Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Issue

I have a 2004 XK8 with a speedo issue.

The problem is intermittent but happens frequently. When driving the speedo needle will slowly move all the way around the dial, it’s seems to move then stick so the 0 mph where the needle would rest when stationary moves around the dial until it has gone all the way round and can’t move any further, and stays there.

I can return the needle back to its correct position by switching the ignition on and off a number of times and the needle will step back each time back to the stationary position of 0mph, I can then drive the vehicle and it may be fine until the next time.
When the needle is stuck the speedo still records distance traveled in miles correctly.
Any help with this issue would be most appreciated

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/ee59743f-4145-4445-89da-9b0d77f48dbf[/img]

Old 12-24-2021, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 501 Posts

Is the needle touching the dial face and sticking ?

Old 12-24-2021, 06:13 AM

No I don’t think so, it looks fine

Old 12-24-2021, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Sounds like you have a problem with the stepper motor in the dial. There is nothing mechanical about a speedometer any more, the ECU and transmission send information to the instrument cluster which does some math to display the speed and calculate the mileage.

You likely have an instrument cluster repair in your future, either send it out or DIY if you are pretty handy with electronics.

The following users liked this post:
Mjs128 (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 03:40 AM

I’ll do that I’ll get it out and send it off for repair, if anyone has any recommendations of where to send it in the U.K. it would be much appreciated

Old 12-25-2021, 03:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Javlin1961
I’ll do that I’ll get it out and send it off for repair, if anyone has any recommendations of where to send it in the U.K. it would be much appreciated
Some suggestions to search:

Autotronics (Leicester)
https://www.autotronics.co.uk/produc...cluster-repair

Cluster Repairs UK (Waltham Abbey)
Jaguar Instrument Cluster Repairs

Cartronix (Waterlooville)
https://cartronix.co.uk/product/jagu...panel-failing/

Totaltronics (Wareham)
https://totaltronics.com/instrument-...luster-repair/

Graham

Old 12-25-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Javlin1961
I have a 2004 XK8 with a speedo issue.

The problem is intermittent but happens frequently. When driving the speedo needle will slowly move all the way around the dial, it’s seems to move then stick so the 0 mph where the needle would rest when stationary moves around the dial until it has gone all the way round and can’t move any further, and stays there.

I can return the needle back to its correct position by switching the ignition on and off a number of times and the needle will step back each time back to the stationary position of 0mph, I can then drive the vehicle and it may be fine until the next time.
When the needle is stuck the speedo still records distance traveled in miles correctly.
Any help with this issue would be most appreciated

[img]blob:https://www.jaguarforums.com/ee59743f-4145-4445-89da-9b0d77f48dbf[/img]
This is easy and free... Takes a bit of fiddling though.

Is there anything else with the cluster acting up?

Way under the steering column is a knee bolster or some strangely named thing. There are 2 10mm bolts that hold it in place way under there. Partially remove the two bolts and lift the bolster up and then it will come out of it's holding tabs up higher on the dash just under the cosmetic face of the instrument cluster. Now careful! There are 2 plugs you'll need to remove before you can completely take the knee bolster away. One for the HVAC temperature reader. The other for the trunk and fuel door release - I think.

​​​​​ONice this is done, sit in the driver's seat. Lower the steering column all the way while you're sitting in the car. Have a phillips head screwdriver.

​​​There will be 2 phillips screws at the bottom cosmetic face of the instrument cluster. Undo them carefully. Then, wiggle the cosmetic face of the cluster out of the way. CAREFUL for the two tabs (plastic) that hold the upper section of the cosmetic cluster cover in place. Takes some wiggling. Set aside in the passenger seat or something

Now,,,,,, DISCONNECT the battery! It's important. Then,,,

You'll see two plugs at the bottom of the instrument cluster. One black one yellow... There is a little plastic push tab. Push in the tab and slowly and carefully swing the "arm" of the plug up and towards you. The swinging of the "arm" will lift the plug out of it's socket. I think it's cool the way it's made. Do this with both yellow and black connectors... Then,,,

Inspect them and clean the hell out of em. I've gotten a great product learned about on the Porsche forums. DeOxIt D5. But electrical contact cleaner works. Use a small soft plastic bristle brush, let dry completely and return plugs... When dry

Before reinstalling the cosmetic cover and the knee bolster, reconnect the battery and take the car for a drive. See what ya got.

If all is well reinstall stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
DavidYau (12-26-2021), Johnken (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 01:55 AM
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts

How is it no-one has suggested a hard reset so far? Just wouldn't work?

Old 12-26-2021, 06:46 AM

Thanks for you’re comments, I think its likely that there is some fault with the speedo, as everything else works fine on the instrument cluster, I have done a hard reset a number of times but still have the same problem

Old 12-26-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 501 Posts

Unfortunately you cannot just swap the instrument package for a used one as they are coded to the vehicle to prevent milage fraud

Old 12-26-2021, 08:30 AM

Yes I’ve been told that, so I’ll send the faulty one off for repair, and keep my fingers crossed it can be fixed.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

Possible correction to the Phillips Screwdriver mention in post #7. Check closely for marks on the heads of the screw, it is probably a Posi Drive #2. Discovered this general error when a #2 Phillips is mentioned on the European cars. Actually the screws holding the upper and lower cowling around the steering column & wheel; as well as nearly all screws holding switch pack and other parts under the air bag were Posi Drive #2, excepting a few Torx. Using Phillips #2 is reason they "Cam Out". Phillips were designed to "Cam Out." Anyone had problems with Japanese or Asian screw heads that looked to be Phillips? They are not ,but a JTIS screwdriver head works as they are designed for them only. Many problems are eliminated by having the correct tools.