunch of codes but he was not willing to see what they all meant. I was a little pissed.
Same dealer, my car had the dreaded busted tensioner, he wanted to put a new motor in the car more or less. I had a local car shop that was worked on these cars, these breaks, repair it for me and she has been purring ever since. So once again a dealer has instilled NO faith in them from me.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
Veteran member

Tim, not every dealer will be the same. It all depends on the people working in the service department. If you lose confidence in one, try to find another one in the area. Nothing wrong with independent shops doing the work that can be done elsewhere either. I've given my share to those indy's as well.