XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport mode?

I've been keeping the Jag in sport mode setting at all times. What's the consensus out there? Are most folks doing the same? Any issues. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

When I first got the car I kept it in sport mode all the time but it never really felt sporty at all. So as a comparison I took it off "sportless" mode and couldn't really tell any difference. Of course I drive the car rather gently and that is probably part of the story. On the other hand our other car (2012 Acura TL) feels like a different car in sport mode even with my gentle style of driving. Ditto for other cars I have driven that have sport mode settings. Presumably what the so-called sport mode provides on the XK8/XKR is delay of the up-shift points under hard acceleration and that is about it.

Doug

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

The only time I find myself in normal is after the wife has driven and she takes it out of sport mode. Sport mode clearly changes the upshift points and seems to go into "hyperdrive" with less throttle pressure. I'm sure some of the experts can tell us exactly what the sport mode does.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Sport mode changes the shift points. Allows the engine to rev higher before shifting and activates the kick down with lower peddle pressure. I usually leave mine in normal mode unless I am passing or find a particularly interesting back road. I don't think it makes much difference tooling around town.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

The only significant difference I've noticed is an increase in fuel consumption when driving in Sport mode. Granted, it is my wife's car and I rarely drive it....

Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
When I first got the car I kept it in sport mode all the time but it never really felt sporty at all. So as a comparison I took it off "sportless" mode and couldn't really tell any difference. Of course I drive the car rather gently and that is probably part of the story. On the other hand our other car (2012 Acura TL) feels like a different car in sport mode even with my gentle style of driving. Ditto for other cars I have driven that have sport mode settings. Presumably what the so-called sport mode provides on the XK8/XKR is delay of the up-shift points under hard acceleration and that is about it.

Doug
Yep, it seems to me that it only extends the shift points to a higher rpm when you are driving it somewhat aggressively. If you are driving it pretty moderately, it doesn't really do much at all. That is why I leave mine in Sport mode all of the time, in case I want to pass someone or maneuver in traffic it is there at the ready, otherwise, it seems that there is little difference between the two.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also from a stop the car will usually start in 2nd for a smoother ride but when it's in Sports mode it will use the 1st gear.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

If it's the ZF that's also in the S-Type then it learns how you actually behave. If you want Sport to be different, drive differently when in Sport. I only engage it when about to do something requiring more spirit and it's learned that.

The following users liked this post:
PaulCarr (09-26-2014)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

It's been a while since I looked but I've never seen comparative performance figures in any of the road tests for Normal versus Sport Mode.

Graham

Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

I know the X308 is not the same car but same ZF auto. Mine car feels "dead" in normal it is always in so called Sport mode.
It is far more responsive in sport but does any-one know if sport mode turns off traction/stability?

The car "stepped out" on a wet road at 110KPH (65MPHish) going around a corner/accelerating out of a corner. Reduced confidence a bit. I did use normal for the rest of the drive home.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
I know the X308 is not the same car but same ZF auto. Mine car feels "dead" in normal it is always in so called Sport mode.
It is far more responsive in sport but does any-one know if sport mode turns off traction/stability?

The car "stepped out" on a wet road at 110KPH (65MPHish) going around a corner/accelerating out of a corner. Reduced confidence a bit. I did use normal for the rest of the drive home.
Although I can't find any direct reference to Sport Mode being linked to ASC/TRAC, both the X308 and XK8 handbooks advise 'upshifts will be inhibited when cornering at high speed'.

This inhibit has to be a function of steering wheel angle and throttle position and therefore using two of the same inputs as ASC.

Graham

Gippsland (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

The STR also uses the accelerometers to inhibit shifts.

No, Sport does not turn off TC/DSC, at least not on the S-Type and it would be bizarre to turn it off on any model.

Gippsland (12-06-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default XKR Sport mode = significant improvement

If I'm stopped, and press the Sport button you can hear something change.

Mine launches off the line significantly stronger, and I've tested it both ways.

Also, first gear max thrust from 1500 rpm to 5000 rpm is something I do all the time as the torque is simply too much fun not to use all the time. Muscle-cars and sports cars beware :-)

Old 12-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by weisberg
If I'm stopped, and press the Sport button you can hear something change.

Mine launches off the line significantly stronger, and I've tested it both ways.

Also, first gear max thrust from 1500 rpm to 5000 rpm is something I do all the time as the torque is simply too much fun not to use all the time. Muscle-cars and sports cars beware :-)
I have listened and felt for anything to change when pushing the Sport mode button on and off and can detect nothing. Are you sure you are not experiencing some placebo effect like when after washing the car it always seems to be faster, etc?

Doug

Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

I have two cars, sport mode and not. Not is somewhat of a pig; sport is what I expect out of this car. Not a placibo effect.

I'll be away a couple weeks, but will compare 0-60 times when I get back.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Keep in mind that the 02 and older cars use the Mercedes 5spd and the 03+ cars use the ZF 6 spd. I do believe that for the Mercedes box, that it starts in 2nd gear unless sport is used, so that might be the difference that can be felt.

For the ZF, all I've noticed is that it holds gears longer. If you accelerate like a fool (hooligan?) and you get out of the throttle, it will hold gears for quite a while expecting you to resume your foolery (hooliganery?).

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Keep in mind that the 02 and older cars use the Mercedes 5spd and the 03+ cars use the ZF 6 spd. I do believe that for the Mercedes box, that it starts in 2nd gear unless sport is used, so that might be the difference that can be felt.

For the ZF, all I've noticed is that it holds gears longer. If you accelerate like a fool (hooligan?) and you get out of the throttle, it will hold gears for quite a while expecting you to resume your foolery (hooliganery?).

Maybe that is why some people state they feel a big difference and others don't. I kept hearing that the car normally starts off in 2nd gear unless Sport mode is selected but that certainly does not seem the case for my car--it always feels the same from a dead start but that might be because I have the ZF. If it is true that the Merc trans starts in 2nd unless you hit Sport, then that would definitely be a difference you would notice.

In my wife's Acura TL, starting out in S instead of D is quite a dramatic difference. The pedal is hugely more responsive (even with my easy driving style) and the gears hold a long time between shifts. That car definitely feels like something more is going on in S than just extending shift points.

Doug

Old 12-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member

I have listened and felt for anything to change when pushing the Sport mode button on and off and can detect nothing. Are you sure you are not experiencing some placebo effect like when after washing the car it always seems to be faster, etc?

Doug
It learns. So if your car has not been driven like his in S then it won't do what his car does.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Doug
Mine car is certainly faster after a wash. I'm glad I chose a Black Jag as I don't need the extra speed of the Red ones.

Scottanglin (12-28-2015)
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I must be suffering the placebo effect - when I use sport there is not only the difference in change up points, but also I could swear the suspension feels firmer and the brakes sharper. There is less wallow, and more of a jolt going over bumps and it seems to be a bit flatter in the bends.

When I use normal mode I find it is constantly shifting up as high as it will go, and then has to keep kicking down when I want to accelerate. I seem to get less MPG in normal than sport so I leave that S button lit when I've got an open road, but put it back in normal when in traffic and I want the brake pedal less sharp.

Of course, all that could be a figment of my imagination......

Quick Reply: Sport mode?